TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing!

Author
Ship of Fools
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 250
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/28 08:40:23 (permalink)

TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing!

So....my annual 3 day tuna trip was a monster success again. First stop we made was at a tackle shop on the Cape where my buddy dropped $380 on a killer rod / reel jigging combo to toss jigs at the tuna instead of bait fishing.

We left the dock Wednesday at 7AM and were offshore and trolling by 2 PM. First fish came on the troll and turned out to be the biggest fish and the pool winner....about a 70 lb yellowfin. We picked a couple more on the troll and set up on anchor for the night bite. Fishing on night 1 was sloooooow with less than 10 fish caught. My buddy jigged hard and managed to get 3 of the 10 on his brand new jiggin rod. We also managed two swordfish on night 1.

Day 2 we go back on the troll and fish hard all day with only 3 or so more tuna caught by late in the day...............so i am fishless at this point and resigned to the fact that maybe this trip may be a bust and that's ok since the last two years were awesome and every trip can't be a monster success.......so just as it starts to get dark we have a double hookup with 2 rods going off on the troll........i look way off the port side and see a marlin jumping and another one off the bow.......turns out these were the 2 fish hooked and 1 was dropped right off the bat so we still have 1 on.........and it was the one way off the port side............as the guy is fighting the fish it runs under the boat and puts on an aerial show on the starboard side and then got hung up under the boat.....eventually we got it loose, landed it, took a few pics and released it.

So now it's dark, we are anchoring up and after a day and a half of sleeping an hour here or there i decide to sleep until a fish hits the deck that night so if it was a late bite i would be awake. By 8 PM my buddy wakes me uo and says they're biting.......i went out, dropped my bait down 60 pulls and within 5 minutes had one on.....landed that, dropped back down and had another one within 5 more minutes and then another within 20 more minutes or so........the bite dies down, it's 12 PM so i take another quick snooze and wake up around 2 AM to the sound of a tuna slapping it's tail repeatedly on the deck.......my buddy is still asleep so i grab his jigging rod and head to the bow where along with 3 or 4 other guys we hooked tuna consistently for 3 straight hours.......i had at least 9 hooked up and landed another 5 fish....all on this little jigging rod!

What a riot......my back has been sore for 2 days!!!

Next year some of you guys should try and make it.....it is a 100 foot party boat and usually takes about 30 guys.....this was rescheduled due to a storm on the original date so we only had 24 guys...just perfect!

Each of the last 3 years we have hammered the tuna.......and enjoyed 3 days offshore!

7 Replies Related Threads

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/28 09:31:40 (permalink)
    ship, sounds like a blast! How much was the trip per person?
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/28 09:43:21 (permalink)
    $470 for the whole thing.....not bad if you consider how long you are out, how far you go (100+ miles) etc.

The 3rd day is what makes the trip special......on the 2 day trips you troll day 1, anchor for night 1 and then troll until 10 or 11 on day 2 and head back in.  Having the 3rd day allows you to fish hard on day 2, try neighboring canyons and basically be more likely to be there when the bite turns on................this trip is a perfect example.....we could see lots of fish deep (180 + feet) on the 1st  night but they weren't feeding.....on night 2 they were much shallower (we even saw them in the slick) and the bite was on!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/28 11:04:00 (permalink)
    That's so awesome...  I'd love to hook into a nice Yellowfin...

Or even better- a huge Bigeye!!! 

I've only caught Bonito (False Albacore) which are cousins of the Tuna.  They fight like hell, and are tough as nails.  It almost seems more like they 'fly' through the water than swim...

Did the Yellowfins go all spastic and 'seizure' when you got 'em on the deck?

Sounds like a great trip.  If I didn't live in poverty I would have liked to check that out!

trophyman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/28 16:19:07 (permalink)
    sounds like you had a grate time where did you sail from and what is the name of the boat you were on would like to check it out $470 is a grate price for that trip from the sound of things
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/29 12:52:09 (permalink)
    The Helen-H out of Hyannis  ...  we have been going on trips with Capt Joe for years now ... they are a great crew and work hard to catch fish.

Jimmy.....of course they went spastic....that is what wakes me up to get out there and fish in between naps....although no time to nap this trip!

We should get a whole group of us....we would have a blast bustin on each other....
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/29 19:44:06 (permalink)
    Heyyy I've been on the Helen H before... we used to stay in S. Yarmouth up the road.  All that are ever running in August are porgys and blues though.  Sounds like thats a real good time with the tunas, if not epic. Didn't even know they had marlins up there!
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: TUNA....you guys don't know what you are missing! 2009/09/30 06:47:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: New York Yank

Heyyy I've been on the Helen H before... we used to stay in S. Yarmouth up the road.  All that are ever running in August are porgys and blues though.  Sounds like thats a real good time with the tunas, if not epic. Didn't even know they had marlins up there!

The Helen-H rocks..........their specialty is cod.......i've only ever been out for cod one time and we hammered them......i caught 44 myself and high hook had over 100 that day!

Marlin........there are lots of marlin up north..........that is all that the offshore Jersey guys have been catching this year becasue the tuna are all way to the east. Two years ago we hooked a 400+ pound blue marlin.........i watched it come up and inhale a mahi we had hooked and were reeling in..........all of a sudden the mahi freaked out and a big blue came up, ate it and spooled us.....quite a site!
    Jump to: