The Week Away

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/04 12:36:13 (permalink)

The Week Away

Well 7 days on the SR was nothing short of fantastic. I fished the DSR the entire 7 and it ran from few fish on Sat >9/26 to THOUSANDS on Sunday & Monday then back to few salmon & more trout. NYY if you had made the trip up on sun or monday you for sure would have caught fish but as you well know the saying goes "should'a been here yesterday" .
I tokk some pics but not nearly as many as I should have. Almost every species of fish was caught except & atlantic and the 3 screaming steelhead that were lost. I also failed to capture a picture of the gnarly coho's that were landed.
The weather ? well it rained every single day from sat>fri and at times down right buckets.
So the report :
With the big push of salmon on labor day weekend, the run of coho's on weds >16th and the thousands of kings & coho's last sun & monday the new salmon are for sure winding down but on a good not there were lots of trout moving in all last week.
For those who still wish to chase Salmon I would suggest fishing the mid>upper river. For me I'll still be fishing the lower river.
So here are a few shots I took.

as fresh as they get

the only place the fly should be

this brown was around 8lbs.

this one around 5lbs.and had been foul hooked before

the only fish landed on friday but a huge est 13lb. brown was lost

the ever popular spring hole empty up & down

from my campsite which was well worth the $19.00 per. nite fee.
the lake was roaring every day but friday & sat.Notice the slight break in the rain? An hour from thene it was heavy rain & thunder storm.

so thats it,I passed Jimmy on the thruway as I was heading home and he was heading out. I'm sure he will have a few fish stories to tell as well.
I'm going to try another brooktrout pond sometime this week then back on the Tribs for trout befor the bow heads out to the hardwoods.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

15 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 14:41:07 (permalink)
    WOW RJ those are some great fish !!!
    Beautiful photo's too.

How do i get in on a few of those ?
    Never caught a salmon or steelhead and my biggest brown is 19" .... i can't imagine what those beast are like !!!!

I have never even held a fly rod, i assume spinning gear would work fine ?

Could i pull that off in a day trip, i am fine with getting up real early and driving long distances ?

Thanks,
    BB

Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 15:38:21 (permalink)
    Those are some ugly looking salmon you got there RJ, with the exception of that one half silver, nothing like when we were pulling them out of the lake in August, but I sure bet they were a blast in the river. Those browns on the other hand are beautiful fish. If your going to be out on the SR anymore this year let me know as I would love to join you for a day of catching or at least trying to catch a couple more kings this year. 
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 16:20:08 (permalink)
    Geese RJ!!! those are sweet! great pics as well. You look like your in your element there for sure. 

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 18:18:54 (permalink)
    Brian this goes for Duane as well, I think you could handle those beasts fine (yea they are ugly). A day trip (suicide) as they are called is possible but I just cant take driving 6 hrs. to fish 7hrs. anymore. Pretty much done with salmon already and now the focus is on Brown & steelhead (trout). They fish all winter until late April but mind you it gets cold up there(had I Jimmy out in -3degs, well he kept the truck warm LOL) and the wind is always against you.
    I was planning on getting back up next week (fri) but I'll have to see how things go here.
    My other plan was to go the 22nd >25th but today I just learned my wife booked us a hotel in Canada that weekend so she wins out there.
    A firm plan is the 30th > nov-1 and that will not change so anyone is welcome to come (I think I can get Jimmy along then also)
    After that I'll be fishing hard until the big bang day comes (gun season).

I think maybe we (I thought of this earlier) should plan a Slammin' Salmon Jam next year.
    The last week in sept. is always a good bet and as always I'll be there for 7days.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 19:31:07 (permalink)
    Nice stuff HT, I think I've told you I am not much for salmon fishin, but I always like seeing then, especially with no jewelry all over their body. For 2 years I was fishin the salmon river every weekend and most of the time it was just day trips, it is exhausting but always worth it.

BB you'd be fine with spinning gear it is more about a good pair of waders and boots, especially late in october and november.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 21:49:06 (permalink)
    Man oh man can I pick the places not to go to or what?  I might have spooked em all away on ya if I went RJ.  Great pics for sure- must have been a blast.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/04 22:27:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

WOW RJ those are some great fish !!!
    Beautiful photo's too.

How do i get in on a few of those ?
    Never caught a salmon or steelhead and my biggest brown is 19" .... i can't imagine what those beast are like !!!!

I have never even held a fly rod, i assume spinning gear would work fine ?

Could i pull that off in a day trip, i am fine with getting up real early and driving long distances ?

Thanks,
    BB

Brian,
         My buddy and I did a couple suicides later in the season last year after Selkirk Shores closed. They are tough. We would leave here about 3AM so we would be standing in the river by sunrise, fish til dark, grab a bite to eat and head back. Takes a toll for sure. If you can't manage to stay over you should at least try get a couple hours shut eye before heading back. Differently not a run to make solo.
                   Tight Lines Mate....Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/05 09:36:10 (permalink)
    Great fish RJ. I'm jealous. Gotta love weekdays on the SR!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/06 11:11:39 (permalink)
    Great photos, Tuna!

That Brown is a chubby mutha', huh?

I cruised out that way on Saturday afternoon to meet up with some folks that 'guilted' me into a road trip at the last minute.  It was well worth the drive on Saturday, but coming home late on Sunday was a tough drive.  I was worn out, sore arms, no sleep...  A quintessential Salmon River trip, for sure.

The salmon were running in full force- and watching a native Pulaski-ian work his magic on his won strethc of the river was really a sight to behold.  Holy crap- it was insane.  He averaged LITERALLY over a hundred hook-ups on Sunday and said it's about 'normal'.  He landed more Salmon than the three of us could count- and broke off who knows how many just because they were going to be too tough to handle in tight quarters.

What a display.

I hooked a few dozen myself in his own run of the river (which I now lovingly refer to as the CSR- "Chris's Steelhead Run" or more fittingly, the "Free SR") and then we spend Sunday afternoon around Pineville (got two small browns on the noodle rod and centerpin setup, love it) and then finished the day off with several hours a the Sportsman Pool...  TONS of people, but hooked up on fish all afternoon and evening.

My arms literally hurt.  My buddy did lose a BEAST of a brown trout.  The thing had to be at least 15lbs...

It had a nose on it like Gonzo from "The Muppet Show"...  Full kype- what a grizzled veteran it was!

Broke him off right at our feet after an epic battle of give and take on 10lb floro...  Wow.

Here's a few shots from the weekend outing on the Lake "O" tribs:

This is my stepbrother's buddies house right on the river downtown.  You can see where we were fishing (where no one is) and then where the private property begins and the "Town Pool" starts.  Big difference!

Here is my stepbrother and his buddy "doubled up" right behind his house.  Check out the lack of people downriver.  Everyone always gripes about Posted Property, but when you're on the 'good side' of the sign it really kicks arse!  It felt like our own little world- and carrying fish to the car was a breeze, ha!

Here is the first one I landed:

Here is a beast "The Salmon Jedi" wailed on in about ten minutes.  It is insane to see him manhandle a 30lb King Salmon with a fly rod and 8-10lb test.  Truly a magician, no doubt:

Here is my stepbrother netting one:

The funniest sight of the weekend was walking across the bridge at Pineville and seeing an old beat up Honda Civic drive by with the stereo rocking.  We looked closer and noticed the car had four salmon hanging out each front door, some so big their tails were dragging on the road.  "Only in this town" was all I could say to myself.

We carried ours around a little more professionally- in the back of a truck:

Some Steelhead rolled in at various times during the day on Sunday too.  I got a call from my buddies this morning and they said the river has been raised to 750cfs, so any salmon still in the estuary should be on the move supriver right now.  Same with all those Steelies, woo hoo!  We ahd to keep this one because the leader basically filleted his gill...  But it was appreciated by the family who recieved the "donation":

It was a good time, and as always, I learned a lot.

I ended up having a noodle rod given to me- so I may be taking a new approach to the winter Steelheads this year...  It is really quite fun- and a lot like 'nymphing' or high-sticking with a fly.

But I think it ups my odds at a bruiser Brown Trout or acrobatic Chromer later this year!

I am booked solid for October weekends, but I can't help but think I will be out there a few weekends in November looking for some of those gigantic Browns or Metalheads!  It's quite an amazing fishery, really.

Just busy- and Salmon are ugly.  Ha!

Steelhead are the BOMB!!!  And big browns are the coolest LOOKING of them all.

I sort of wish the DEC would lay off the salmon stocking and just go CRAZY with Steelhead in there!

They are awesome!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/06 11:28:22 (permalink)
    VERY nice Jimmy , awesome stuff !

Has to be nice to have a personal little piece of shore there. Water looks great.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/06 18:40:00 (permalink)
    Nice Pic's Jimmy and some sweet water he has there. Is it right where the new deck is ? BTW: whats that mono on that rod ????
    Please tell me where I can buy that Rio fly line you have. I think it will be perfect for the spey rod..
    Oct.. booked up pretty good for me as well but I will make the trip on the Great Pumpkin day as usual..
    Nov. you say ?? I heard about some vacation time . Well the time to use it would be vets day> Nov-11 thru Nov-14th The browns will be stacked in the usual place and fresh chrome will betargeted. I also have a pass for you in the DSR. That noodle rod will be perfect then...
    After that I'm going to be up in a tree until the brown goes down (hopefully before then with my bow) ..

Talked with Lorne last night and he is trying to sell the boat (I don't blame him there) but he also can't wait for hardwater.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/06 19:32:03 (permalink)
    Dude you have a relative that lives on a stretch of the SR and you haven't moved in with him?  Wow man thats a great looking piece of water,  congrats on all those fish.  I don't think theyre so ugly, just look a  flathead in the yap.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/06 20:57:35 (permalink)
    Very Nice Guys one of this Day I got to with you!!!!!  Slammin' Salmon Jam sounds like a Plan RJ count me IN!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/06 22:38:48 (permalink)
    Those are SWEET! great pics!

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: The Week Away 2009/10/07 08:24:36 (permalink)
    Nice fish guys! wow, the shot just below the town pool brings back memories, Of coarse back in those days most pools were accessible .We use to fish the staircase pool following the path down along the bridge.. some years ago this too became privatized and off limit to shore access. Tuna, If I can get a fishing buddy to drive up oct/nov trip, I would get into drifting them steelies. again NICE pics fellas!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: