Striper Guys Don't do it

Author
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/01 16:40:34 (permalink)

Striper Guys Don't do it

Just got a new license and here is the deal with the saltwater license. It costs 10 dollars extra and you need it to fish saltwater and migratory species, saltwater migratory anyway.

Here's the thing though, the saltwater season runs from the beginning of january to the end of december. So come january 1st you'll need a new saltwater license. So if your just going to buy the saltwater license for the striper run, DON'T BUY IT KNOW. wait until january to get it. I've already talked to someone who bought it before it got explained to him.

post edited by jkbugger - 2009/10/01 16:43:06

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
Charles Haas

7 Replies Related Threads

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/01 17:03:27 (permalink)
    I understand that you will also need the saltwater license to fish the Delaware and Mohawk Rivers, because they may hold seafaring fish too.  I don't know if you need it to wet a line, or just if you keep the fish.  Any striper you catch there will be too undersized to keep anyway.  

Is there as watchdog group that is going to find out where this extra cash is going?  They got huge conservation grants from the Feds this year , somewhere around $10 Million.   Still, the NY political slime pickpockets sportsmen.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/01 17:17:13 (permalink)
    Thats true NYYank they sure do. if it ends up like i have seen this before they will end up doing boundary lines.
    Such as any where on the Hudson south of the I-84 bridge will require  salt water and fresh water fishing license north of the bridge will require fresh water only. and they will have a listing on all rivers, tributary's and such as to where the markation line will be. They will push it as far upriver as they can. I,ve seen it happen to many times already, I still remember when any where in the USA salt water fishing required NO state fishing license. 

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/01 17:31:22 (permalink)
    I agree with Jigs entirely...  I can only assume they do the same thing in Louisiana...

I know it Florida, many fish (snook/tarpon/reds) will inhabit both SALT and FRESH water at various times of the year.  And Florida offers both a saltwater and freshwater license system.  Boundaries were set up to help anglers better understand what's needed where, etc.

For example: fishing the south (sea) side of Route 41 required a salwater license, and fishing the north (inland) side of Route 41 (Tamiami Trail) required a freshwater license.  Made it pretty easy- and both anglers had access to the same fish (as well as some huge largemouths and peacock bass)...

Another cool feature was the fact that a resident of FL may fish from SHORE in his own county without any license at all.  I always thought that was pretty cool.  It may have changed since 2005, but I doubt it.

Florida has more registered boaters and anglers than any state in the US- and they manage the fishery very well.  In the 1980s it became apparent there was far more money for the state if they encourage recreational fishing and put the hammer down on commercial fishing operations that were causing insane damage on the coasts.  New York has done the same thing with Striper regulations, of course.

As for the cash?  From the posts on MFF- all money is still going to the CONSERVATION FUND... 

Not the GENERAL FUND. 

So while it sucks to get bent over for a licensel, those dollars are still going to enforcement, stockings, and improvements (docks, launches, etc).  At least that is how it's stated on paper.  In real life?  Who knows, right?

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/01 18:46:22 (permalink)
    Okay- here's is the straight scoop from the DEC website.

The DEC site expressly states that the Marine License is needed in the Hudson/Dellie/etc. when fishing for "fish from the sea". Anglers fishing for (well, keeping) trout in the Dellie or Pike in the Hudson have no additional cost.

Obviously, it is like fishing a multi-species (non Speical Trout Water) pond after Oct 15th and catching a trout. 

You can catch it!  You just can't keep it. 

As for where the extra $10 goes?  A new Marine Account has been created as a sub-set of the Conservation Fund.  "All revenues generated from sales of annual, 7-day, and 1-day resident and non-resident recreational marine licenses will be deposited into the Marine Account. The Marine Account is a special sub-account of the Conservation Fund, and, in accordance with State Finance Law, monies in this account shall be available to the DEC specifically for the care, management, protection and enlargement of marine fish and shellfish resources."

And in terms of watchdog groups who are tasked with ensuring the money goes where it is intended?

They answered that one too:  "The Marine and Coastal District Conservation, Education, and Research Board (Board) has been charged with the tasks to review the allocations and expenditures of the DEC related to the marine Account. This Board is also charged with the responsibility to make annual reports to the DEC Commissioner on expenditures and fiscal needs and to make recommendations on maximum fees to be charged for recreational marine fishing licenses."

It's all there for us to see. 

It may be worth noting that the Board is the one who requested the license hikes to offset rising costs and staffing rates.  Gov't employees typically get a 2%- 2.5% raise annually to cover inflation.  The Board realized that rates remained unchanged for a long time- and the cost of doing business is far higher now than it was even two years ago.  I think we can all agree on that. 

Here is the scoop for all the 'conspiracy theorists':  http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

SPECIAL THANKS TO JKBUGGER FOR SAVING ME TEN BUCKS TODAY!!!  YOU'RE THE MAN!!!

Hope this helps clear up any speculation.  Truth is, protecting our fisheries cost money.

We need the guys in blue and the hatchery staff to ensure our waters don't get raped and pillaged by people from New Jersey or something.  (TOTALLY kidding, Backin!!!  I PROMISE!!!)

Check out what it costs to fish PA as a non-resident, and you'll see NY is still a wicked deal. 

Our fishery here in this state could crush anything Pennsylvania could dream of. 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/01 19:59:37 (permalink)

$10 bucks for 6 weeks of Striper fishing , what ever ... so i bring lunch to work one to time to offset it. It's not going to stop me. Just like taxes and fuel they go up up up and what can i do about it , nothing , just pay them. I enjoy it way to much !!! Go to the movies , out to a bar or a sporting event and it cost WAY more than $10.00 (and that only last a few hours) ...

BUT thank you very much about pointing out the Jan-Jan license period , that will catch some people off guard for sure !!

MY 2-Cents !

BB

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/01 23:02:36 (permalink)
    That was excellent Jimmy and nicely written.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Striper Guys Don't do it 2009/10/02 08:27:00 (permalink)
    So.....the way i read it if you are fishing for stripers etc you need the license........  what happens if i am targeting pike / musky and accidentally catch a striper?

I always fish for pike and tigers in the hudson using live herring.......amzing how few i get and how many stripers i get by mistake....

think it would work as an excuse?

Also...............just watch..............there is a reasonable chance we won't be able to use herring for bait....so don't buy your license until that gets decided!
    Jump to: