Eggi Juan Kenobi

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/21 15:46:44 (permalink)

Eggi Juan Kenobi

Kyler16 asked for a tutorial on this pattern so after I spent some time cleaning up my tying area (what a mess!) I thought I'd send this one in. Kind of a lengthy step by step but it's kind of detailed for someone just starting out. (I'm not saying that's you Kyler but perhaps for others) Hope this helps you out buddy.

1. Materials:
I use the Daiichi 1150 heavy wide gap hook. For the kenobi you should use some type of scud hook with a wide bend to it since you have to wrap the thread down the hook shank a bit. Then the only other materials are McFly foam or Glo Bug Yarn (color of choice) and chenille (again your choice of color).

2. Start your thread on the hook
To start the thread, begin by angling the thread toward the hook eye. Take a few wraps forward then back while keeping tension on the tag end of the thread. Wrapping back toward the hook bend covers over the previous wraps locking the thread in. Then trim off the tag end flush.

3. Wrap down the hook shank to the point shown and tie in a piece of chenille about 3 " long.

4. Wrap the thread forward to the point shown.
I have seen these tied a bit different in that some thin dubbing is used here while making this wrap forward, covering the hook shank.

5. Make a small loop in the chenille and tie it in.

6. Fold the front portion of the chenille loop back and make a few wraps in front of it. Advance your thread forward a bit to the point where you'll be tying in the McFly foam.

7. Prepare your McFly foam or Glo Bug Yarn
There are different ways of doing this - everyone has their own method. Here I'm taking some light orange which is the main color, seperating it a bit and laying the "eye" color which is pink in the middle. Then I fold the orange over the pink. Some tie in one piece of the main color on top of the hook with the "eye" color under it. Then tie in another piece of main color on the underside of the hook. There's other ways of doing it also. It's all good but for here, I'll do it this way. I'm also using more material than is necessary for description.

8. Lay this material together on top of the hook and tie it in by making several tight turns, one on top of the other. It pays to use a firm thread here.

9. Pull this clump up off the hook shank and make a few turns behind and in front of this clump of material, locking it in place.

10. With your scissors, cut this material straight across the top of the hook shank, slightly away from the shank.
Make one cut here and make sure you cut all the material at once and do this while pulling up on the material with your other hand.

11. Form the egg after cutting and whip finish off.

12. Cut the chenille to length and lightly singe the ends with a lighter.

And there you have it. Here is also a kind of variation of this fly, I call the jester.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

16 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 15:57:44 (permalink)
    nice Steely, you are doing a good job keeping this tutorial bank fresh
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 16:06:24 (permalink)
    Cool Steely. The jester egg rocks! Many early season stockies were caught on that pattern this year for me. Yellow egg, with white chenille legs.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 16:06:40 (permalink)
    Hey it's all good Loomis. I'm off work due to a shoulder injury so I gots the time. Kind of keeps my sanity you know.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 16:10:49 (permalink)
    Norm - yeah i don't really know if that's been tied before but some time ago( a year or two) I was playing around with some material and came up with this. Never really saw it anywhere before. Posted it here and some guys said it looked like the hat the comics that are called jesters wear. So I started to call it the jester egg. Kind of stuck I guess. Glad it works for ya.

John Gierach

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 16:20:15 (permalink)
    A friend showed me the jester egg last fall, maybe he saw it on here. All I did was play with the colors a bit. The ones I have had good luck with are(all white legs), yellow, pink, chartreuse eggs. Gonna try them for steel this year, if I can get away from my favorite egg patterns lol!
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 16:55:06 (permalink)
    Your right in what you say about the white legs seem to have the most success - kind of imitates maggots I guess. Pretty durable fly too. Hey I'm just happy as a lark one of my lane brained ideas is workin for you guys and others are using it.

John Gierach

Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/21 21:31:48 (permalink)
    Great step by step Steely, Here's the video made by Hise himself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfK4tjqqFUg
    post edited by Flyguy638 - 2009/09/21 21:37:50
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 01:06:19 (permalink)
    thanks so much steely. Once we are settled in our new house(again yes 3 time in 3 years) Im getting the lou minnow tutorial up. just gotta figure out this dang camera i pick the right option just wont focus good enough. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 07:14:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kyler16
    just gotta figure out this dang camera i pick the right option just wont focus good enough. 

Try backing up a little, zooming all the way out, and getting a few contrasting colors in the field of view. I know that with my (old, cheap) camera, when photographing flies in front of that blue background card, it sometimes helps to get a bit if the dark background behind it into the shot, to help it 'grab' the fly to focus on. Then I just crop it to suit.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 11:32:58 (permalink)
    What a setup!!!! Thanks for the links! Now that's how to take pics of your flies!!!!

John Gierach

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 14:23:00 (permalink)
    yep, and it's really not that hard.

All you need is a mid-grade DSLR with a good Macro Lens

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 14:43:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

yep, and it's really not that hard.

All you need is a mid-grade DSLR with a good Macro Lens

Not hard, just expensive.

For the record, all my photos to this point were from a 4.0 megapixel entry-level kodak point & shoot.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 14:49:43 (permalink)
    not that bad....

I just like to be able to tinker with the aperture a little more, and my point and shoot was no good in macro.   Had to bite the bullet again and get another SLR.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 15:13:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

not that bad....

I just like to be able to tinker with the aperture a little more, and my point and shoot was no good in macro.   Had to bite the bullet again and get another SLR.

I think I might try to come across a bridge camera over the holidays. Something like that would suit my needs better than either a SLR or a compact, I think. But we're getting off track here...
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eggi Juan Kenobi 2009/09/22 16:22:38 (permalink)
    get an SLR, u already have a point and shoot.  I'd suggest a canon XSi bare minimum.
    Jump to: