spotlight ban

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/21 16:24:34 (permalink)

spotlight ban

In this Sun. Tribune-  Review there was an article that Quoted State Rep. Marc Gergely as saying that he wants the PGC to outlaw spotlighting in order to cut back complaints from farmers & landowners who threaten to close thier land because of the nuisance of people shining lights on thier homes & property at night. Also to cut back on poaching at night.He stated that if the PGC doesn't do this on thier own that he will introduce legislation to do so on his own.If you think that this is a bad idea may I suggest that you contact you own legislators & tell them so.BTW he offered the fact that other states such as West. Va. have had this banned for a long time with no prob. for those of you that hunt there like I do please quit snickering.  sam  pss  Just read in the new PA. Game News an item from the WCO in Erie CO.Michael Wojtecki that reminded people that cutting off the antlers of a roadkill deer is illegal & carries a possible $800 fine. The Graverobbers in this area have them off before the buck is done kicking.Honestly there are either a lot of people doing this or the few that do are pretty busy. lol  sam

23 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 17:05:42 (permalink)
    I enjoy it - as do my kids - once in awhile in the fall, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if it was outlawed. Lived in KY for 3 years, and it was illegal there, and in NC for a year, where it was illegal in most of the state. Didn't lose any sleep over it.

As someone who lives in a rural area, I've had a few wayward spotlights shining through my living room windows, but it didn't really bother me. I could see though how it would be nuisance for farmers and land owners who put up with it a couple times a week for a few months out of the year. I've seen some real morons spotlighting over the years. Just like everything else good that we have, a small minority can ruin it for the majority.

Guess it's a trade off of sorts. Would you rather see land continued to be open to hunting, or would you rather go spotlighting? As for me, I'd rather have more access and less poachers.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 17:11:08 (permalink)
    there are many states that banned spotlighting. i wish it would happen in pa. it would cut down on the poaching, not saying it would stop it, but it would cut down. thats how a lot of lazy hunters do their scouting. hunters see big bucks out in fields and thats where they decide to hunt along with the other bunch of guys that sees the same deer.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 17:36:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: akitadog

there are many states that banned spotlighting. i wish it would happen in pa. it would cut down on the poaching, not saying it would stop it, but it would cut down. thats how a lot of lazy hunters do their scouting. hunters see big bucks out in fields and thats where they decide to hunt along with the other bunch of guys that sees the same deer.

Exactly,poaching is rampant in PA near me!!!They all know where the big bucks are feeding in fields do to legal spotlighting,and just going back late at night with a gun/crossbow and taking a whack at them.

They go home get rid of evidence and go back to drag deer out,its a pathetic way to get your big horns.But people lost there hunting spots over the years due to development,was it really unforeseeable.PA really dropped the ball down there,I will stick to NY state hunting....Just hope if that law passes the poachers don't travel up here!!!!
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 20:19:38 (permalink)
    A township (Middle Lancaster) I worked road maintenance for had NO SPOTLIGHTING signs up through-out the rds. The township cannot press charges for spotlighting during norm. hrs. posted under the 09 - 10 www.pgc.state.pa.us hunting & trapping digest regs.
    Crappy
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 20:30:15 (permalink)
    crappy, I am not a legal expert by any means, but the township may be able to set up its own rules on spotlighting like they do with parking & other reg. They wouldn't have to try to use the Game code laws.  m.o.  sam
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 20:52:39 (permalink)
    That is what they want you to think

I worked for the township & was told from higher up that it would not hold up in the books. Guess sorta like saying no hunting in Pittsburgh
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/21 23:48:42 (permalink)
    Well it has worked down here, Murraysville banned hunting with firearms in thier Municipal parks & it stuck.Fish & Game regs are not the same as criminal code violations passed by the legislators here in Penna. In West Va. the fish & game law carry the same weight as civil code violations & can be enforced by any law man.I am not pro or con spotting could care less. The only reason I posted that was to alert people that care & to let them know who was behind it.  sam
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 00:21:37 (permalink)
    mr. crappie,
    Murraysville can regulate what weapons are used on their property, I believe, but, they couldn't tell a private landowner that lived within Murraysville Twp. limits that they couldn't hunt with a firearm on their own property. 
    dstewart
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 07:03:33 (permalink)
    what a shame how the actions of some ruin to all.  my family, wife and 2 kids along with friends and other family, go spotting at least 2 nights a week  we dont hunt based on what we see.  some guys are real jerks shinning lights on houses and barns  that would **** me off too.hopefully when it hits legitsation the law makes hitting a house or any building, graveyard, school, and church should be carried away with a hefty fine theres no excuse about it that is totaly careless and shows what kinds of poor sorry peices of **** they realy are.  this topic has struck a nerve
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 08:49:28 (permalink)
    I also would be highly upset if they banned spotlighting. I also spot a couple times a week with my wife and kids. My dad always took myself and three brothers spotting when we were kids. It would be a lost tradition due to a few low life poachers. I have and will continue to turn in any poachers, day or night. Don't let them ruin it for everyone. As far as local laws, they are always superceeded by State or Federal laws. The game laws superceed local munincipal laws. (hunting, spotlighting, fishing, etc)
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 09:19:15 (permalink)
    I would be furious if they banned spotting.  
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 11:48:42 (permalink)
    Wondering how the LAWS are different........fish and boat code, game code, crimes code, vehicle code......any state officer can pretty much enforce any of the STATE laws.......state officer will not be able to enforce a municiple law or regulation........the state and federal laws do supercede local municipal laws, but if a local municiple officer wants to write a ticket for SPOT Lighting where the ordinance states no spotlighting....then so be it......He can do that.......and a judge would or should uphold that law / regulation / when presented in his courtroom...but from what I know--most judges live in their own world and make-up the rules on a day to day basis.........

just because the game commission says spotlighting is OK......does not mean a township, borough or whatever can't ban it..........or make it against the law to do so

for example.......a county park sets up a catch and release Fly fishing only area in a stream on their property.......stream is stocked upstream from the park property by the state........the park property is stocked by the county......
    you go there and fish with a spinning rod and decide to keep 3 trout........all caught on worms.........a WCO can only enforce the state law, which would be: license, size and creel limit..........Park Ranger would have to enforce spinning gear, fish in possession and bait in a fly fishing only area..........

the township, borough or whatever can make their laws more strict than state or federal..........say, in the stream above.......you can only keep 2 trout when the limit is 5........that is fine to do.......but they could not make it 7 trout.....

www.2bonthewater.com
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 11:52:59 (permalink)
    No wonder it took them so long to get a budget, he needs to worry about more important things than harmless entertainment. Once again, it's illegal to do the things he's trying to prevent so rather than enforce the laws already on the books lets make another one. DUMBASSES! They will probably leave all the spotting restrictions on the books even after they totally outlaw spotting......... (deep breath, sigh)
    WILD BROOKIE
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 11:57:42 (permalink)
    I live in a heavy spot lite area in cetral pa and spot lighting needs to stop if anter regs are to work properly
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 12:34:58 (permalink)
    2bon,

The municiple Chief of Police told me the signs (no spotlighting in Middle Lancaster) could not hold up in court & the police dept. would not even try to enforce it. State & Fed laws.... nevermind
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/22 13:09:50 (permalink)
    I happen to have a seat on the local board of directors and KNOW local police cannot enforce any game laws. Spotlighting is a game law. Thank you so much for the state superceeding the local goverment. We would have very fewhunting spots if it were up to local goverment.
    Spotlighting does not kill deer guns and bows do so should they take those away also? An outlaw is going to spot and shoot deer at night with or without the spotlighting law in place. It may cut down a little on poaching but surely will not stop it. If everyone would turn in poachers friends or not they would stop poaching. I would continue to spot even if they would pass a law against it! It still would be cheap family entertainment. My kids love going spotting!
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/23 08:29:12 (permalink)
    An outlaw is going to spot and shoot deer at night with or without the spotlighting law in place.
    My kids love going spotting!

Well said!!!!!  I've enjoyed spotting my whole life, and never killed a thing while doing it!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/23 08:33:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

An outlaw is going to spot and shoot deer at night with or without the spotlighting law in place.

yep.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/23 11:24:35 (permalink)
    If someone is not worried about getting caught poaching, they're not going to be worried about getting caught using a spotlight to do it. Besides, someone could poach using their headlights. Banning spotlighting won't cut down on poaching.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/24 09:05:18 (permalink)
    If poachers are really serious about their poaching, they'll do it without spotlighting being legal.  Heck, the 2nd and 3rd generation night vision equip. is readily available, works pretty well and it's getting cheaper all the time.  They'd just move on to that and still keep poaching. 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/24 11:46:29 (permalink)
    So, what you're saying is.........

"They can have my spotlight when the pry my cold dead fingers from around it"
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/24 23:13:43 (permalink)
    The real issue here is that the legislators are trying to end run the PGC (who I do not always agree with, but I do support them). In the past few years we are seeing tons of legislation trying to regulate game law. That is the game commissions job. If a law needs changed it should come from the PGC to the legislators not a bunch of pencil pushers trying to rewrite the game code. This is a serious issue.

There are currently two bills up for consideration proposed by legislators that would make it legal to hunt over corn for any species. This is not a PGC reccomendation, just another politician trying to score points.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: spotlight ban 2009/09/29 16:28:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

The real issue here is that the legislators are trying to end run the PGC (who I do not always agree with, but I do support them). In the past few years we are seeing tons of legislation trying to regulate game law. That is the game commissions job. If a law needs changed it should come from the PGC to the legislators not a bunch of pencil pushers trying to rewrite the game code. This is a serious issue.

There are currently two bills up for consideration proposed by legislators that would make it legal to hunt over corn for any species. This is not a PGC reccomendation, just another politician trying to score points.

isn't it already illegal to hunt over bait? from my knowledge, you must have everything out of the woods by a certain date. biggest example of where the whole debate would come into play is people who have cabins and feed the deer behind/beside their cabin so they have something to see while they sit there at night... but they hunt on a completely different end of the property from where their camp is, is this hunting over bait or not? had a couple of guys from connelsville get what would have probably been close to a state record bear and 2/3 others confiscated because the game commission found corn next to their camp meanwhile the bear were shot more than a mile away from the cabin on the same property.

anyway, banning spotting isn't going to change anything about poaching IMO. yes, it will cut out on the amount of light that gets shined on farmer's and neighbors houses... but where there is a will there is a way. people with little kids can vouch that usually when you take your kids spotting you are careful to not shine light on houses and it's a good time to show them all the deer and other critters. but you get those few people who just drive down the road with the light out the window and shine everything in sight. two sides of the debate i guess. i've seen farmers chase people for spotting on their land
    Jump to: