Musky Newby

Author
Stcroixsteelie
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/06 14:29:04 (permalink)

Musky Newby

Hey guys I am just getting into musky fishing. I got my first one just yesterday a 44incher and I am hooked. I am an avid bass fisherman and lover chasing steelies in the winter but also am always trying new things. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice for a begining musky angler maybe even tips on saving some cash in the process because it seems like everything out there is expensive. Thanks much!

4 Replies Related Threads

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Musky Newby 2009/09/06 17:53:56 (permalink)
    Some general tips. Just because something is twice the cost does not mean it is twice as good. Get your self set up with 2 or three nice comfortable rod/reel combos, they do not have to be expensive but good quality is a must they will take some abuse, then you will ask them to pullin a fish that has a bad attitude. Make sure the combos cover a wide area of different baits. the part of buying baits is hard (for me atleast) trying to get what you and want what you think you need is hard. But start out with smaller muskie baits 6-9 inch will get you pike also that will make the day fun, as you start your journey on the muskie learning curve. Remember you will make alot of mistakes and learn from them and just have fun, it isnt worth it if all you do is get mad. Oh and keep the line wet, you wont catch them unless your bait is in the water.
    Stcroixsteelie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Musky Newby 2009/09/07 14:26:05 (permalink)
    Thanks man appreciate the advice!  I'm not too computer savy but as soon as I can I'll post the pic of my first one
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Musky Newby 2009/09/07 17:49:24 (permalink)
    Make sure to not skimp on terminal tackle such as leaders and line rod and reels. As for lures i'd start out with a handful of baits suchs as bigger musky spinnerbaits, in line spinners(aka. bucktails) and some crankbaits and topwaters. Firetiger and all black colors seem to produce fish no matter where you take them. I'd worry the least about color until you get a feel for what works for you on your bodys of water you fish then expand your selection of lures and colors. This will save you alot of money and time. Good Luck!

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Musky Newby 2009/09/08 18:04:06 (permalink)
    Should of also noted to get the proper release tools before you get into the equipment aspect. Good hook cutters, pliers and jaw spreaders are a must. A net is optional but saves you a ton of energy and makes it alot easier on the fish. Its very easy with a fish of this strength to do some serious injury to a person. 5/0 treble hooks into your hand or arm can do some serious damage.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: