Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/17 15:46:27 (permalink)

The game comission

These are obviously hard times for the PGC financially. It is un likely, in these times, that they will get a license fee increase, and I doubt they'll get any money from the general fund. Timber revenue varies. So, does anyone believe that wardens will issue more citations, rather than warnings, in an effort to help revenue? Someone told me that they are becoming a collection agency when it comes to violations. They are more likely to just fine you-even for the slightest infraction. Anyone believe this? Thoughts? Experiences?

72 Replies Related Threads

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/17 19:02:30 (permalink)
    as long as you're out hunting, you'll be fine.  My backdoor was a few hundred yards from a heavily pressured state game lands for years.  I hunted here extensively during the time, along with many other areas in and around surrounding counties.  I have never encountered an officer in the field. 

They patrol access points and badger hunters from the comfort of their vehicles.  Sad part about it is, most of the illegal activity that is detrimental to the sport, is not happening during the times they are at peak patrol, nor is it in the concentrated areas of patrol. 

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/17 19:27:46 (permalink)
    Just follow the rules. 

I could see them being told to up the tickets though, I'll be sure to eat all of the smolt i catch this year, instead of usuing thier eyez for perch bait.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/17 21:12:49 (permalink)
    I guess you all knew I'd be getting in on this topic...

just what does this mean...

""They are more likely to just fine you-even for the slightest infraction. ""

what do you call --- "the slightest infraction" ?????

how about some examples of "sight infractions" in your opinion.... ???
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/17 23:26:38 (permalink)
    leaning your gun against your truck instead of against a tree, 240 inches of orange instead of 250, discharging your rifle into a tree in the woods after falling down to check for scope accuracy, spotlighting with a unloaded, cased rifle in the bed of the truck along with the rest of your hunting gear on the way to camp, walking down the road on the way back to your truck with your unloaded bow during archery season after hunting hours, boys and girls swimming naked after dark(your buddy)Had to add that one.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 04:13:29 (permalink)
    i think a good example of a minor infraction would be an unsigned doe tag or having old tags in your license holder.  was with someone last year who had every tag that he didn't fill in his license holder since he was twelve and none of the doe tags were signed.  the wco corrected him on what he was doing wrong and they were both on there way. no fines and he was legal.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 05:56:22 (permalink)
    I know the poor suckers are strapped for cash..
    We walked 2 miles up into a piece of Gamelands fishing yesterday..
    We walked through timber that has not been cut in my lifetime..
    There were no old stumps none..
    I saw Cherry trees starting to die that are worth 3-5 Thousand dollars a piece, some falling down to rot..

If the mismanagement of their timber is any indication how they operate financialy. No wonder they are broke.
    Kinda sad when an agency in charge of thousands and thousands of acres can't follow sound and sustainable timber harvesting plans..

Warniings around here are far and few between..If youy get wrote up you are digging into the wallet...
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/09/18 05:57:09

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 09:28:21 (permalink)
    I've been stopped and checked in the woods, at the access area's, and at the public ranges. I have always found the officers in my area to be polite, respectful, and fair. There have been two opportunities for them to sting me...justifiably for minor infractions....and didn't. The officer took the time to help educate me to some things, and sent me on my way.

As with any of our chosen sports....follow the rules and you CAN'T get pinched.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 10:25:27 (permalink)
    Here we go ---

1... leaning a loaded gun against a truck or tree is TOTALY NOT legal nor should it be ...that is STUPID and dangerous to anyone in the area...  people get shot almost every year from this sort of thing.. so NO... not a minor infraction IMHO

2...discharging your rifle into a tree in the woods after falling down to check for scope accuracy, --

again not a safe act...  if they allowed random shooting during deer season can you even begin to imagine how many others could get shot ???  again not safe.. no a minor..

3...spotlighting with a unloaded, cased rifle in the bed of the truck along with the rest of your hunting gear on the way to camp,

NOTHING wrong here.. this should have been taken to court if 100% true.. I have my doubts that this was true..
    the gun was probably loaded... 

4...walking down the road on the way back to your truck with your unloaded bow during archery season after hunting hours

Sounds like another story from someone  who got busted for "hunting" after hours in bow season...

5....  boys and girls swimming naked after dark(your buddy)Had to add that one.

Now this particular WCO is one of the bad apples.. and we all know there are a few of those in every barrell...

6...As for the unsigned licenses....   that law is there to keep guys from signing someone else's license  or using someone's else license...

since doe tags are given out by allocations (drawing) it would be possible for not everyone in the group to have a doe tag... by having them signed  a person could not use someone elses' doe tag..    not a minor infraction in my opinion.

7.. now the multiple tags in the carrying case... I know probably a dozen guys that have got "caught" with that...  none really knew you could not do that... myself included in this one..  NONE were fined.. we were told the rule and have complied ever since...

In summary.. when you consider that almost ever encounter a WCO has is with a person that is carrying a weapon and in most cases a loaded weapon...  I have to give them credit for having more courage that I would have..

that  said .. I treat them just as any other LEO... If that treat me with respect I will do the same...  I will always give them a small benefit of doubt because I never know from what type situation they are coming..
    If treated un-respectfully I will let them know that and if they do correct their attitude I'll be seeing them in court if a fine is involved.. I would NEVER --EVER sign a field citation ... unless I am 100% in the wrong----

and that will never happen...

otherwise ...I'll take it to court every time....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/09/18 10:27:55
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 10:45:04 (permalink)
    I forgot this one S-10 mentioned...

"240 inches of orange instead of 250"

OMG.. the stories I could tell you about this one that WCOs have told me over the years ..

..one of the most common illegal actions here is during the times that you are required to wear at less 100 square inches of SOLID flo orange on your head ...  many think the orange camo patterns meet this requirement.. which they do not ---solid is solid in the average person's mind...  others, as usual ,will charge that solid is not always solid and cry the most when they get busted for not being solid... ???

..the guy who had one of those old woolrich red and black wool hats on during deer season.. had a fit because he had worn that hat since he was a child.. it was his lucky hat and felt he should be the exception to the rule ???

.. the guy with the  back-pack on his back walking thru the woods during deer rifle season.. you could see NO flo orange nor his license... DUHHH !!!   and he took it to court  ???????

and it goes on and on..

I have found that most guys that "ditch" about WCOs and fines have been on the receiving end of those fines and rather that face the fact that they broke the law.. make up a story or leave out the true facts trying to say they were in the right..

now do not get me wrong.. a WCO is just a human being at heart too and are very capibable of making mistakes too.. that's why if I am doing no wrong...  I'm headed to court and will win.. and as a result will be able to state the facts at why the WCO lost.. and they do (on occasion)  lose.... not often though...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/09/18 11:00:29
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 10:56:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I forgot this one S-10 mentioned...

"240 inches of orange instead of 250"

OMG.. the stories I could tell you about this one that WCOs have told me over the years years..

..one of the most common illegal actions here is during the times that you are required to wear at less 100 square inches of SOLID flo orange on your head ...  many think the orange camo patterns meet this requirement.. which they do not ---solid is solid in the average person's mind...  others, as usual ,will charge that solid is not always solid and cry the most when they get busted for not being solid... ???

..the guy who had one of those old woolrich red and black wool hats on during deer season.. had a fit because he had worn that hat since he was a child.. it was his lucky hat and felt he should be the exception to the rule ???

.. the guy with the  back-pack on his back walking thru the woods during deer rifle season.. you could see NO flo orange nor his license... DUHHH !!!   and he took it to court  ???????

and it goes on and on..

I have found that most guys that "ditch" about WCOs and fines have been on the receiving end of those fines and rather that face the fact that they broke the law.. make up a story or leave out the true facts trying to say they were in the right..

now do not get me wrong.. a WCO is just a human being at heart too and are very capibable of making mistakes too.. that's why if I am doing no wrong...  I'm headed to court and will win.. and as a result will be able to state the facts at why the WCO lost.. and they do (on occasion)  lose.... not often though...

Revenue Enhancement.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:08:29 (permalink)

Here we go ---

1... leaning a loaded gun against a truck or tree is TOTALY NOT legal nor should it be ...that is STUPID and dangerous to anyone in the area...  people get shot almost every year from this sort of thing.. so NO... not a minor infraction IMHO

...so, how do you **** in the woods?? Or is that illegal too??

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:10:25 (permalink)
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/09/18 11:11:17

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:14:39 (permalink)
    Really, I mean really?

So, I'm still confused....you hold your gun, and your little pee can, and unlayer your hunting cloths, and unzip your fly, and pull out your manhood & take aim, all the while holding your gun?

That sir is talent....And also seems much more dangerous than just leaning your gun against one tree & ****ing against another.

To each his own I suppose.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:16:30 (permalink)
    I was kidding, but I heard thats how the good Doctor does it.

- T. Fleming
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:17:34 (permalink)
    thought that had to be the case.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:23:09 (permalink)
    Doc-- just for kicks and giggles------- Why is it more dangerous to lean a gun against a truck than against a tree? Why is it more dangerous to shoot into a tree than at a running or flying animal? I know two people who got busted spotlighting with unloaded, cased guns in the back of their truck years apart. I got wrote up for walking down the road an hour after shooting hours during archery, I got turned around and came out on the wrong road. A deputy wrote me up and after I called the WCO the next day and said I would go to court he agreed to tear it up. I agree most WCO's are professionals and ok guys but I just couldn't resist the opportunity you gave. How about riding a motorcyle back into your favorite bear spot on the ANF and then writing up another hunter who come into your spot the same way. Your buddy again, in Scandia, when he was a DWCO.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:24:36 (permalink)
    I unload my gun and then lean it against a tree...

I mean how hard is it to take three shells out of a rifle and replace them when finished ???? 

So if--- and heaven fobit---   JUST BY CHANCE   --- while you are hold your **** ...  your gun falls and discharges and the bullet hits a guys 50 yards away, or better yet one that is standing there (hunting partner), waiting for you to finish and he dies... 

I can here you now..  big deal ...   accidents happens ...

I think they teach the 11 year olds about gun safety  during HTE classes... seems you forgot what they taught you....... 

Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:29:22 (permalink)
    Nope, didn't forget. And my .35rem. holds 7.

Way to unload Doc.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:37:39 (permalink)
    I think with a truck being metal and smooth the gun could slip eaiser than against a tree bark.. but again I would not do either if the gun was loaded....

""more dangerous to shoot into a tree than at a running or flying animal?

well #1 -- it would be Totally illegal to shoot at a flying animal with your rifle during deer season...

and as for a running deer... to each his own.. I would never and have never shot at a running deer...

NO deer is worth having a stray shot hit some preganant lady sitting in her car ... I will only shoot at a standing deer...  but again everyone can do as they please there.. I am NOT saying there is any thing wrong with shooting at a running deer... just that I would not do it..

Sorry S-10 but the two guys are liars.. if the guns were unloaded and in cases .. they broke no law there... must have been something else..probably after hours.....

--------  the motorcylce case.. who are you talking about ?? RSB ??

If so... I can get the true stroy if  you would like to hear the other side..

OFF TO WORK...later ---

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/09/18 11:40:52
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:38:58 (permalink)
    Why do you need 7 bullets to kill a deer ???????????????

Don't you practice any ???

I usually only need ONE bullet ????
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:46:55 (permalink)
    Doc-- not your buddy RSB--- your tounge in cheek buddy of swimmimg fame, happened many years ago while he was still a deputy. 7 bullets= 6 to clear the brush and one for the kill.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:48:23 (permalink)

Me too. But it holds 7, so I load 7. Do you only load 1 because that's all you 'usually need'? Law against this? Or do you just think it's wrong? Wouldn't want to go against what you believe. You are the Dr. and must be 100% right in everything you do...and dictate to everyone else weather the way they do it is right, wrong, or illegal. So, am I breaking one of those 'off the books' laws here?

Never understood why guys give you such a hard time on here...I'm starting to get it. It's your way or the wrong way.
    post edited by Pork - 2009/09/18 11:49:45

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:49:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Pork

Me too. But it holds 7, so I load 7. Do you only load 1 because that's all you 'usually need'? Law against this? Or do you just think it's wrong? Wouldn't want to go against what you believe. You are the Dr. and must be 100% right in everything you do...and dictate to everyone else weather the way they do it is right, wrong, or illegal. So, am I breaking one of those 'off the books' laws here?

Never understood why guys give you such a hard time on here...I'm starting to get it. It's you way or the wrong way.

He and Spoonchucker should get a civil union.

- T. Fleming
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 11:57:47 (permalink)

3...spotlighting with a unloaded, cased rifle in the bed of the truck along with the rest of your hunting gear on the way to camp,

NOTHING wrong here.. this should have been taken to court if 100% true.. I have my doubts that this was true..
    the gun was probably loaded... 

Spotlighting Wildlife: It is unlawful to 1) spotlight wildlife while in
    possession of a firearm, except by individuals who have a License
    to Carry Firearms permit, and only with firearms authorized by the
    permit (most sporting arms are not authorized), bow and arrow, or
    other device capable of killing wildlife

Guess the question here is what is considered "in possession." I was always under the assumption, from the time I took my hunters' safety course 21 years ago, that it meant no weapons in the vehicle at all.

I imagine you could argue in the case of a cased firearm in the back of a pickup truck that the gun is not "in possession" but I doubt a WCO would go for that.
    post edited by rsquared - 2009/09/18 12:32:14
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 12:01:39 (permalink)

Here we go ---

Might not be the best idea in the world, but where do you find in the Hunting Digest that it is illegal to lean a loaded gun against a tree? Never heard that one before. Or to lean it against anything other than a vehicle for that matter.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 12:42:25 (permalink)
    Never heard that one before either. I must break that law every time out, eating candy, cakes, getting flask out, using slate or bushytail calls, glassing the area or just keeping the hands warm.

Crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2009/09/18 13:05:20
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 14:58:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Doc-- not your buddy RSB--- your tounge in cheek buddy of swimmimg fame, happened many years ago while he was still a deputy. 7 bullets= 6 to clear the brush and one for the kill.

Yep I shoot until there dead or outta sight!!!!Hate to have them run to another hunter....
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 14:58:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rsquared

Spotlighting Wildlife: It is unlawful to 1) spotlight wildlife while in
    possession of a firearm, except by individuals who have a License
    to Carry Firearms permit, and only with firearms authorized by the
    permit (most sporting arms are not authorized), bow and arrow, or
    other device capable of killing wildlife

i don't understand the part about 'firearms authorized by the permit" where on the permit, in the code or anywhere does it restrict what you can carry concealed?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: The game comission 2009/09/18 15:44:33 (permalink)
    Riz,

It rerfers ( not very clearly ), to a conceal carry, pistol permit. The Pa. supreme court ruled, that restrictions against such, violated the state's constitution. Hence the change in the rule.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: