Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/19 20:58:32 (permalink)

The in-laws camp

Hey Y'all,
   My mother in-law gave me the "opportunity" to go up to her camp near the Black River for a little "R&R". "Oh, while you're there, can you paint the exterior?" So I told her I would go up there for a day to look at the job at hand, but wouldn't get started until I saw what I was up against. Well, it is a cozy little camp, and the inside is in very nice condition. The exterior was in pretty rough shape, and I talked her into me putting up vinyl siding for her instead. Here are some pics of camp.

A mount from 1940, give or take a few years.

And a cool picture from about the same time.

So after my 3 hour trek up there, and running into a huge farm of these:

I was able to get in a few hours of fishing on the Black River. Last time I was up there, the action was non-stop. Walleye, pickerel, smallies, perch, you name it, I caught it. This time was quite a bit slower, and I didn't have much time. Here are the piddly results.

A bunch of other smaller perch and rockies were caught. Then I settled in for the obligitory campfire with a sixer of my favorite beer.

The next morning I met a friendly guy at the launch who was going out trolling for walleye. He invited me to troll side by side with him. So I did that for a few hours, with only 3 walleyes caught between us. Two from him, and none were over 18", and neither of us had a camera on board.

Hopefully, after doing all this work for my in-laws, I'll have unlimited access to this little camp on Lake Pleasant, (not the big Pleasant Lake), and I can drag some of you guys up there. Thanks for reading.
post edited by HookLineSinker - 2009/07/20 12:24:48

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

9 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/19 21:04:47 (permalink)
    Looks like a nice place there Doug, full of some history too. Nice fish and all the pics too, thanks for sharing.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/19 22:33:19 (permalink)
    Hook:  Is their place right on the river?  Where abouts?  My in-laws have a place on Pleasant Lake outside Carthage.  A couple of your pics almost look like they might be from that lake.  I grew up in Carthage and back in my youth, the Black River was very polluted but they have cleaned it up a lot now.  My brother & a friend used to fish behind the Carthage Machine Shop and catch fish that they would sell to a guy that would buy them from them.  I'll be going back there in August for a high school reunion.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/19 23:58:12 (permalink)
    Nice looking place Doug-  great pics.  I like the big ol behemoth bass mount.  Same inlaws as on BL?  Man why didnt I marry a chick with camps??  Nah I love the old gal.
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/20 05:24:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: EagleCrg

Hook:  Is their place right on the river?  Where abouts?  My in-laws have a place on Pleasant Lake outside Carthage.  A couple of your pics almost look like they might be from that lake.  I grew up in Carthage and back in my youth, the Black River was very polluted but they have cleaned it up a lot now.  My brother & a friend used to fish behind the Carthage Machine Shop and catch fish that they would sell to a guy that would buy them from them.  I'll be going back there in August for a high school reunion.

What year did u graduate?.....i went to college in Canton with a couple kids from Carthage...they graduated high school in 1981.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/20 06:12:31 (permalink)
    Nice little cottage getaway,looks like it might be good hunting as well!
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/20 12:24:28 (permalink)
    EagleCrg, the place is on Pleasant Lake (or Lake Pleasant), just outside of Carthage. I'm assuming it's the same lake you're talking about. 

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/20 17:10:40 (permalink)
    Hook:  Did you fish Pleasant Lake?  Lots of bass, pike, & panfish in there.  My in-laws place is on the opposite end of the lake from where yours are located.  I know the Roggies and Garretts at that end of the lake.
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/21 21:35:58 (permalink)
    Nice job on the house hook! That's a cool pick of an oooold mount and the hunting pic too. I am a fan of old stuff like that. thnks for sharing.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: The in-laws camp 2009/07/26 11:32:05 (permalink)
    Nice spot. I'd take perch that size any day.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Jump to: