JJ II ???

Author
Perch Inc.
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 707
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/05 04:45:51 (permalink)

JJ II ???

Well, no one started a thread about the Biggest Fish Contest for JJ II !! What type fish are we going to use this YEAR??? Most of you know my choice PERCH/GILLS!!   But Bass are fine with me!! I know you guy have a HARD time catching Monster PERCH!!!       LOL  How about the biggest fish on a Fly Rod!!!!!       

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!

8 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 07:12:49 (permalink)
    Somebody mentioned something about a muli-species contest, maybe a combined length one of each (eye,bass,crappie,perch) ???      

I'm down with anything.
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/08/05 07:15:13
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 09:27:21 (permalink)
    Yeah- I am just working on a 'weigh-in boat' proposition with Tuna for the day to see if something might work.

Here is a brief and incomplete idea of what I was thinking about and what I may have mentioned to Brian the other day.  Sort of a "King of the Lake" kind of pool instead of the "Lunker Pool" like last year.

It would be fun to switch it up each season but still try to keep it relatively simple.

We could do overall length.  Measuring the same way we weighed-in on the water last year.  It's easy and like the Lunker Pool gives a lucky (or skilled) angler a shot to win it all with a nice Walleye or Carp, even. (But I don't think ILikePike is making it on Sat  and I've been seeing carp all week!).

A real "King of the Lake" deal would be combining the overall lengths of each species.  It might be beastly with so many fish being checked, etc.  but pannies could be kept and wouldn't have to be measured.  And that way a certain few grey-haired fella's who will be supplying a fish fry have a shot at some winnings if they get a decent smallie, largie and walter?

Just putting it out there for discussion.  Simple is best (and an aggregate total is not simplest) but it would also be cool to see an overall 'judging' of best angler.  We've never really been an all-bass club anyway, and that's what makes it so cool!  An overall length total (one of each species) would not really boost the amount of measuring needed, etc.  Pannies would be back at the dock at the end of the day anyway, right?

Here is a prospective species list:
    • Yellow Perch
    • Bluegill
    • White and Black Crappie
    • Smallmouth Bass
    • Largemouth Bass
    • Rock Bass (shouldn't count since they suck to eat- but we could keep one in the event of a tiebreaker?)
    • Walleye
    • Bullhead
    • Common Carp

That's a pretty decent list.  But let's hear some feedback and we'll have it all ironed out before the week of the party, I bet.  Sounds like it is all coming together as usual.  Forewood deliveries are always welcome, and you boys should get in touch.  You could drop wood some evening after work and get a few hours on the lake?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 10:09:31 (permalink)
    You could drop wood some evening after work and get a few hours on the lake?

Yeah for a 3 day gathering your going to need a lot of burning material, i know a few of the other guys i spoke with are bringing some. I plan on dropping some off during the week prior. Maybe even stop up lunch time Friday the 28th for a quick unload and slam down a cold one if anybody is around  
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 10:29:18 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me, let's leave out the rockies!!!! 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 10:49:12 (permalink)
    Saratoga Tackles ice tournament uses multiple species by doubling or tripling weight for certain species. It is like 1 x for pike, 3 x for walleye, 6 x for perch. Something like that. I can find out exactly how it goes from Tim or Nick if you want to go that way.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 20:33:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

Yeah- I am just working on a 'weigh-in boat' proposition with Tuna for the day to see if something might work.

As said I am liking that idea , most know me and I'm laid back, fishin is just a bonus and rarely get to chill out, drink and jam to tunes on a days fishing so it seems super great to me before Salmon season (work) starts. For sure we could get in some fishin' as well and move around in different boats through out the day.
    again as last year I fished with Perch who I never met before that day and it was one of my finest days on the water he totally opened my eyes to the other lunkers, good eats!!!. So folks may arrive as strangers but all leave as one of "Jimmy's gang" as Perch would say.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/05 21:40:16 (permalink)
    For the many different fish we all like fishing for, one that was interesting to watch was the Grand slam tournaments they have up north. So if we did a list on here like you did with the boats and food, kinda let every one nominate a fish type the would like to see in tournament, then put that as the target fish gills bass piks walls and so on. go with combined measurement of largest of each fish type caught plus a bonus of 2 inches for each species caught so theres an insentive to try for each type. somethin like that. what a challenge not only catching the type you know how but then to try and go after the other kinds as well. just throwin that idea out. but I am game for anything we come up with.
    I nominate Crappie. as one. .......bet that surprized you. lol 
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/08/05 21:41:27

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    RE: JJ II ??? 2009/08/06 08:17:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

As said I am liking that idea , most know me and I'm laid back, fishin is just a bonus and rarely get to chill out, drink and jam to tunes on a days fishing so it seems super great to me before Salmon season (work) starts. For sure we could get in some fishin' as well and move around in different boats through out the day.
    again as last year I fished with Perch who I never met before that day and it was one of my finest days on the water he totally opened my eyes to the other lunkers, good eats!!!. So folks may arrive as strangers but all leave as one of "Jimmy's gang" as Perch would say.
    RJ, Same HERE!!! Thanks for the KIND Words!!! Last year I meet 9 strangers that I know "CALL FRIENDS"!!!!!!! THANKS JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: