Trail camera thieves

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/18 20:49:49 (permalink)

Trail camera thieves

Finally got hammered by the good for nothing punk****thieving little pieces of S@#$!!
  My 4 wheeler was down for e week waiting for parts and I had my camera in a place it shouldn't have been for the weekend. The kids with wheelers beat me to it this morning. The trail was still muddy when I got there. $400 down the tubes.  Can't stand someone who steals.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

16 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/18 21:11:54 (permalink)
    That really sucks!

Too bad it isnt the kind that emails pictures to you. I bet the camera got a picture of its thief.

I guess one good thing about my stealth cams, is at least they arent expensive. If someone took them i'd be really ****ed, but not out a lot of money.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/20 08:32:11 (permalink)
    Thats the reason I havent bought one. Im planning to not let my new hangon in the woods more then two days. I dont trust 90% of the people in the woods. Same guy who will stop and say hi will be the same guy to steal your stuff or **** in a complete 360 around your treestand.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/28 07:18:22 (permalink)
    Well, good news on the camera front..Got my camera back. Was kind of a shady deal but one of the local farmers sons had taken it. My guess is he came across it and viewed the pictures and pulled the camera.
       Now all of a sudden they dont want anyone hunting back in there. We have had a reciprocal hunting agreement with them for 40 yrs. Had to go get the camera from his mother because he had left for Ill. to take a new job. He was supposed to return the camera before he left.
      They knew it was mine because the first person i called was his father(the landowner) to see if I put my camera where it shouldn't be and if they had it. He said no but he would do everything in his power to get my camera back. Which wasn't a hell of alot because it hung on his garage wall for 2 weeks..
      Wish I could see the pictures that got erased. He took the camera apart and erased all the photos. 

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/28 09:47:03 (permalink)
    I had one taken off a tree in Pittsburgh.  It was private land and no one else had permission to be on it, though it wasn't posted.  It wasn't in the woods for 2 days and it was gone.  It wasn't expensive, but come on.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/28 10:26:32 (permalink)
    Glad you got it back. 

I guess there are advantages to hunting big woods. 

KNOCK ON WOOD.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/08/30 07:38:33
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/28 12:22:13 (permalink)
    Im taking mine out here soon. I even got a cable lock for it but who's to say you still cant rip it off the tree if you really try. I wont be leaving it more then an evening at a time, and once season starts it wont be in the woods at all. If someone steals it, ill never buy another one. Guys where I hunt must not be too bad. I saw a ladder stand in plain view by a field in rifle season two years ago, dont know if it got stollen but it was there for a few days, your a lot braver then I am to put a stand right where everyone can see it and let it there in rifle season.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/28 12:26:39 (permalink)
    I dont trust 90% of the people in the woods.

Boy, aren't you trusting. 

I don't trust 99.9999% of 'em.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/29 22:12:17 (permalink)
    I won't buy one just for these same reasons...its a shame, but reality.  I've had several treestands stolen on land that I had permission to hunt and on land that I own myself.  I think the trail cam is a great scouting tool, but far too expensive to hang just for some idiot to come along and steel.  I'll stick to my summer scouting routine and my new Equalizer climber on property I'm unsure of!  If you lock you stand or cam, use a cable lock with the built in lock system...the cable cannot be cut by bolt cutters and the lock is built right into the cable...NO padlocks!  Good Luck this season bings!

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 09:28:45 (permalink)
    Those are the locks i like. I would have used that on my trail camera but it just wont fit through the lock hole. I had to get a tall padlock so I could put both the cable ends in the lock plus the lock through the camera. Bad thing is, you prob could just rip that camera right out if you tried hard enough.

What sad is that hunters dont have respect for the time and money other hunters put into their stuff.

Im a firm believer that if I come into a an area and find someone elses gear, they beat me to it, its theirs for the season. While there may be little space in some places of the state, around here theres an awful lot of open land to hunt. Why on earth would you steal some guys stuff. We need to team up together and make the penalties a little stiffer for stealing treestands and such.

Hey guys, next time you have a stand or something stolen try this. I saw this on a forum yesterday, sounds like a good idea.

Go back out where you stuff was, and right along the area where the stand was, and at the parking area put up a sign that says...

"Thank you to whoever stole my (treestand,camera). I am surprised that you didnt see the other trail camera in the area that took your picture while you were stealing my gear. I have turned that picture into the state police and they are on the lookout for you, next time, think about looking around a little more before you do something so stupid."

The guy that apparently did this said he had a blind stolen, didnt even own a trail camera, the blind was laying at the base of the sign within the next week.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 10:18:26 (permalink)
    Pretty good idea.  I have been afraid to hang a camera because of the kids that play where I hunt, But I If i had one stolen I would be preety upset.  If I came across one in the woods I would want to know whos it was just to ask if it got any good pics and if I could see them.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 10:35:12 (permalink)
    I think another thing you can do is write your name and phone number inside with permanent marker. That way there is no doubt whose it is..

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 11:19:18 (permalink)
    Before I take mine out the next time Im going to modify it in some way to add more security to it. Not sure what its going to be but its definately going to be something. Once archery season starts, it wont be back out again till feb.

I am going to make it so that it takes a rachet strap. The camera is currently held in with two bungy cords that suck.

Wanted to tell you, not sure if you guys are aware but Moultrie, makes the camera that I use. I paid $117 for it total with the 1gb memory card at walmart. If your willing to spend another 50 on the camera you can get away from the flash and go infared. This camera with this card will store over 900 high quality photos or 100 10 second video clips.

I stayed away from them for awhile to because of price. Now, losing $100 would suck but not as much as $400->$600.

I think you really need to hide it well, be careful where you put it and when you put it somewhere. Like i said, I lean more towards the idea it WILL get stolen then WONT. 24->48hrs max, mid week when everyone is at work and season isnt in, not close to a beaten path and you should be fairly safe.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 20:57:04 (permalink)
    I've got two of the same cameras you are describing.Got them at china-mart for $100..Had bought one to use away from home so I could keep the expensive one near home.

The first night I put it out I thought it was malfunctioning, There were 246 pictures on it after 36 hrs near my deer feeder. 8-10 raccoons and two little deer spent most of the night eating corn..It was set on 1 min. delay with 3 pictures..Must have flashed almost all night..

But when my expensive camera got taken I bought a second one. Then 2 weeks later I get it back. Now I'm running three cameras in the woods. Get to see pictures of different buck almost every day..Only problem that I've had with these cameras is there slow shutter time. Terrible pictures of moving animals..Are quite blurry..

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 21:37:34 (permalink)
    I've thought about buying a trail cam just for that reason!  The only difference is that I would climb a nearby tree with my climber to hang the cam, somewhat concealing it.  So in the event the snatcher comes...he gets caught on film!  Isn't it a shame that we have to think of these measures just to hang a stand or cam?  What a shame! 

When I see another stand in the woods, I simply turn around and look for alternative hunting spots.  Its what we all should do, but there are idiots in every facet of life aren't there?  There is little we can do about it, but teach our children what is right and spread good practices.

bings: "I think another thing you can do is write your name and phone number inside with permanent marker. That way there is no doubt whose it is.."

Chances are, you'll never see the thing ever again.  Its sad to say that we must just live with and accept the fact that when we leave something out in the woods, where others may stumble across them, those things are liable to get stolen.  I've had 3 stands stolen in the past 3 years on property only I and the landowner have permission to hunt....baffling, but reality.  We all know that sometimes reality hurts!  I have 2 stands hung already and check them periodically to make they have not been tampered with.  Its all I can do.  Good Luck to you all this season!! 

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/08/30 22:17:30 (permalink)
    Buy a cheap trail cam and leave it in plain sight.
    Hide your other cam pointed at the cheap one.
    Revenge or police depending on your morals
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Trail camera thieves 2007/09/02 17:55:46 (permalink)
    if u have a roll film camra make the first picture always you then if it gets stolen go to the developing stores and tell them to call u if they see your picture and more pictures of deer
    Jump to: