A Legend Passed

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/07 16:37:56 (permalink)

A Legend Passed

Fran Betters passed away yesterday............his contribution to the fly fishing world culminated last year with his induction into the fly fishing hall of fame- he was a character, and I'm sure everyone can think of a good "Fran" story or saying.......
He will be missed...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

4 Replies Related Threads

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: A Legend Passed 2009/09/07 17:14:51 (permalink)
    he invented a lot of great flies, I met him a few times, but he was older then, but always bought some of his flies.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: A Legend Passed 2009/09/07 21:29:20 (permalink)
     I have 8 of his flies in a special box, but haven't busted any of them out yet, since I haven't been to Dacks since I got them.  A real nice fella and indeed a legend of the ADKs.  I'm sure he's still hooking em in the great beyond.   Yup ya should have seen the look he gave me when I asked if they sold any F11 Rapalas- ow!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: A Legend Passed 2009/09/08 09:22:38 (permalink)
    A great guy. I was lucky enough to meet him at his shop when I was a young kid. He really went out of his way to help me, and when I told him I tied flies, well, his face just lit up. He was THE genuine article. Not many like him left.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: A Legend Passed 2009/09/08 10:07:01 (permalink)
    Yeah, my neighbor brought me to Fran's OLD shop a long, long time ago during a trip to Mirror Lake and the Ausable back when I was in third grade.  Fran was SO nice to me, and gave me a pin I wore all weekend.

He was one of the few who 'stuck it out' in the ADKs and really built a reputation for himself.

I know he was having a pretty rough go-of-it these past few years and was even selling off his shop, etc.  I can only imagine the combonation of poor health and an even poorer financial situation didn't help matters.

The last of that generation up there, it seems.  He'd been around a long time, huh?
    Jump to: