Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/09 21:42:27 (permalink)

September is Awesome !

September rocks , the smells in the air, weather is perfect (70's daytime, 50's nighttime) ... the fishing really turns on (for me anyway) ... and Football starts (the only sport i really follow) !!!

I LOVE IT !!!

GO COWBOYS !!!!

30 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/09 22:50:37 (permalink)
    LOL, Im with you Brian! love this time of year. Hey, Those bread and meat things you made at JJ2 where great! You mind sharing how you make them? If you do no prob, if not how bout posting me the recipe?   

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 09:20:42 (permalink)
    I don't know about all this "Cowboy" stuff, but I do know I like September too...

Best weather of the year in the Northeast, less people in the mountains, few bugs, and good fishing...

These next two months are great for the Outdoors- and after that, Saturdays or Sundays can be great for staying INDOORS and sitting back with football on the television all day.  I still try to get out and fish on Saturdays into November, but Sundays are reserved for the NFL until the ice is solid.

Its going to be a tough season for me though:  Broncos fan, and a Syracuse fan...  Oh no...
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 10:09:50 (permalink)
    September/October/November - my favorite season of the year, if not only because ice fishing starts after that, but I love getting out, the cool mornings, crisp air, fishing, deer hunting, leaves changing...its the BEST!!! Oh yeah, can't forget about football...gotta mention hockey too!
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 10:57:18 (permalink)
    I'm with you all.  September rocks.  Can't wait to hit up the 'Dacks this weekend.

Jimmy, it certainly looks like it's gonna be an ugly year for the Broncos.  But at the same time its nice to see another Bronco fan on the forum.  Misery loves company.

Showing up is 88% of life!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 11:46:03 (permalink)
    Denver might almost be as bad as Syracuse will be this year...  But at least the Broncos have some talent!

I *LOVED* Knowshon Mareno at Georgia last season- I hope he stays healthy enough to show some promise.

And one of these days (mark my words) Chris Simms will be a Pro Bowl quarterback if they give him enough rep's.

I think good QB lineage is crucial...  The Manning Family is good evidence of that.

Phil Simms was a heck of a QB and his son is way stronger...  Might be a good fit in Mile High the next few years!

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 12:48:05 (permalink)
    Giants ALL the WAY!!!    Trout like this month TOO!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 16:36:30 (permalink)
    Hey, Those bread and meat things you made at JJ2 where great! You mind sharing how you make them? If you do no prob, if not how bout posting me the recipe?

That and pizza are my specialties ... that was garbage bread (stromboli) ... pretty much just spread the dough out real thin, as big as you can get it, what you throw in is totally up to you. Those had ham,salami,peperoni,provalone & a little mozz cheese. Roll it up tight, put a little oil, garlic powder, black pepper on the out side and bake until nice and brown !!! 

Sometimes i put green olives, or peppers. Or different cheeses , my wife likes a side of sauce to dip it in. Really what ever you feel like putting in it.  

BB
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 17:36:38 (permalink)
    kindof funny jim and Kaydeross, I'm a broncos fan or maybe soon it should be used to be a broncos fan, with them getting rid of cutler and shanahan what the F, and we finally get a big time running back that would have gone with culter and marshall, I'm glad i also like the giants.

cowboys though thats rough in the northeast, my brothers a dolphins fan and went to school in buffalo, just like the espn comercials he used to get pelted with snowballs.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 18:48:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

These next two months are great for the Outdoors- and after that, Saturdays or Sundays can be great for staying INDOORS and sitting back with football on the television all day.  I still try to get out and fish on Saturdays into November, but Sundays are reserved for the NFL until the ice is solid.

WHAT !!!! Inside when all those tender loins are calling !!!!
    You FREAKIN CRAZY man !!! Up in a tree will be me ...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 18:51:01 (permalink)
    Mmmm hmm. Italians call it stromboli, us shanty irish call it garbage bread. Either way, it's friggin delicious.  The more pepperoni you use, the greasier it will be. Thats not necessarily a bad thing though, hell we eat goose jerky here.

Also, the Super Bowl can be visited at Lambeau Field sometime in February.

THE PACK IS BACK

KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 19:16:35 (permalink)
    I see it differently Yank:
    Downstate- Stomboli
    Upstate-     Garbage Bread

Either way- Delicious!

I like any of the meats coupled with sun-dried tomatoes and fresh mozzarella inside, but that's just me.

Jimmy, let's hope Chris Simms turns into his dad, Kyle Orton channels Jeff Hostler, and any of our 85 running backs turns into O. J. Anderson for a day.  Then we'll have something going.  My hopes are not high for that though.  But as long as we beat the **** out of the Raiders twice, I'll be satisfied.

KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 19:19:24 (permalink)
    BTW, Tuna, I hear what ya our saying too!  Just got bow, and hopefully I'll be ready for next season.  Good luck my man!

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 21:06:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Brian! I'm a Southern boy You cant get to hot or greasy for me, lol
    Thanx for the recipe cause that was awesome, first time I ever had Stomboly or garbage bread. I will try my hand at it this weekend.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 21:10:10 (permalink)
    Giants ALL the WAY!!! Trout like this month TOO!!!!

I'm with you on that Perch! Go Go GOOOO Giants!

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 21:23:17 (permalink)

Oh No, another Giant fan   ... i take back every nice thing i ever said about you !!! LOL
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 21:35:57 (permalink)
    I will try my hand at it this weekend.

A few things i thought of ...

When you do get the dough spread right out, spread everything out over the whole thing (not just stacked up) then you roll it up. making sure it's cooked enough is key too, if under cooked it will be doughy in the center. I use a cooking stone and cook @ 425 ... usually takes 25 minutes or so, i just go by look though. I would not recommend american cheese , it gets very runny/liquid like ... prov cheese works best IMO.

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 22:02:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

Oh No, another Giant fan   ... i take back every nice thing i ever said about you !!! LOL
        Hi, BB!!!!!!  Big BLUE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    JustMatt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 22:18:22 (permalink)
    Sept. makes me think of getting ready for turkeys anybody looking for a spot or help me with one? (big blue made it home on one axle,,,carefully would never neglect her jigs but it was a shaaaaame. But if stuck anywhere snyders is a good place.)
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/10 22:59:40 (permalink)
    Bassin' Brian's new avitar is one of the funniest things I have seen...

That's good stuff, man...
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 08:16:51 (permalink)
    Don't forget baseball............the MLB pennant races and of course the over 45 CDMSBL Playoffs where my Golden Marlins have a decent shot at the league championship. We just played in the labor day tourney and played 4 games between 10 AM Saturday and 3 PM SUnday........almost didn't mind being knocekd out since we didn'h have to play a 3rd game on SUnday.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 10:51:27 (permalink)
    Good call SOF,

The pennant race really cranks up and then October rolls along and we get to glue-in to the "Fall Classic" for a week or so...  While the Yanks are finally showing the caliber of baseball needed to run the ALCS, these past few seasons have me sort of laying low and making sure A-Rod doesn't follow his normal ritual of being a "Mr. July" and failing to do anything in the post-season.

Nice to see Jeter get his props this week though.  Love him or hate 'em- you know every dad wants his kid to turn out like that guy.  He's becoming 'Jordan-esque' in his image- minus the gambling, semit-retirement, and that ridiculous .119 batting average in the minors for awhile...

The Yanks and Fall Foliage are a great match. 

It would be nice to be up north chasing brookies or pike, listening to Sterling call an ALCS or World Series game from my canoe.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 12:51:06 (permalink)
    My best (in terms of numbers anyway) tuna trip ever was one year when the yankees were in the playoffs and we managed to get radio reception 100+ miles offshore..............we anchored at 4PM.......i had a runoff at 4:15 while i was making a sandwich and missed it.....dropped right back down and BAM .....nice 50 pound yellowfin on and landed....dropped right back down and BAM another 50 pound yellow ...landed that, dropped back down and BAM yet another 50 pound class yellowfin on........gave that to my buddy who landed it.

So at this point i've hooked 3 fish...............and it is 5 PM.....the Yankees are making a comeback in a playoff game that they eventually win, the sun is going down 100+ miles offshore and the tuna are bitin...and the sierra nevada pale ales are going down well........what a night.............i ended up hooking 7, landing 4 myself and giving 3 to my buddies to reel in.

One of the other killer tuna trips included watching a mahi get hooked.....then freak out while getting reeled in and a 400+ pound blue marlin come up, inhale the mahi, get hooked and then spool us..............that was cool as well.
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 12:52:44 (permalink)
    I should be on my way back in from my 3 day trip now but the storm to our south and east wreaked havoc with the seas and we are postponed until later this month.

There's still room if anyone is game!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 13:02:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ship of Fools

My best (in terms of numbers anyway) tuna trip ever was one year when the yankees were in the playoffs and we managed to get radio reception 100+ miles offshore..............we anchored at 4PM.......i had a runoff at 4:15 while i was making a sandwich and missed it.....dropped right back down and BAM .....nice 50 pound yellowfin on and landed....dropped right back down and BAM another 50 pound yellow ...landed that, dropped back down and BAM yet another 50 pound class yellowfin on........gave that to my buddy who landed it.

So at this point i've hooked 3 fish...............and it is 5 PM.....the Yankees are making a comeback in a playoff game that they eventually win, the sun is going down 100+ miles offshore and the tuna are bitin...and the sierra nevada pale ales are going down well........what a night.............i ended up hooking 7, landing 4 myself and giving 3 to my buddies to reel in.

One of the other killer tuna trips included watching a mahi get hooked.....then freak out while getting reeled in and a 400+ pound blue marlin come up, inhale the mahi, get hooked and then spool us..............that was cool as well.

WOW...WOW...

I can't wait, my buddy's parents just bought a house on the cape, and we will be targeting tuna BIG TIME next year around the cape...would love to get into some bluefin!

ahhh...about to leave for a camping trip up to the sacandaga river - the fishing might not be good, but the drinks will be cold!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 13:17:44 (permalink)
    If I was going to shoot something this Fall, it would be a Bluefin Tuna...

My only annual Fall tradition is the Columbus Day weekend down in Jersey for Stripers and Blues.  This year I have six (6) different trips to Philly on the schedule for work- and since Philly is less than 90min from my best friends house on Long Beach Island, I might get several 'extra' shots this year, I hope.

But all you hunters- GO GET 'EM!!!  Ice fishing weekends just wouldn't be the same without deer on the grill!

I'll say one thing:  this club sure eats well, doesn't it!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/11 21:26:05 (permalink)
    Oh No, another Giant fan ... i take back every nice thing i ever said about you !!! LOL

LOL,

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/13 08:35:46 (permalink)
    All:

Eagle Ed makes me an Eagle fan, but not as proud with the addition of the dog killer.  However, my AFC team has always been the Broncos - so add another Mile High fan to the crowd.
    Do remember playing the Cowboys in the final regular season game in 2008, but cannot remember the final score.  I keep hearing voices that say Eagles - 44 Cowboys 7!

Eagle Ed
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/13 20:06:40 (permalink)
    And The Broncos pull one out of their, well you know.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: September is Awesome ! 2009/09/13 20:07:49 (permalink)
    Do remember playing the Cowboys in the final regular season game in 2008, but cannot remember the final score.  I keep hearing voices that say Eagles - 44 Cowboys 7!

Actually 44-6  ... i remember it all to well , not that i want to !!

Philly won easy today but McNabb hurt
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/09/13 20:09:01
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: