ADK Pond Trip Report

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/29 10:09:18 (permalink)

ADK Pond Trip Report

Well there wasn't much to report.  Arrived at parking spot just as the sky was getting some light in it.  Hiked in, it was just as described to me, easy hike. I brought the Vexilar in my backpack and carried borrowed oars. We got to the shoreline and there were several boats stashed there. Looking at the duct-tape patchjobs and foam wads, we crossed our fingers. 
    We found one boat that didn't leak, so off we went. About twenty yards from shore, one oar snapped in half. OK I guess this means it's gonna be one of those days.  This put the kabosh on trolling, which was the plan. Spent the next 4½ hours throwing all sizes and colors or spoons, spinners and worms.  All of that yielded one 8" brookie.
    Not sure why they weren't active, it was cloudy and about 60 degrees, in between rainstorms. Had been cooler all week til that day.  Saw a few swells on surface but they were keyed on something other than what we could mimic. Beautiful area and a great little pond.  Had no luck at all in the raging river nearby.
 Stopped at Lake George Pier on the way home and realized all my bass stuff was home in my car. Jeezuz Christmas. Contented ourselves with the scenery and a playing a few perch and sunnies so my buddy could go home unskunked.
JIMMY: Thanks for the idea brother!  As for the contours of that pond, the deepest spot I found was around 21', and that pretty much runs right down the center. The far end gets shallower about 100yds from shore, down to around 6ft.  Most of the shoreline drops fairly quickly near the one point, as you'd expect. Most of shoreline is a gradual drop to around 14'.  I was marking fish at around 3-8 ft from bottom in the deep water.  Marking and catching two different things!

4 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: ADK Pond Trip Report 2009/09/29 10:46:06 (permalink)
    Aw man, Yank!

I was secretly praying you would slay 'em up there.  I've had some ridiculous trout outings on that little pond, and it grows some really nice rainbows.  My last two outings there have been slow, but the walk and solitude make it a worthwhile trip anyway most of the time.  And it isn't too far away really, which is a plus too.

That sure stinks about the busted oar...  I'd like to get back up in there before the season closes, that whole stretch of road is unbelievable when the foliage is in it's prime.  I am due for a return at some point, but it sounds like I will be up around that general area in a few weeks helping Matty set up his hunting camp.  There are some other ponds and lakes we're going to check out nearby that hold stocked Browns, Brookies and Kokes...

Sounds like they were letting some water out of the lake at the dam.  The river is a nutcracker to fish when it's raging (pretty much infishable) but is a goldmine at typical flows.  They also release water for rafting there from 10-11:30am to flush a 'bubble' of water down the Hudson River Gorge, so maybe that was the case.

I can't thank you enough for the info re: depths and contours.  It's pretty much as I thought.  That far end is no good as I mentioned- but there is actually a SECOND pond just a few hundred yards above that inlet that I haven't checked out yet.  I found it on GoogleMaps awhile back and would love to bushwhack in there and see what's up.  I would assume the brookies use the creek for the spawn, so there could be some tubby bruisers in the upper pond too.

Wish you had better luck, sorry for steering you astray, my friend...  It can be real good when it's "on"...

When Tuna and I went a few months back he got into a bunch of fish right away near the trail's end, but then it mellowed out and shut right down on us.  I hope you and I get up there at some point before too long.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: ADK Pond Trip Report 2009/09/29 19:32:47 (permalink)
    I wasn't led astray by you Jimmy, that was the nuns at Sacred Heart. Serious, it was just what I was looking for. You can't make the fish bite for me too!
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: ADK Pond Trip Report 2009/10/01 11:33:27 (permalink)
    Amature question here, but when you say boats/canoes are stashed at ponds in the Adirondacks, are they left there for anyone to use?
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: ADK Pond Trip Report 2009/10/01 16:54:37 (permalink)
    I have no ethical quandaries about taking out a boat thats left by a pond.  Just leave it as you found it.  Better check for leaks first though.
    Jump to: