115 galons of water

Author
Mr.Jigs
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 352
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/25 20:23:10 (permalink)

115 galons of water

Well I finally sold the last of my tropical fish and am turning a115 gallon, 6 ft aquarium into a natural fresh water aquarium this is what I had and now its empty and ready to go I will put gills, crappie a small bass maybe a catfish. see how they do. I'll post pics when they are all in.
post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/25 20:39:48

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!

20 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/25 20:32:50 (permalink)
    this is a polypterous congo bicher he was 14" and named Gobzilla.

post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/25 20:33:22

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/25 20:36:37 (permalink)
    If any one has a fresh water tank with North America fish I would appreciate any
    tips you might have. And is this to far off course for a topic? was just bored and couldnt fish today, LOL

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/25 23:38:58 (permalink)

That should be pretty cool.

Jimmy had a LM bass at one time ... not sure if he still does ??
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 06:48:02 (permalink)
    Wow!! that congo thangy is crazy looking!! looks like the kind of creature that would steal your finger is he got a hold of you.

As for freshwater aquarium fish, I'm not the best person to tell you how to keep fish alive for extended periods of time, but I have had a few pet fish that did really well for ..... well a few months anyway.....

This one was the smallest bass I have ever caught! perfect size for a fish tank.

Paulie the Smallie

This guy was my favorite, he used to come up to the glass and just stare at me

Rocky the Rock Bass

Sonny the sunfish

I had a few problems getting them to eat for awhile, maybe because I was feeding them pieces of worm.
    The still fresh memory of a hook hidden inside a worm wore off after a little while, and they eventually started eating.

I would also like a few tips if anybody has any, I did alright with these guys but I would like to do better next time

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 09:41:23 (permalink)
    Cool stuff pike !

Love the names LOL !
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 09:43:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

Cool stuff pike !

Love the names LOL !

Yeah.... I'm pretty creative
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 11:13:13 (permalink)
    lol those are cool pike, yea that congo was only 4" long when I bought him and he grew to 14" It's cool to watch him scent trail a live fish slowly following till he's with in striking range then BANG! in a flash its gone, lol I'm going to start taking an empty ice chest with me when i fish just to keep small ones like that. that bass u have is perfect size. and seeing your rock bass I want one of those too. I caught a beautiful sunny a week ago that would  have been perfect with all the color on him but had nothing to put him in. I put some gills in yesterday to get started. It's a lot of work but I think worth it. thx 
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/26 11:17:55

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 12:22:29 (permalink)
    I just kept him in my minnow bucket with a little aerator, it's a little small but it worked!!
    santaman67
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 13:00:22 (permalink)
    Pike,

When I was stationed in Japan, I caught a bass about that size while nite fishing with a Jitterbug.......unreal how aggressive Bass can be when they're hungry or aggreviated. 
    ORIGINAL: ILikePike

Wow!! that congo thangy is crazy looking!! looks like the kind of creature that would steal your finger is he got a hold of you.

As for freshwater aquarium fish, I'm not the best person to tell you how to keep fish alive for extended periods of time, but I have had a few pet fish that did really well for ..... well a few months anyway.....

This one was the smallest bass I have ever caught! perfect size for a fish tank.

Paulie the Smallie

This guy was my favorite, he used to come up to the glass and just stare at me

Rocky the Rock Bass

Sonny the sunfish

I had a few problems getting them to eat for awhile, maybe because I was feeding them pieces of worm.
    The still fresh memory of a hook hidden inside a worm wore off after a little while, and they eventually started eating.

I would also like a few tips if anybody has any, I did alright with these guys but I would like to do better next time

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 13:21:07 (permalink)
    Freshwater fish seem to hold up just FINE in a typical aquarium...  I raised my first bass (Harvy Wallbanger) in a small 20gl tank back in junior high and had him for three years before he got too big and I released him back into the little pond in Pattersonville where he was caught.  He bacame incredible trained, and would nibble on a finger if you stuck it in the tank.   He also seemed to grow quite fond of roast beef, chicken bits, and even Skittles!

I Inow have another bass (Norman), who is currently in 'foster care' over in my buddy's 150gal monster tank in Albany.  I was feeding Norman little Emerald Shiners that I would net on my shoreline with a headlamp in the evening.  It is great watching a tiny little LMB gorge himself on minnows each evening.  Usually he would take two or three at a time, with heads and tails sticking out of his mouth for an hour or so.  He is a real predator!

But as winter grew close, bait was tougher to capture so I tried to wean him away from live minnows.  I tried cichlid pellets, bread, meat...  EVERYTHING!  But he wasn't having any of it.  So I brought him to my buddie house to see if his pet bass (a gift from me) would teach lil' Norman how to eat non-live food.

Sure enough, after four days of starving, I recieved a call from my buddy telling me that Norman was all over the big Oscar food that the other bass was being fed.  Norman is still living downtown, and I might have to leave him there since he has now grown far too big for the tiny tank I had him in origionally.

My only suggestion and recommendation?  Use natural materials in the tank for 'landscaping'...  No self-respecting gamefish should be subject to a life surrounded by bubbling treasure chests and neon orange drifwood castles.

I pulled rocks from outside, and actually paddled across the lake late one night to swipe a bucket of beach sand from the town park.  Once the dust settled in the tank it looked really cool.  And the bass loved it once I put him in there.  It was fun to see him go nuts each time I walked in the room.  He was totally in tune with the fact that I was the one feeding him.  He grew fat, lazy, and now looks just like his owner.  Funny how that happens... 

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 15:08:51 (permalink)
    Cool Jimmy, looks like he was getting big!
    I agree natural materials look so much better. In the top picture I hunted down an old gnarly piece of oak from and old log, scraped of all loose materials then soaked it for 2 weeks in tub of water so any chemicals or pollutants could be removed or diluted, I learned the hard way you dont just stick any ole piece of wood in tank with out preparing it first.
    taking a aluminum flat plate I screwed it to bottom and covered with rocks to hold it down. it becomes cover and an interesting piece in the tank.
        The second pic, I moved the tank away from wall 6" and placed a 2x6 the length of tank. I can then place limbs or other background objects to give depth to the tank with out actually loosing space in the tank. I will then take a black cloth, (some use deep blue) I prefer black, and place it between the white wall and my wood objects so after I place my low soft lighting it illuminates the background just enough to see but doesn't dominate foreground objects.
    Lastly is a pic of over all tank I am still working on it and will post a finished pic when done.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 16:34:59 (permalink)
    He also seemed to grow quite fond of roast beef, chicken bits, and even Skittles!

No self-respecting gamefish should be subject to a life surrounded by bubbling treasure chests and neon orange drifwood castles.

LMAO !!!   That is some funny stuff right there.
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 18:30:48 (permalink)
    Little tip for you freshwater fish guys, I had a smallie in a tank for a few years. Insects work awesome as food. I used to buy about 30 crickets for a dollar at a local pet store and small feeder goldfish at a dollar a dozen. caught some hoppers and some stream insects, it was pretty cool to watch a smallie chasing mayfly and stonefly nymphs around the tank.

My only problem was i only had one tank and the smallie would try to eat all dozes goldfish at once. He'd try to eat one and spit a couple up. It seemed he ate every fish about 2 or 3 times.
    If you go the minnow route have a separate tank to keep the minnows in, but i never had a problem finding some insects to feed.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 22:03:43 (permalink)
    i was thinking of trying exotic species just as an experimental hobbie.. it might be interesting to see if there is a natural solution to control the spread of zebra mussels rapidly spreading our waterways. like what would you feed a bunch of zebra mussels in a fish tank? lettuce ? maybe some sea monkeys? seriously though, those things are nasty little critters seeing what damages they cause in our ecosystem. maybe some one will get lucky and find a safe means to slow their invasion.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/26 22:32:52 (permalink)
    Thats why I like this place you guys love your fish
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/27 21:05:12 (permalink)
    Yea we do, back in a minute, I need to go walk my bass.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/27 21:09:07 (permalink)
    Ohhhhh Jigs, LOL ... your gonna fit right in at the get together
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/27 21:18:03 (permalink)

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/07/28 21:26:37 (permalink)
    I love the shape of the 115 gal!  Its long and not too tall, so its really easy to get at it and clean. 

Locally populated tanks are alot of fun. the best part is feeding them fatheads.  Pretty much anything loves chasing fatheads around the tank...even bullheads and sunfish!   Little pickerel and smallmouth go absolutely berserk for live fed minnows.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: 115 galons of water 2009/08/25 23:02:11 (permalink)
    Well the Aqaurium is coming along pretty good now, I'll post some pics tomorrow. have a few gills, perch, crappie black and a white and a 3/4 pound catfish. black crappie will eat worms or shiners but the white crappie turns his nose up at the worms. The catfish is cool he cruises the bottom and if he swims close to a worm on bottom he actualy misses it if his wisker doesnt touch it, but if his wisker touches it BAM! he sucks it up quick. the action is emediat. like a trigger and its not the touch I mean his wisker can touch food he doesnt like and nothing, but when its something he does like BAM! so my thought is he doesnt just feel with them but must taste with them. anyway it was interesting to watch. 

Jump to: