Out West Again

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/06 18:40:11 (permalink)

Out West Again

I know it's a little off topic right now with all the JJII buzz but unlike my ole lady I like to plan ahead and try to make a plan.

Next spring we will be headed back out west for 2 weeks with the main focus on Yellowstone and Colorado then a side trip to AZ to visit my daughter. My first thought was just jump in the truck and drive but that would put us 9 days on the road... Now we are looking to possibly flying into Las Vegas (cheap air fare) and truckin' it from there up to MT. then down to AZ.

I guess after this long intro I'm asking for info as to best times within my scope, fishing and off tourist. This year we went to the Grand Canyon in mid March and it was perfect...
What I have open is April through Mid May then sometime after mid June(which I think is tourist time). I know nothing of Montana and only the GD from Colorado so I don't care about a little snow but don't want footage. Also I read Mid may can produce lots of runoff and blow waters out.

Can anyone tell me when a good time to go there is durring those times (early or later) or is it just a crap shoot then ?
I may also inquire later for some intel on fishin' holes

Thanks.....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

3 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Out West Again 2009/08/06 19:32:36 (permalink)
    i was in yellowstone end of july into beginning of august ..i seen alittle snow while camping at a primative campground and campers told me if i was there just a week ago it snowed enough to detour some of the higher passes i was using.. I had a blast along the scennic gallitan river..i was nailing small beautiful cutthroats and browns and most pools were right along an easy access road I had all to myself.. I would say end of july throughout august for yellowstone,, wish i went to glacier national park..that place is awesome,wherever you decide, the park is amazing. google map the gallitan river.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Out West Again 2009/08/06 19:46:38 (permalink)
    Tuna, from my few stints living in CO, I can tell you one thing the locals used to tell me. "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes". I do know of some prime fly fishing waters in Summit County, specifically the Blue and Snake Rivers.  And if you're in the mood for walleye, I can point you to 2 waters not too far from Denver with good populations of nice sized 'eyes. I forget the names of them right now, but can find them looking at a map. I'll be out there in just over a month myself. Can't wait!!!

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Out West Again 2009/08/06 19:46:43 (permalink)
    thanks 79 but June & July are out for us and I'd really like to avoid tourist season. Just read that last month was the highest visitors ever in yellowstone.
    We are limited to April(or before) through May and thought I could get some fishing in before the big waters. Thought maybe there was a point when the run-off starts and we could get there before. If not no matter we would be working our way south to AZ where I LOVED the Sedona area and need to investigate more.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: