1ST time on the OAK

Author
spechunter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/17 14:13:09 (permalink)

1ST time on the OAK

I am comming up to the oak in a couple of weeks for the first time. Can anyone give me some info on were to go and what to use I plan on bringing my boat to fish the river its a little 14ft aluminum. Would apreciate any information and ideas.

7 Replies Related Threads

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/17 18:50:14 (permalink)
    If your looking for a place to stay and launch your boat check out Captains cove fishing resort. Its right on the river with nice rooms and a tackle shop right there.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Sleepy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/17 21:33:58 (permalink)
    My father and I will be in the area in a few weeks as well and were wondering about wading.  We enjoy hiking to spots, however I have never been to the area and am inquiring about a good beginning point - not a spot burn - just a wadeable place which we may be able to access and hike/wade from.  Any advice is great!

Thanks
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/18 09:17:58 (permalink)
    Sleepy,
    You can start at the Dam where all the Monkeys are fishing on the wall and take the trails downstream. We usally walk down  several hundreds yrds. and find a place to jump in. There are some nice areas to work and most likely less crowded. U can also fish the stretch across from what I believe is the Archery Club. Which is about a half mile to a mile down stream from the Dam. The road to the Dam (Park Ave.) comes to a T, You have to make a left to get to the Dam parking area  about a half mile down from the T, or at the T look to your right and you will see cars parked there and a field which was a pd. parking lot. U can park there and walk down the trail and there is a decent stretch you can fish with nice rapids. I believe across from this area is the Archery Club I mentioned. The rest of the Oak that I have seen is not accessed easily and a big stretch of it is deep and not wadeable.  Hope this helps. We stay at a campground on Park Ave. called Riverview Campground, pretty cheap full hookups or tenting and decent showers and bathrooms (585)682-4213 is there number. It's about a mile to the dam and the deep part of the Oak runs right below where you camp.
    post edited by washdog - 2009/09/18 09:25:26
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/23 09:12:23 (permalink)
    Sleepy;   Washdog has it down pat. Just a reminder; if you think that hiking is going to get you away from the crowd, forget it. From the dam to the deep section of non-wadeable water is not much more than a mile at best. It will have fishermen the entire length; but getting a decent spot to fish is not too hard. Just stay put for a while and fish will swim by you. If you find an area when they stop and rest before moving, stay there. No fish can go past the dam out-flow; so you will see some fish going the other way also.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/26 19:05:20 (permalink)
    The Oak is about as crowded as a Wallmart store is on a holiday. Olcott 18 mile is even worse. If you enjoy combat fishing hop in. Better off with other choices if you know any. When the fish show up the masses flow over the hills in droves! If the weather is bad you may have a decent day with less people.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/27 12:32:08 (permalink)
    the oak runs pretty fast and  moves alot of water never  hit it this time of year. park at the dam walk down the hill cross the to the other side of the creek. this can be done by walking up around the outflot of the its very easy to do if there is lots of water in the lake there will be water in both side of you. and the center of the streams is very easy to walk...  
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: 1ST time on the OAK 2009/09/27 19:16:13 (permalink)
    bring on the combat fishing
    Jump to: