bought some fishing line

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/17 19:22:29 (permalink)

bought some fishing line

Okay, it was time to stock up on some new line so i ordered online 6lb. sufix moss braid , figure i'll give it a try over the fireline i been acustom using ever since they came out with the stuff. I also bought sufix 8lb. mono for the spin and also a spool of p-line 8lb flouro i'll use as leader material. Anyone care to share their own personal preferences for fishing lines?

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

15 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/17 19:38:36 (permalink)
    Love the Suffix Mono, good stuff. Been wanting to try thier braid but i am very happy with Stren Superbraid.

For heavy mono (i use 30lb for Stripers) i am SOOO sold on Gama ... i have been snagged while drifting in the river on my buddies 21' big boat , it was like we dropped anchor, 30lb mono turned the boat right around and stopped us , very strong stuff.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/17 20:03:54 (permalink)
    yes brian, i have been impressed with sufix 6lb. went through a 300 yd spool over a period of two seasons using the red labeled box low visibility green mono for spinning outfit. . I found it to be reliable both strenght abrasion least memory and it doesn't dry out like cheap monos.. i am always careful to keep my line out of the UV rays as much as possible as with storing any mono. The sufix braid i bought ..i heard it is rated highend among all the braids.. hate spiderwire stealth.. so i'll see how this braid does in comparison.. as i mentioned in previous posts..i'm a big fan of fireline which is a fusion line.. i will need a few months to give it my personal rating. ps .. forgot to mention ,i heard stren braid is getting high ratings too. cheers!
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/07/17 20:06:12

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/26 21:37:36 (permalink)
    Brian, sufix is everything it says it is,,i am using both 6lb and the 8lb elite on my spinning reels for live lining and very pleased with thier performance.. i ordered another 4lb for the smaller stream reel i plan to use later in fall. I like mono for live bait and like using fusion or super braids for trolling or jigging lures. I trust the experienced who live line bait fish especially sawbellies using any braid found it is not a good idea.

santaman67
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/27 22:03:29 (permalink)
    Never Sink Jimmi and Real Force turned me on to a braided line last year called Power Pro.  Walmart sells it, but it's not cheap!  I originally bought it to yank lunker LMB out of the weeds/pads, but now I use it on all my rods.  I use the 15lb version, which is about the size of a 6lb mono.  I'm happy with it and will probably never use mono again, especially for fishing the thick stuff which is by far my favorite!!

It works fine for spinner baits, cranks baits, even plastics, but there is no stretch, so it takes some getting used to.

Paul

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/27 22:07:47 (permalink)
    I hear ya Santa , and you can always tie a length of mono or fluro leader on in the super clear water places , plus it gives you a little bit of stretch.
    My buddy got me using that method on the big res with the smallies. Works good.  
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/28 08:56:30 (permalink)
    yeah santa, i bet that is good stuff too.. jimmy already mentioned it here being a top choice especially for big game fishing such as pike musky and hog size bass in heavy thick cover.. i would definitely try power pro but I always went with fireline and the real light stuff being that i fish mostly with the ultra light gear.. also, all these superlines last for yrs.. i like spooning with small lures and crappie sized jigs.. i figured i try the sufix because I heard it is rated silky smooth over other braids.. i do not like spiderwire stealth as i had bad tangles too many times trolling using small spin gear. if i find problems with sufix braid, i'll post my review here..btw, sufix got a rebate going on these days so i took advantage the 6 bucks rebate with purchase of any 2 spools elite mono 330yds. so i went with 4lb and 8 lb and also 6 rebate for any single 150 yd spool of braid so i went with the 6lb moss braid .. one day i'll try that power pro 15lb test ..maybe get some for my small garcia 500 ambasses i use for deep trolling. but i have good firelines on them both now. one thing is certain .. superlines are the best when using lures but i rather use mono for live bait fish fishing.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/28 20:10:40 (permalink)
    Brian you like the thick stuff, do they "Pole" up here? like they do in the brush and heavy weeds down south.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/28 21:54:52 (permalink)
    Yeah- I brought my pushpole up from my days in the Everglades...  Thats also where I bought my little Starcraft.

Believe it or not, I use it quite a bit in the shallow weedbeds and even just getting away from the boat ramp, etc.  It is a really useful tool, I am surprised more guys up here don't use them bass fishing.

When I finally get myself a jackplate and hydraulic trim/tilt I plan on installing a full-blown poling platform above the outboard on the stern.   I bet that would turn some heads in Upstate NY, huh?
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/28 22:52:36 (permalink)
    Cool Jimmy, yea you get in the heavy stuff it makes it easier and quieter as well as great for sneeeakin up on mister bass. I also use a crappie pole when huntin bigger crappies in thick tree tops or holes in the weed beds it's a 16ft telescopic fiberglass pole with just one eye at the tip the last 3ft is very very limber and with just 14" inches of line off the end i can slip it into those small hard to reach holes eas the jig in the water like a grecian bathing girl takin a bath and jiggle it around some and bam! sometimes I've even taken a good bass that way to. but cant realy do it with out the long pole for gettin in there. LOL It's somethin to see a 5 lb'r on the end of 10 or 12 inches of line with half your pole zipping through the water and pads! as for crappie it's great for jiggin around docks cause you can drop it right at the edge or even under it to pull them out.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/28 22:54:03

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/29 09:34:47 (permalink)
    Had a little time on my hands this morning, so I figured I would throw on here the line on my set-ups.

Fishing Line, what I currently use. (XL,XT = Trilene)

here is my current fishing line set ups for the rods I regularly use.

spinning:

UL trout rod - 4'6" - 4lb green XL

UL panfish rod 5'6" - 4lb vanish transition

UL trout rod 7'6" - 4lb vanish transition

light walleye rod 7'6" - 6lb fireline white

light general spinning 7'6" - 6lb green XL

medium trout spinning 7'6" - 6lb vanish transition

Medium walleye rod 7' - 8lb fireline white

medium smallmouth rd 7' -8lb green XT

MH largemouth/striper spinning 7'6" - 10lb fireline white

MH general purpose - 6'6" - 10lb berkley big game green

Heavy Largemouth/Striper - 14lb fireline white

Heavy Catfish/Striper bait rod 7'6" - 20lb big game green

Casting:

Medium plastic worm/crankbait rod 7' - 15lb McCoy mean green

Medium spinnerbait - 6'6" - 15lb berkley big game green

MH dropshot/swimbait - 7' - 35lb power pro green

MH flipping rod 7' - 50lb power pro green

MH spinner bait 7' - 20lb big game green

MH general purpose 7' - 20lb big game green

Heavy Frog rod 7'6" - 65lb power pro

Striper rods for live herring 7' - 20lb big game

Catfish rods 9' - 20lb big game

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/29 10:43:05 (permalink)
    Man you do have a lot of time at work these days LOL !!

Heavy Frog rod 7'6" - 65lb power pro

I love it !
    GO BIG OR STAY HOME !
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/29 10:44:56 (permalink)
    Here is what my wife would say "you only have 2 arms, why so many rods" ?   
    She says we are like woman and thier shoes !
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/29 12:20:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

Here is what my wife would say "you only have 2 arms, why so many rods" ?   
    She says we are like woman and thier shoes !

ya know, that is a great comparison. Gotta have a rod for every application, right? My only problem is having to limit how many i bring at one time...especially in the rowboat
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/07/31 09:26:29 (permalink)
    I too am obsessed with buying shoes

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: bought some fishing line 2009/08/01 00:05:59 (permalink)
    Hey who wants to stop and tie on a lure? I try and keep two for the crappies and 3 for the bass Bottom lure(jig or worm) middle to surface (shallow crank or spinner bait) and top water. I bought a flueger purist bait cast today and a new rod just for JJ II never used a flueger before any one know how they are? After three weeks of workin 7 days a week and NO fishin I will find out sat morning cause I am headed to the lake, WOOOT!

Jump to: