8/14 on the Mohawk with Reel Force

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/15 09:49:20 (permalink)

8/14 on the Mohawk with Reel Force

So Jeff and I headed out yesterday afternoon under bluebird skies and no wind. Perfect day to tip a few Saranacs back and see what we could catch. First we made our way up to lock 7 and tried our luck just below the dam. Nothing was doing there, but it's always nice scenery there. Then we looped around to the power plant where Jeff picked up 2 small bronzebacks on the dropshot, and I picked another up on a curly tail. Heading back near the lock, Jeff picked up another smallie along with a rock bass, again, on the dropshot. And I pick up another rockie. Now I'm thinking I should switch to the drop, but like usual, I'm too lazy to change out any of my set-ups.

Now we're not getting anything worthwhile below this lock, so we pick up and start speeding back towards some of my favorite spots. Along the way, I see some fish jumping in a looong stretch of pads that I've never fished. I'm usually on the hunt for walleye, so I've always overlooked this stretch. And I can see drool coming from Jeff's mouth looking at these pads. We sneak in an right off the bat we start hitting smallies up to 3 lbs. Jeff on his lizard first, then his drop-shot again. I hit them on a shallow running crank. Also got a small walleye off the crank. Then Jeff gets a huge hit on the drop, and the fish starts heading towards deeper water. He's yellin', "this is the best one of the day!" I'm thinking it's a monster walleye. Turns out to be a sweeet channel cat in the 5lb range.

Looking back, we should have stayed in this area for the rest of the evening, but we took off in search of 'eyes. No more 'eyes, but we did manage a few more fish. One of which was a fat 12" perch, again caught by Jeff on a drop shot.

All in all, a great time out with a great dude. 5 species caught, but no pics. My wife had our camera, and Jeff forgot his in the car.

I may have to give this drop shot thing a chance.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

2 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: 8/14 on the Mohawk with Reel Force 2009/08/15 18:31:04 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great trip.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: 8/14 on the Mohawk with Reel Force 2009/08/16 18:02:26 (permalink)
    Just wanted to say "Thanx" Doug - I had a great time out there we got to do it again sometime soon !
    Jump to: