My Marabou

Author
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/27 14:31:57 (permalink)

My Marabou

1. The best hook is a Tiemco 7999 for this pattern. It is heavy sharp and strong. I am using a 1/0.

2. I am using Ice dubbing on this one. Use whatever dub and color you want. I like the org/purple combo, so thats the colors I chose. Attach dubbing to thread.

3.  Wrap on hook. Start a touch in front of the hook point and end the body 1/8 ince before the shank doubles.

4.  Prep marabou. KJ did a thing on selecting marabou so I wont cover that. It takes some trial and error to figure out how much to strip but its worth figuring out. I like to leave on just enough to complete the fly. I dont like having a bunch of extra fibers in my way when tying off. Its a little trick I came up with to make a small head. It also makes a secure tie down.

5. Bad pic sorry. Attach the feather by its tip.

6.  Cut off leftover marabou tip.  Fold the marabou back and just grab the stem in your fingers. Palmer forward. Do not trap any fibers while palmering. Keep stroking back and freeing any trapped fibers. Tie off with 4 good wraps. Notice the nice platform that I created. A nice platform makes it easier make a nice wing and collar.

7.  I use 3 strands of gold flashabou. Select the length you want and double it. Tie down in the middle of flashabou on the side facing you, on the top/side for a wing. If you ever tied in feather wings or bronze mallard wings you know the position. The "tag end" of the flashabou I fold under the shank and into the oppisite wing position of the fly. watch your thread wraps. Keep your wraps to 2 or 3 when tying in and down materials. Also keep your thread flat, not full of twists. Let your bobbin spin freely to get any twists out. Twisted thread creates bulky wraps. Bulky wraps creates large unattractive heads.

8.  Prep collar feather. I am using a norange dyed guinea feather. You can use mallard, teal, gadwell, schlappen, or any other of your favorite collar materials. I strip one side because I dont want a huge thick collar. When you strip it it also eliminates extra fibers that just get in your way.

9.  Attach feather by butt on opposite side of hook.

10.  If all of your previous thread wraps are correct and not all over the place you should have a nice "platform" on where to work. When palmerring collar feather make sure to place each turn side by side. Keeping side by side turns keeps your fibers standing tall and free. Make about 4 wraps of feather for a nice collar. Tie down using minimal wraps, like 3. Trim tag feather as tight as you can.

11.  I used about a dozen wraps to form my head.

12. Whip finish and cement head.

13. Done

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!

1 Reply Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: My Marabou 2009/09/27 14:40:47 (permalink)
    Swinger - thanks for the great job on this. Great tip on spinning the bobbin to create a flat thread. An old timer showed me this some time back and it's really a good thing to do to keep the bulk down. Thanks buddy.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: