Quick outing on the Mohawk today.

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/28 09:52:16 (permalink)

Quick outing on the Mohawk today.

So I finally was able to get my lazy****out of bed for a little fishing. What I love about the Mohawk is that you can toss the same lure in the same spot and never know what to expect on the other end of the line.

Started off catching this walleye right off the bat. Didn't take a picture of it until later in the day. 15" even. Just barely made it to the filet knife.

Next I hit this smallie in about 18fow. It's not a big guy, but he sure stirred up some action. When I got him close to the boat, there were 4 other smallies surrounding him. And one was a MONSTER. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that one, but I did try.

Next I motored over to the crappie hole. It's hit or miss here (usually miss). But I didn manage to get a couple.

And on the way in, I managed a few rock bass. Nothing to brag about, but fun nonetheless.

Thanks for reading. I'll be out of commission for the next 7 days. Working midnights kicks my****

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

15 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 10:46:50 (permalink)
    Yeah Dougie!!!

Gotta' love the Mohawk, man!   I really miss wailing on Smallies around Niskayuna...  The Rexford Bridge area should have Bronzeback piled up along the cliffs this time of year.    It's a long run from your sections downriver, but that river sure holds some nice fish!

You seem to be finding more walleye this season, huh?

I hope we have a chance to get out one of these days again...  My boat sucks this year so I am just sticking closer to home, or just taking the canoe(s) up north on weekends.  I have already dumped too much money into it for one season, with basically nothing to show for it yet.  I sure miss those 30hp though!

P.S.  Did I tell you that Finoch got married a few months ago?  I think that might be the first sign of the
           Apocolypse!  We better go fishing as often as we can before the sky starts falling!  What next?!?
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 11:41:52 (permalink)
    Nice day! I have been hitting more and more walleyes on the mohawk. Very true, you never know what you're going to get. I hit a pike 2 weeks ago in about 2 fow that I couldn't get in the net. Same hole I hit 2 smallies that were real nice. You have to love the mohawk. Planning on hitting it Friday night as well.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 11:43:11 (permalink)
    Finoch got married? Yep, the end is near. BTW, an old college buddy just got into contact with me recently. It's been 16 years since graduation. We went out for drinks the other night. And Finoch's name did come up.

I'm off next Tues, Wed, and Thurs. I know it's during the week, but let me know if you wanna turn me on to some of your old spots. There's always a seat on my boat for you.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 13:07:53 (permalink)
    Hook- Are you a nisky boy too?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 14:31:42 (permalink)
    I don't wanna' speak for HLS but...   He's a downstater from Westchester.  We only crossed paths due to this fishing problem of ours, but as time progressed we realized we went to college together and even lived in the same ski town in Colorado back in the 90s...

Funny how small the world can be sometimes!

You from Niskayuna, Hunter?

Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 15:00:57 (permalink)
    You know I am! How soon you forget of the past refrences to the Alplaus and Lishakill. . I was like 2 years ahead of you. You gave me some advice on my steering cable as well a while back. Remember now. From the pictures and all, you seem to be doing pretty well this summer. I wish that I could get a few pictures up to share, I am having some troubles with photoshop. I'll keep trying though.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 15:28:15 (permalink)
    Oh yeah...  Sorry Brother...

My short-term memory isn't what it used to be these days.  I blame it on the Powerbait my neice convinced me to buy last month in Colorado.  That stench is enough to fog even the clearest memory, man!

HLS- let's try to get out for an evening or something next week, huh? 
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 16:13:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good day out there Doug , wtg man !
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 16:21:25 (permalink)
    awesome stuff man, I do love that mohawk and haven't fished it in a couple of months. I grew up fishing the lock walls and what you said was absolutly true, you never know what you could catch.

coolest fish, my buddy got a 26" brown around canajoharie, out of our favorite pike spot, crazy river.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Duane
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 16:21:53 (permalink)
    where on the mohawk do you guys fish? where is the launch? i really want to fish that river but i dont know the area at all. 
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/28 19:59:22 (permalink)
    Nice Doug love the pics.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/29 07:20:07 (permalink)
    You can go in at Lock 7 which is right off of Rosendale Road in niskayuna. It is a pretty nice launch with parking for about 8-10 trailers. This puts you above the lock. Travelling further on the same road towards colonie, the old train station is there. I haven't been there in a few years, but you used to be able to get in there. It is shallow, muddy and usually filled with pads all around, this puts you below the lock. You also have the town of colonie launch which I think they charge like $5.00 or something. If you travel towards Schenectady, Freemans bridge road has a public launch next to the Lighthouse restaurant.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/30 18:13:56 (permalink)
    Way to hit em there Hook.  Hey if you're still going out at crack of dawn., give me a buzz on the cell some day before you go.  I get out of work at 5am, could be at the Mohawk in no time from Colonie.  I've got yours on my contact list.  
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/31 09:53:45 (permalink)
    I can only imagine what the mohawk will look like tomorrow with all of this rain. I was so looking forward to hitting it hard tomorrow morning, b ut I'm not sure it will be worth it. The last time I fished it after rains like this, SKUNKED was the word
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Quick outing on the Mohawk today. 2009/07/31 12:01:25 (permalink)
    WTG!!!! Fishie!!!!! Won't be fishing any rivers or streams around here for a week or so!! 

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: