found a few bass pics, much more to come

Author
blitz42
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 258
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/06 18:19:34 (permalink)

found a few bass pics, much more to come

As it says, i found just a couple pics, and just thought i'd throw em up.
i've been quiet lately, here's a day or two's worth of fishing

DOUBLED UP!

caught a bunch more but didnt feel like finding the camera. will be back with more pics, once i can upload/ find em'

11 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/06 18:37:08 (permalink)
    I know where that last bass came from, Dude!  That's a good spot...  The Smallies stack up there too sometimes.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/06 18:43:06 (permalink)
    Nice going on the basses dude
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/06 18:55:53 (permalink)
    I'm hating new jersey

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/06 19:09:01 (permalink)
    PM me waypoints ...  .... Nice job !
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/06 20:00:07 (permalink)
    Nice fish Blitz. Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just post a few of my own from Monday on the Mohawk right here. I'm finally starting to find some bigger smallies, but I'm waiting for Jimmy to show me his hot spots.  The river was muddy with a pretty strong current on Monday, so it was pretty tough going.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/06 22:36:30 (permalink)
    NICE HOOK!. i love smallies, they fight real good. but they seem to have trouble actually getting a big spook style bait in their mouths. went smally fishing, i was about 5 fish for 15 strikes. went for largies, wnt about 6 fish for 7 strikes.

anyway, is the mohawk worth hiting up for bass? never tried it but i'm hoping to find some new territory this year. thanks, russ
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/07 07:42:34 (permalink)
    Blitz, I think the bigger smallies are farther out west towards Amsterdam. Sometimes I catch a decent one by accident while going for walleyes. But in my limited experience, most smallies between locks 6 and 8 average on the smaller side. I am still searching though.

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/07 10:31:56 (permalink)
    There are big smallies in that stretch, but they are buried in the weeds with the big pig largemouth
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/07 10:54:22 (permalink)
    Here's the beans...  Rexford, baby...  REXFORD!

The run between Lock 7 and the Alplaus Kill/Freeman's Bridge holds bruisers smallies... I haven't fished it the season at all (boat issues) but I typically slam the stretach all summer.  The cliffs and old Erie Canal aquaduct remains at the Rexford Yach Club at sweet.  Big lead and giant tube/squid jigs are the ticket.

Trolling short and fat deep-diving cranks will also get you plenty of Smallies and a few Walters in the mix.

For the shore-bound guys- the whole Lock 7 complex is awesome.  I fished it several times a week as a kid, and from the reports I see- the fishing is even better now!  Find big bass and pike above the dam in the crescent pool with anything weedless.  You can fish it in several places from shore, or walk the bikepath a short ways upriver and take and of the trails on the right to the water.  They are all good.

Or walk over the downstream lock gate (there is a walkway) and fish the far side of the downstream outlet of the lock.  You can stand right back in there and get good casts right below the dam.  Walleye and smallies.  Has anyone seen this walleye that came out of Lock 7 last week?

Same dude got this Tiger a few weeks back at Lock 7 too... 

Largies?  Reel Force knows where they are on the Mohawk!  Get closer towards Scotia and fish the area where the river splits at the Western Gateway Bridge/Jumpin' Jacks.  The massive weedbeds near the Glen Sanders Mansion have bucketheads (and at least one sweet pike) in them.

Launching at the Freeman's Bridge ramp is a friggin' CIRCUS on weekend, so I usually put in at the ramp right above Lock 7 and just make the ride.

The Freeman's ramp has limited parking and seems to attract the least competant boat owners in the Capital Region.  I have pretty much given up on that ramp except for weekdays when the yahoo's are working.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/07 12:11:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips Jimmy. I did see those from MyFishFinder forum. Just didn't know if he got'em above or below the lock.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: found a few bass pics, much more to come 2009/08/07 14:41:50 (permalink)
    Below...  Over the downstream-side lock doors and on the open river side below the dam...

By the way, another killer shorefishing spot is on the other side (Vischer's Ferry) of the dam where when it is flowing nicely you can cast to the eddy formed by the warm water discharge from the NiMo plant.

Whern I am there with my boat I typically fish that side the most- cruising right up into the natural creek and bedrocks waterfalls that the dam is built around.  There are PILES of smallmouth in there.  Most are 2lbs and up.

The best lures I have found for them are heavier finesse jigs/ "jig and pig" combos...  If your trailer looks like crawfish claws then you are doing it right...  Ha!  I think those fish gorge on them around there... 

Jump to: