Oh the BLUES!

Author
Mr.Jigs
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 352
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/21 22:11:30 (permalink)

Oh the BLUES!

Well I took a little break from the crappies, Our boss flipped the bill for a party boat for the whole crew, 13 of us so I know it wasnt cheap. but it was a little early for blues the big ones any way. we headed out on the klondike9 (can I post the name here?) anyway although we didnt catch any big ones we ended up catchin 76 fun ones, almost filled a barrel. good eatin size. heres the crew Mr. jigs is the old fart first on left and boss carmine first on right. had a great time
post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/21 22:13:05

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!

20 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/21 22:14:51 (permalink)
    fair start

post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/21 22:15:29

Attachment(s)

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/21 22:18:59 (permalink)
    By end of day, I didnt get the biggest fish this year, but caught the most,
    we all had a great time with a great day, nice change for a while too.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/21 22:19:53

Attachment(s)

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/21 22:22:47 (permalink)
    And our had some great food and lots o beer. Me and Russel, our indian connection, dam corn eatin beer drinkin %#^$##^@^ I didnt get one ear of corn, he had like 6 ^&##(#@(## corn eatin &*$^@#  lol and cant forget Ronald in the back great guy and worker.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/21 22:26:59

Attachment(s)

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/22 16:20:27 (permalink)
    Nice going Jigs  ... the only blues i ever caught were Labatts !!
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/07/22 16:21:14
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 05:44:27 (permalink)
    Wheres that  Jigs- in Cape Cod?   I'm getting an itch to do some cold water deep sea fishin.
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 07:37:19 (permalink)
    Nice Mr. Jigs! I just got back from Maine. No Stipers!!!!!! Fished everyday. Went out on a charter and slammed the Pollock and Cod though.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 11:19:42 (permalink)
    Thats awesome, Jigs!!!

Bluefish are such badasses...  I love those things!

They seem to take a backseat to Stripers for most folks (probably due to the pecking order on the 'good to eat' scale) but pound-for-pound, the fighting comparisons between them are not even close!  Bluefish are INSANE!!!

For the past three years I have spent Columbus Day weekend (October) down at my best friend's house on the Jersey Shore.  We used to chase Stripers for the 'Fall Blitz' but last year grew tired of the slow bite and eneded up trolling the inlet for Blues.  We used to do it back in Rhode Island as kids, and we had forgotten what a BLAST those things are!  They try to pull your arms right off!!!

Honestly, we both had VERY sore arms by the end of Day One.  Constant battles with some nice ones.  Thos little bluefish are tough and strong- but the bigger bruisers are some real heavyweights in the ring!  I am already excited for this years trip now, thanks to those photos of yours!

Here are some of last years fish...  We even made a movie too...  I think it is posted somewhere on here.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 11:29:23 (permalink)
    Why didn't you just lip him??? Haha. I made that mistake once. And only once.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 12:04:51 (permalink)
    It's funny you mention that, Cowboy...  As a kid I used to spend many weeks each summer in Rhode Island and once got into a huge school of hungry Bluefish while sailing around Narangansett Bay. 

I got one into my little boat and the mutha' ATTACKED me!  Seriously, it was no coincidence...  The fish was ****ED!  He flopped all over and snapped his jaws, finally getting enough 'air' off the deck to flop right up and bite my middle finger!  It bled all day, hurt like hell, and left a scar that is still there to this day.

Man, those teeth are WICKED on those dudes! 

I have cuahgt barracuda that were not nearly as scary as big blues!
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 12:32:03 (permalink)
    I've caught some really big ones near Block Island. Usually, we would catch them by accident when we were fishing for stripers. We wouldn't use leaders for the stripers, so most of the time the blues would bite us off, but sometimes if hooked in the corner of the mouth or on the snout, we would get them in. They are MEAN!

Like I said, I tried to lip a small one when I was a kid and I still have a scar on my thumb to prove it.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 13:52:09 (permalink)
    Worse Situation That Made Me a Lot Smarter:

I was wading the bay on Cape Cod and could see the birds feeding on bait fish.  The blues then came in to feed on the bait fish, but I just could not reach them with my surf casting rod.
    All of the sudden two guys came flying over in their clam boat to pick me up.  The one asked me what I thought would happen to my legs while wading in my bathing suit if the school of blues came toward me.  Never gave it a second thought until they mentioned it and said the blues would chew my legs up just like they were bait fish.  I now stay on shore when I see the blues feeding.

Eagle Ed
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/23 21:38:16 (permalink)
    Well this was in Long island sound between New Rochelle and Bridgeport Con, The big Blues haven't come in yet these where smaller snappers but plenty of them and fast action. The bigger blues should start riding in more in the next few weeks, Septembers always been my favorite time for them. Those are some great ones Jimmy wow they look heavy too. heres mine from same party boat last sept. that was when I caught the money fish $200.00 and last fish of the day.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/23 21:41:53

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 09:43:05 (permalink)
    Anyone ever figure out how to post a video uploaded to Photobucket?

I've seen it done other places but never could make it work here. 

I bet SOMEONE knows how! 

post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/07/28 09:45:36
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 10:57:46 (permalink)
    Looks like it won't take video...  Sorry!
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/07/28 11:03:45
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 14:40:04 (permalink)
    Jimmy, You can't really post videos uploaded to photobucket that I know of.  You link to them, kinda like how you post a pic, copy the link from the pulldown menu and paste it into the post.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 14:48:18 (permalink)
    Yeah- I figured...  On some other sites I have seen the videos posted to look like photos (only with the fake movie film edges to show it is a video) but it doesn't look like I can do that here.

I found a video from last Fall's "Bluefish Bloodbath" down in Jersey and thought I would post it for those who haven't seen it.  Replete with great punchlines and a killer soundtrack from Jerry, Widespread Panic and the Samples.

Photobucket shortened it a bit (must exceed their limits) but maybe I can figure something out!

That IS what work time is for, right?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 15:44:09 (permalink)
    Here is the best I could manage so far...

My best friend and I get together each Octobr at his house on Long Beach Island to chase some fish and give him a chance to grab some R&R away from the wife and baby responsibilities he's got these days.  We usually start the weekend chasing Stripers, but once the beer is flowing we tend to forget the Stripers and just hammer on Bluefish when we find 'em!

The image is a little grainy, and I apologize in advance for any profanity that slipped through the editing process. 

We had a few cocktails out there that weekend... 

But man did we have a good time!

Here it is:    http://vimeo.com/5805873
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2009/07/28 15:46:43

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 18:37:46 (permalink)
    That was friggin awesome!!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 19:23:22 (permalink)
    I say I admire you guys who fish the salt. For me I am afraid going in the salt water, seriously. I do it but it scares the holy be-jeasus out of me and I'm always feeling freaky. After watching Jaws, that put a ton of fear going into salt water where were are not the dominate species. Silly huh. 3 years ago while swimming at assateague island this dude caught a 5' shark off the beach in the same water we were swimming, havent been back to the salt since and no desire too.
    But heck, that leaves more room for you old salts !

Great Fish Guys !!!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oh the BLUES! 2009/07/28 19:48:23 (permalink)
    ARRRGH! that it does, me harty! that it does! 10 yrs ago I took a 14 ft aluminum john boat out into the gulf with my cousin with a small outboard a 7.5 or somethin like that. we started off fishin for bonnet heads (baby hammer heads)
    they ranged from 2 to 3 ft. we would catch a bunch of croakers (silver lookin fish) cut them up and use them for the shark bait. we where doin great till we started chummin. It wasn't long till that 14ft john boat felt about 2ft long. We where so far out at times we would loose sight of the shore line. and the sharks where getting bigger and bigger we started catching them about two ft long and right on the bottom after chummin we where getting hits about 4 ft deep and catchin different kinds of sharks some as big as 4ft had a hell of a time with them. the next thing you know they just quit, nothin! not even a nibble, when my cousin, Tony said oh sh..! turning to look where he was I saw about 4 or 5 shark fins coming at us, and watched amazed as 4 sharks swam just inches under the water beside us the smallest about 8ft long. I still wasnt worried, thinkin man what a fight that would be! when they started circling the boat and the boat would even lurch to one side or another as they would rub against it. It was when a shark passed by and looked right at me and his head was just passing the front of the boat while his tail was just passing the end of the boat that I turned to my cousin and yelled "CRANK THE MOTOR and head for shore!!!! this fishin trip is over" lol but it was exiting thinking back now any way. Arrrgh! now thar be a tale of the sea, me friends! tho it be true, it be true.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/28 19:52:28

Jump to: