Steak and Eggs

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/22 13:40:28 (permalink)

Steak and Eggs

Had a request to put this one together. Feed 'em this for breakfast. Here ya go Shawn---

1. Materials:

2. Slide bead on the hook and start the thread near the bend of the hook.

3. Apply a very small amount of dubbing and wrap at the bend.
It helps to use ultra fine dubbing here to keep the bulk down. I'm using goose biots here for the tail and the legs. You can tie this in any nymph fashion you want though.

4. Tie in two goose biots on either side of the hook shank.
The small dubbing that was applied helps to seperate and fan out the biots. Wrap the thread over the biots up to the dubbing ball.

5. Tie in the body material and wrap forward
Here I used smoke colored tubing but any body material or method would do.

6. Once again dub a small amount of dubbing and wrap where the tubing ended. Tie in another set of goose biots on either side of the hook shank for the legs.

7.Take a piece of McFly Foam or Glo Bug Yarn and tie it in.

8. Tie in a small piece of white Glo Bug Yarn or what I used here is a small piece of milking veil material that can be purchased from Walt Mueller - maker of Otter's Soft Eggs.
I believe this veil material can also be had at Cabelas or Bass Pro or any other place for that matter but white Glo Bug Yarn works just as well. You can add a few strands of chrystal flash too if you want. 

9. Take the yarn and turn it 90 degress to the hook shank and take two or three figure eight wraps around the yarn being careful not to interfere with the veil material.

10. Wrap behind the bead and whip finish. Clip off the thread. Then take each side of the yarn and cut it off close to the hook shank with one cut. Do this one at a time. Form the egg with your fingers.

11. Take the veil material and cut to length. There you have it.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

3 Replies Related Threads

Rich Farino
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Steak and Eggs 2009/09/27 11:20:16 (permalink)
    I noticed in your first photo the big droplet of drool just below the Superfine dubbing. ;)

Nice fly.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Steak and Eggs 2009/09/27 12:19:20 (permalink)
    That was from my beer mug. Welcome to the forum Rich!!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Steak and Eggs 2009/09/27 19:22:25 (permalink)
    great fly .. gotta love egg sucking stones... try a wiggle tail 1 things are deadly
    Jump to: