Fall Carp Fishing

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
pacarper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 463
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/16 16:34:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: clay516

Wonder were all the carp are in arthur.  I saw that when the commission did a study they caught a couple 30lb+ carp.  Is there just that many cats?  Thought about tring arthur[as it would prolly not a half hour of my travel] but if you aint catching them.......  Whats your biggest outa there? 

There's some pigs in there.  There's just so many **** cats in there to get through.  Sometimes a carper will get into a bunch of carp and catch pretty good recently, but catfish rule there so far.  Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I should be throwin' the **** nuisance cats up in the woods to feed the critters.  Some of the channel cats are pretty nice size though, still mainly a PIA tho.
My biggest Pixburgh stillhead from there is upper teens, but I'll get a pig from there yet.
clay516
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/17 04:56:40 (permalink)
Are we the only ones that carp fish?  When I tell people all I fish for is carp they look at we sideways.  Why do you want to catch them?  I say cause I like when they rip 100 yards of line off your reel and fight till there totally worn out.  And that might be 45min later.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/17 06:28:28 (permalink)

Are we the only ones that carp fish?  When I tell people all I fish for is carp they look at we sideways.  Why do you want to catch them?  I say cause I like when they rip 100 yards of line off your reel and fight till there totally worn out.  And that might be 45min later.

Yep, we're freaks.  That's why they have this separate carp/catfish section, to keep us away from the normal anglers.  Actually, most of the carpers around here are to be found at the paylakes.  But they'll be a few of us gettin' together at the beach next month.
Here's a video with some carpin' and and cattin': http://www.myoutdoortv.com/video/video.php?v=yyR1jbp8rr8ZIRYbHimXRtvcSrBApgsl
You do know there are carp only forums out there too?
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/17 19:35:05 (permalink)
Good video thanks and another good thing you dont really need a boat and 1000$s in lures.  I cant find a good carp forum that has any action on it.  Any suggestions?  Caught 11 today but no 20s.  Its fun to win money at the paylakes but I get more thrill catching them in the wild.  More challenging and better fighting. 
post edited by clay516 - 2009/10/17 19:37:44
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/17 23:56:37 (permalink)
Here' some mainly carp-specific forums:
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php
http://www.uscarppro.com/forum/
http://www.southernpaylaker.com/ (mainly for southern carp paylakes, but does have a section for PA paylakes)
http://www.acsdatacenter.com/  (this forum is kinda dead, still  some info. on the website itself)

Here's a bunch of carp-related links:
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/carplinks.html
post edited by pacarper - 2009/10/17 23:58:56
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/19 19:30:25 (permalink)
Thank ya.  I was already a member on a few of them.  Southern looks pretty busy. I read your post about the fish you caught from both ends in one night.  Down the mon long time ago I caught the same little carp 14x in about 5hrs.  I see 84 still on there.  Someone put the bad word on 84 and the southern paylakers dropped them from the tourneys.  Have you caught alot of mirrors out of wilhelm?  I got 4 of them already.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/19 23:55:40 (permalink)

Thank ya.  I was already a member on a few of them.  Southern looks pretty busy. I read your post about the fish you caught from both ends in one night.  Down the mon long time ago I caught the same little carp 14x in about 5hrs.  I see 84 still on there.  Someone put the bad word on 84 and the southern paylakers dropped them from the tourneys.  Have you caught alot of mirrors out of wilhelm?  I got 4 of them already.

****, were ya fishing in the handicap zone?  That carp was either retarded or starving. 
Yeah, it the north vs. south at the PA paylakes------some of the close-minded regulars don't like the southern techniques invasion up here I guess.  Pretty funny.  Buster (the guy that runs the SP forum) filled me in on the situation awhile back.  I hear the southern packbaits dominated at 84 this year.
I haven't caught a lot mirrors there, but some.  MY PB mirror came from Wilhelm at 19 lbs.  Shawnee Lake is da place for mirrors.

Hey, I was at the river Mon. evening and I caught 22 carp in a few hours----it was stupid, I caught a carp on almost every cast.  This spot was behind a pizza shop where they feed the carp, so they hang out there all the time----it was almost too easy.  I had been catching some carp flyfishing for 'em at this spot, but went up there and fished normal with bread and corn puffs (caught a few on these off the surface, the rest on bread, free lining).  I figured they would spook and scatter after awhile, but they kept on rippin'.  It was about dark and I was tired of catching 'em, so I left.  And no, I didn't catch the same carp 22 times.
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/20 20:21:50 (permalink)
22 fish!!  Nice!  Any size to them?  We used to float bread behind the locks were all the debris collect and catch one about every cast.  Problem was they were hard to get in.  You ever notice the mouths on most of them carp at wilhelm.  Huge mouths and big fat lips. 
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/20 20:35:51 (permalink)
Shawnee Lake is da place for mirrors.

Don't let the cat out of the bag

He forgot to also mention all of them are skinny ****es  LOL

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/21 02:31:32 (permalink)

22 fish!!  Nice!  Any size to them?  We used to float bread behind the locks were all the debris collect and catch one about every cast.  Problem was they were hard to get in.  You ever notice the mouths on most of them carp at wilhelm.  Huge mouths and big fat lips. 

I hung the biggest one on the scale-----14-15 lbs.  The rest were mostly 5 -10 lbs.  They all fought like crazy tho.  I guess they got used to all the hook-free pizza crust.  So i figured it was time to give 'em sore lips and **** 'em off.  A fish warden even stopped by to check my license----I guess he figured sumtin' illegal was going on when he saw me rippin' all those carp.
Yep, them Wilhelm carp got some CSLs.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/21 08:36:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

Shawnee Lake is da place for mirrors.

Don't let the cat out of the bag

He forgot to also mention all of them are skinny ****es  LOL

That cat was let out of the bag long ago-------I remember seeing a certain someone on a Shawnee Fish-in flier holding a mirror a few years back.

The PFBC should remove some of those malnourished skinny ****es from Shawnee and throw 'em in a landfill, now that their done at North Park Lake:  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09288/1005424-54.stm
Yinz guys probably saw this article already, but the PFBC doesn't apparently think much of carp and buffalo----course us carpers have known that for awhile.
post edited by pacarper - 2009/10/21 08:38:28
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/21 19:24:50 (permalink)
Yep like they say carp are garbage fish.  Im glad people think like that leaves more for us to catch.
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/21 19:51:05 (permalink)
That flier is like 4 years old now? I still have that old rod laying somewhere behind all the euro **** LOL...

I'll always remember that mirror cause Joe was saying he never caught a mirror outta that lake before around the same time  

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/21 20:00:04 (permalink)
Yep like they say carp are garbage fish.  Im glad people think like that leaves more for us to catch.

More anglers = Tougher conditions overtime also, that's why I shut my mouth when people ask me what I'm catching, what I'm using, what's that, dumb crap like that got on my nerves after a few years of hearing it. Lately I been telling people that ask I'm fishing for bIg **** bLuGiL and they look at me like I'm nuts

I think this weekend I'll fish for those bIg **** alIgatoR GAr the fish commission stocked on Friday
post edited by Mountian Man - 2009/10/21 20:03:58

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/22 04:18:46 (permalink)

That flier is like 4 years old now? I still have that old rod laying somewhere behind all the euro **** LOL...

I'll always remember that mirror cause Joe was saying he never caught a mirror outta that lake before around the same time  

So that cat's been out of the bag for about 4 years then.
What is that old outfit----a wal-mart special?
I remember that mirror bleeding like a stuck pig from the gills and Tim and I having a discussion about whether it was going to live after being released.  It's probably still alive today unless a bfer stuck it since.  You should do like the PFBC would do and toss all those Shawnee mirrors in a landfill.
post edited by pacarper - 2009/10/22 04:39:01
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/22 04:37:35 (permalink)

Actually PFBC officials had a meeting last year (I know, because a commissioner contacted me about it) to try and make common carp a gamefish.  If the geniuses would of read their own laws, they would of seen carp were already considered a gamefish in PA, by default.  Plus they were already listed on their website as a popular PA sportfish: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/education/catalog/popularsportfishes.pdf  And there were some local outdoor articles published at that time, trying to promote the sporting qualities of carp: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_570236.html
But lets throw 'em in a landfill----------can ya say hypocrites??
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/22 18:08:02 (permalink)
Ya hard to believe they would publish that they took mthem to a land fill.  I wanted to rescue the ones outa north park but it was like quick sand.  Sunk up to my knee.  Throw em the crick givem to 84 something ya know.  Amazing thing was that out of all the dead fish laying on the lake bed I could not spot one carp.  they were all still in the water.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/23 23:29:10 (permalink)

Ya hard to believe they would publish that they took mthem to a land fill.  I wanted to rescue the ones outa north park but it was like quick sand.  Sunk up to my knee.  Throw em the crick givem to 84 something ya know.  Amazing thing was that out of all the dead fish laying on the lake bed I could not spot one carp.  they were all still in the water.

Yep, they certainly contradicted themselves, but no surprise, coming from a gov't. run agency.
I bet they didn't even think to check and see if the paylakes were interested in the carp and buffalo.

I've never been to North Park Lake-------ya know if the carp that are/were in there were of any size?
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/25 20:46:26 (permalink)
The ones I saw were 10 to 15lbs.  More towards 10lb range.  Did see a nice one that was every bit of 15.
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/10/28 09:42:55 (permalink)

More anglers = Tougher conditions overtime also, that's why I shut my mouth when people ask me what I'm catching, what I'm using, what's that, dumb crap like that got on my nerves after a few years of hearing it. Lately I been telling people that ask I'm fishing for bIg **** bLuGiL and they look at me like I'm nuts

I think this weekend I'll fish for those bIg **** alIgatoR GAr the fish commission stocked on Friday

Yep I was down deep creek with the in laws and started mixing up some carp bait and my father in law says what are doing?  I say Carp.  He laughs and says retard fish.  I laugh and eventually hook into one 16lbs.  Caught couple more and before you know thats all he fishes for now.  So callled retard fish.  The first one he hooked into exploded his reel and snpped him off.  People look at you sideways when you say carp but when you hook into one it sure draws a crowd.
mmagreg
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/02 02:16:16 (permalink)
I had my 5 yr old cousin come fishing with me this summer and made sure his first experience fighting a fish was a carp... i'm pretty sure it was his first adrenaline rush! lol... he loved it... he is now truly 'hooked' on fishing.

Someone mentioned gar... under the 16th Street Bridge in Pittsburgh i always see longnosed gar... i made a rope lure thinking i would go after them but never did... i saw them all summer long while walking across the bridge tho.

www.steelcityanglers.net.tc
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/03 17:53:37 (permalink)
 If you guys are not far from Butler, check out the Northwest fishing report for Lake Onidea www.fish.state.pa.us

Biggest Carps I've ever seen were in Arthur
 I'll try & get my son to post one he caught on a swimbait, 40" around 40 lbs. from there.

Hope this helps.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/04 00:14:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

If you guys are not far from Butler, check out the Northwest fishing report for Lake Onidea www.fish.state.pa.us

Biggest Carps I've ever seen were in Arthur
I'll try & get my son to post one he caught on a swimbait, 40" around 40 lbs. from there.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I've seen a few pics of some pigs from Arthur.  This report for Arthur is pretty funny, but true:
Fishing and Boating Report - October 14, 2009
Butler County Lake Arthur – Catches of channel catfish and yellow perch are picking up with the fall season in full swing.  Shoreline anglers are catching nice-sized cats off the bottom with night crawlers, and large perch are biting almost anything that dangles from a bobber set up! (Rt. 528 access area is a good place to try).  Caution to Common Carp anglers; the catfish do not discriminate between baits!  To your likely disappointment, dough balls and corn kernels will be fair game for big channel cats.
D a m n channel cats are a major annoyance there, trust me.

Did he catch his carp recently?  Be cool to see a pic of it.
post edited by pacarper - 2009/11/04 00:32:35
mmagreg
New Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/04 19:57:44 (permalink)
Went out today, downtown pittsburgh, looking for some bass and found a nice carp hole below the 16th street bridge. So i went back later with some corn and caught a couple decent carp. Lost two hefty ones tho. I only had the one rod on me and it is spooled with 8 lb test unfortunately. I saw a massive one swimming around there too.

Mountian Man
Pro Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/04 20:17:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pacarper
You should do like the PFBC would do and toss all those Shawnee mirrors in a landfill.

The Colvins area smells like a landfill (or was it a cesspool) over summer anyways  

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/05 15:41:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mmagreg

Went out today, downtown pittsburgh, looking for some bass and found a nice carp hole below the 16th street bridge. So i went back later with some corn and caught a couple decent carp. Lost two hefty ones tho. I only had the one rod on me and it is spooled with 8 lb test unfortunately. I saw a massive one swimming around there too.

Nice!  Any size to the ones you caught?  Used to love to fish the river till someone turned me on to this certain lake.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/05 16:10:25 (permalink)
Caught the couple fish below at a local park lake last week.  Thought the top one was a 20 lber., but turned out to be 19 lb. 5 oz. once weighed.  Bottom one was a 14 lber.  Caught 7 carp last week from this lake between 12-20 lbs.  Small lake, but ya have to work hard to catch the few carp (I'm speculating) that are in there, but they are usually worth the effort.
Hopefully we'll get into some bigger carp at Wilhelm this weekend, hopefully even a 30+ lber!

Attached Image(s)

mmagreg
New Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/05 16:56:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mmagreg

Nice!  Any size to the ones you caught?  Used to love to fish the river till someone turned me on to this certain lake.

The ones i landed weren't very big. I saw some real nice sized ones tho. I said 16th street bridge but I'm not sure why... it was at the 9th street bridge where the Alcoa building is.

Here is one of the fish i caught.

post edited by mmagreg - 2009/11/05 16:59:29

clay516
Avid Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/05 17:51:30 (permalink)
Nice fish gentlemen!  Music to my eyes.  How them fish fighting in that local park Carper?  What line you using this weeekend? 
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Fall Carp Fishing 2009/11/05 18:14:30 (permalink)

Nice fish gentlemen!  Music to my eyes.  How them fish fighting in that local park Carper?  What line you using this weeekend? 

Can't fish after Oct. at this park, but not been very impressed with the fight of these fish there, they seem to like to run towards ya a lot of times.  I have caught a few 20 lbers over the years from there so not bad.

I use braid a lot anymore----20 lb. power pro on my shorter rod.  30-50 lb. brain on my long rod,  although I have gone back to a spool of 12 lb. big game mono with a braided shock leader.  May end up breaking out my long range rod this weekend so I can get out there about 100yds if necessary.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: