"Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line!

Author
Mr.Jigs
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 352
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/03 23:05:26 (permalink)

"Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line!

For those who may have never heard of this method you may be surprized at how popular it has become. I rarely ever go out with out taking mine just in case. My crappie pole is w/reel is 12 footer my shortest is a 10 footer. My longest and most fun for doodling is a 18 footer no reel. when I realy want a change in fishing fun I take my 28 ft pole out of the closet. Using it I have to shipback and use the roller, wich attaches to the back of the boat. but for getting into the thickest hiding places for crappie or big bass you can NO way cast to you cant beat it, but it does take practice practice practice.
IF by now I've lost you try this for fun lol
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/crappies-panfish-fishing/RA_0405_07/
http://www.medusafeeders.co.uk/what_is_pole_fishing.htm
http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/fish/seh/nl/en/shimanoexperience/consultants_corner/alan_scotthorne/master_the_long_pole.html
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=long+pole+fishing&hl=en&client=firefox-a&emb=0&aq=f#q=long+pole+fishing&hl=en&client=firefox-a&emb=0&aq=f&start=0

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!

6 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: "Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line! 2009/08/04 09:39:23 (permalink)
    That's pretty cool Dude.  You should definately haul out that 28 footer and bring it to the house!  Ha!

I would imagine you could probably get out to about 20-25ft of water from my dock.  And slay crappie at will all evening.  You should give a little demonstration on that thing during dinner, man!  Creole madness!

When you posted something about 'poling' I immedatley assumed you were talking about something else.  This was the ideal way to get to good tarpon, snook, permit and reds when I lived in the Everglades, and I know the Loosy-anna guys do it pretty much the same way for their redfish down your way.  I still have the fiberglas pushpole on my little Starcraft and use it WAY more than I ever thought I would in New York:

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: "Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line! 2009/08/04 11:32:37 (permalink)
    would imagine you could probably get out to about 20-25ft of water from my dock.  And slay crappie at will all evening.  You should give a little demonstration on that thing during dinner, man!

That would be perfect from your dock!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: "Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line! 2009/08/04 11:39:30 (permalink)
    I have a crappie rod I can't remember if its 12' or 15' and I've never used the thing.  I missed the crappie run in the spring, is there any other time they bunch up in one place?  I need to find out more about those tasty little buggers. Seems like all I ever get on my rare panny trips are gills gills and more gills.  Being shorebound most of the time makes it real tough.
    JIGS you seem to be zoned in on them pretty good, I must look in the wrong places.
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: "Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line! 2009/08/04 21:50:56 (permalink)
    Jimmy actually that first post was about poling just as you thought. It was that that made me remember what we called using a long pole for fishing too, thus the second article, lol I will bring my long poles though, get me some crappies up there.
    Yea I find they bunch up quite often even after or before spawn just in different areas and depths. In winter I find they will bunch together in thermal pockets which hold a temp and oxygen level most comfortable for them or as close as they can find. they can be hard to locate at these times but I have often had good luck under bridges in deep channels right alongside the bridge pylons. The jig cast out along side the pylon and let sink to the right depth, usualy 20 to 40ft or more I start at the deepest just off bottom then work shallower till I locate the right depth. I have sat on one pylon and caught my limit many times from one bunch. the bites are very very light, you usualy just feel a heavy sensation.
    Then theres the pre spawn when you search from those deep channels toward points espescialy the points that lead to shallower water flats with plenty of early veg or cover. I start at the deep end of point and work inward to shallower water. Usually they are not bunched in a group as much as its a series of small groups 3 here 5 just 30 ft over another 6 fish group moves up in its place and although the action is good, it is broken by short periods of time between groups.
    Then theres the spring spawn they bunch big time on flats the edge of flats along heavy weed beds, brush and tree tops fallin into the water, the float jig method is great for this, But thats when pole fishing is at its best too, puttin the tipp of that pole right in the center of a downed tree and letting the jig silently fall straight down, BOOMB baby! big dad just cant resist that.
    Then theres after spawn they tend to spread out then, but even then you can find groups at the ends of deep water docks, over deep water beds and the one I love is isolated and deep water, down falls.
    and last I follow them back to the creek channels.
    When shore bound i over view a lake or pond from map quest, the satalite view,zoom in and look for the downed trees that go into deeper water. Then i print it mark it, grab my waders and wade in to one side or another, but stay far enough back where I can just reach the top with a good cast. fish the end in the deepest part first by starting with a shallow retrieve then deeper and deeper till I iether hit fish or snag . if u start deep first and hit snag you ruin any chance you had from the start.Then circle round to ther side and do the same thing. most people get to close or walk to the log itself, the vibes from walking up on the tree can spoil your catch. so I stay out and ease in bit by bit gettin the outer fish first then the inner fish last.
    Dont know if this made sense or if it helps but it has done me well for years.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/08/04 22:06:01

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: "Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line! 2009/08/04 21:51:26 (permalink)
    WOW! lol sorry didnt mean to right a book.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: "Long pole fishing" 40ft and just 18 inches of line! 2009/10/13 22:07:14 (permalink)
    an excellent article on long pole for crappie and my best fishing technique.
    http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/crappies-panfish-fishing/RA_0408_07/index.html#cont

Jump to: