The last few days

Author
ILikePike
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/01 22:26:00 (permalink)

The last few days

well,I've been trying a few different things the last couple days. After the biblical rains wednesday, my spot by the Troy dam was not in the best of shape for any kind of shore fishing.

(no sign of hookers there either)

Thursday a buddy of mine invited me down to fish a little pond in schenectady that has some carp, koi, perch and LUNKER bass!! He showed me a couple pictures he had of some bass they had caught down there, and they were definately in the 6-8 lb range. So i set up 1 pole for carp, and the other for LUNKER bass. well..... after about 45 minutes of my nightcrawlers being stolen i had a run on my carp pole.
Reeled it in, and in the middle of about 10 lbs of weeds was this little golden feller'

I landed a MONSTER goldfish. A new species for me and not something I was expecting to catch. So I brought him home and put him in my fishtank......

Friday I was Bored so i stopped by the Lock in Waterford on the Mohawk and Jigged off the wall for about an hour and pulled in a few of these guys

So today, with the Hudson still ragin from yesterday's biblical rains, I went back to "Mud Puppy Bay". My old faithful Carp/Catfish spot on the mohawk. After about 30-45 minutes I had my first fish take a run, this thing took off full steam and pulled drag out like a demon, got him 5 feet from shore and the hook pops out. A little while later, i get a second run on my other pole. This one pulled even harder and just would not stop.....that is until he managed to swim right into the dreaded "cabela's snag".
So for the next few hours I get to sit and watch my 3 other friends pulling in carp ranging from 12-16 lbs.
As well as another one of my friends pulling in a few of these little guys

Believe it or not, he was catching these little stripers on chicken livers.......who'd'a thunk it??

Finally after a couple more hours the fish finally found my poles, I ended up with 3 carp all around 14-16 lbs.

A strange couple days during a strange wet summer........

24 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/01 23:49:02 (permalink)
    Now theres some muti-species , wtg pike !
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 05:04:45 (permalink)
    Very Nice!! I also had fun with them big crappies at lock 1 a few weeks ago!! The first one I thought was a smallies, the way it was fighting!! Just wish we could fry some!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 09:37:58 (permalink)
    At about the last hour of daylight down there, I used to catch one after another off that wall.
    Anything from rock bass, sunfish, crappie, redbreast sunfish, lg and smallmouth bass, it's awesome how they just pile up off that wall!! I'll have to make more trips down there
    I've seen plenty of people down there keeping the crappies, but I wouldn't keep any of them down there.
    The biggest crappie i've ever seen came from fishing off that wall!!
    post edited by ILikePike - 2009/08/02 09:54:29
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 10:28:50 (permalink)
    Pike:

Like my dad use to say about fish from Lake Michigan "I eat them until the glow in the dark bothers my wife when we go to bed!".

Eagle Ed
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 12:09:56 (permalink)
    LOL, Eagle.Great fishin Pike, that carp must of put a bend in the old pole for sure. 
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/08/02 12:11:35

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 12:39:26 (permalink)
    **** Pike-  thats a nice smorgasbord of river fish there.  You got em right in the canal park at the wall where they dock?  Or by the Peebles side?  LOL I never catch doodoo at that wall.  Good deal.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 13:52:15 (permalink)
    looks to me when pike wants to fish he definitely gets professional results even during extreme conditions! wtg,you know your fishing spots,just please be careful along that flow..i can only imagine how with all this wet with the drink rising to dangerous levels..the mud is super slippery along those deep swift banks..just be careful...glad seeing your having gl with those monster goldfish!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 14:25:55 (permalink)
    Right across from the building you see in the picture, there is a big sign that says "welcome to the Canal system" or something like that, right at the end of the wall in front of that sign is a sweet spot.

I see guys all the time out there, all up and down the wall catchin crappies with fathead minnows. I just use a TINY hook, a couple split shots, and little pieces of worm. I post some more pics at some point.

Jigs- Thanks, Catchin' them carp never gets old!!

backin'- luckily the spot we were fishing is pretty far off of the main current of the river, it doesn't really start movin until you get about 30 feet out or so, it's about as safe it's going to get with these crazy conditions
    post edited by ILikePike - 2009/08/02 14:30:18
    got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/02 17:58:05 (permalink)
    know that area quite well...all kinds of fish there...yeah be careful there ya might latch into a big ski.....tigers I believe..their in there also...ever ice fish it   ..me and my bud did years ago when it was frozen....12"+...lots or perch.......bigger stripers are also present at times..thanks for sharing the pictures...no working girls,must be the rain keeping them in..lol....
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/03 11:41:12 (permalink)
    Nice fish, Pike! My PB crappie came right off that wall, but further down by the launch. When I was younger, my father and I would fish down there from the wall every single night for catfish in the summer. Its interesting, there is a good bite for different fish species every month of the year in that area.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/03 12:55:17 (permalink)
    Bummer about the ****s, Dude... 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/03 20:40:30 (permalink)
    got em- never ice fished there, but i saw tons of holes drilled out there during the winter. Still haven't gotten my tiger either......yet!!!!

deadfishred- last summer i fished for catfish down there up to 3 times a week, lot of fun. I definately picked up on the monthly patterns down there too. May is an awesome month off that wall for tons of catfish.

Jimmy- I think the great flood was sent too wash away the "hot pant harlots"

well.... i'm bored so i'm going to post a bunch of pics of fish I caught down there last year.......

My buddies LUNKER crappie

Redbreasterd Sunny

Big Sunny

Nice size Rock Bass

White bass???? I'm not sure...... but he REALLY wanted my crawdad!!!!

6 lb. Sheepshead

a couple 10+ lb cats

And finally a cool little mud puppy

got em
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/03 22:25:51 (permalink)
    very nice pics, ILikePike...them sheephead/freshwater drum are a blast to catch..we get them at lock 1 on the hudson..both east and west sides,he// of a fight,they love crabs ...also lock 2...yeah people icefish it when the conditions are right,but ya gotta be careful..the last time we were there, there was over 12" of ice and when we left it was down to 6" or less,the water from the release flow,to the right of the lock entrance,I believe that is what it is called,eroded the underside of the ice making it thinner...good luck on getting a tiger in that area....tight lines..
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/03 23:13:56 (permalink)
    Awsome PIKE! hey as much as you like the carp fishing, and I can see why with those bigguns you catch, you might wanna check the "long pole post" I just put up cause it is being used by carp busters a lot now days and gettin even more popular. 40 lbs of carp on 10" of line at the end of a 30 ft pole! could get wild!

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/04 06:54:06 (permalink)
    The sheeps/drum are something i've been wanting to catch more of but haven't had the time.
    I caught 2 last year (5 lbs and 6 lbs) both on crawfish.
    At conroys in watervliet I heard someone recently pulled a 25 lber out of the hudson!!
    Think it might be time to go for some.......

Jigs, that's weird you posted that. I just saw something about those the other day.
    That would be crazy using one of those!!
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/04 07:28:07 (permalink)
    The sheeps/drum are something i've been wanting to catch more of but haven't had the time.
    I caught 2 last year (5 lbs and 6 lbs) both on crawfish.
    At conroys in watervliet I heard someone recently pulled a 25 lber out of the hudson!!
    Think it might be time to go for some.......

I have too thought about someday trying to target them in the Hudson. They are a fun fight and just as big as the Stripers i catch.
    A guy i work with goes all the time from shore in Watervliet, they pull up fish in the mid teens regularly and a few exceeding 20lbs  !!
    The run the same slider rig and gear as for Stripers but for bait the put 2 monster crayfish on the hook.

BB
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/04 10:09:03 (permalink)
    Brian and I were just talking about Sheepshead the other day.  I was wondering why I never heard or them or caught them as a kid when I fished the Mohawk religously a few times a week in the summer.  Then I read that they first started showing up around 1990, and have been growing in population (and girth!) ever since.

They look like a lot of fun!  I've caught a lot of saltwater drum (red and black) and they fight like trucks when they get good sized.  This was the second fish I landed (from my canoe) when I moved to Florida.  The first fish was a 40lb tarpon in 'downtown' Everglades City.  But this Black Drum fought even harder, probably took at least 20min to get him alongside the boat.  I was in awe!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/04 20:18:40 (permalink)
    sheephead are a blast on light tackle..we caught a few in oneida lk. over the last few years.. i remember posting here that people up there claim the fish meat tastes somewhat like lobster or similiar seafood. Anybody ever try sheephead ?

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/04 21:28:11 (permalink)
    BB- That's pretty much how i caught mine last year, a 2 oz. slide sinker and a premade striped bass snelled circle hook. They will drive you nuts sometimes though, I can't even count the times i've reeled in crayfish with their heads bit off or completely gone up to where the hook is.

Jimmy- that's an awesome looking fish, i've seen shaw gribsby catching drum in florida on bass tackle, and it looks like a lot of fun. I guess you might say that fishing for redfish in the gulf of mexico is on my "bucket list"

The more I think about it, the more I want to dedicate a few trips for some sheepshead........

backin- never tried sheepshead, i'm sure it would be worth a try if you can get it out of a fairly clean body of water
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/05 10:58:08 (permalink)

This slob was taken just last night locally

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/05 13:30:49 (permalink)
    WOW!!!! now I NEED to dedicate a few trips out for some drum
    got em
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/05 22:40:25 (permalink)
    hey bb..was that drum caught in the hudson ???
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/05 23:07:38 (permalink)
    Yes sir, north of Albany ... they get some 20+lbers now and then too !!

I would think some night fishing by the crapper plant by us would yield some nice drum and cats ????
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/08/05 23:09:43
    got em
    Avid Angler
    RE: The last few days 2009/08/05 23:21:10 (permalink)
    ya hit the nail right on the head..thats where my bud got a striper yesterday...drum,cats,yeah there there..found a dead drum in the begining of the year a little south of the "filtration plant"...it measured 36"..gotta be bigger ones in the area,or I would think anywhere in the hudson...
    Jump to: