Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mr.Jigs
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 352
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/14 20:41:38 (permalink)

Jimmy Jam 2 ?

Hey is Jimmy Jam still on? and what is the date again?
Just wanna make sure I told my boss right I sure aint missin this.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!

44 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/14 21:37:42 (permalink)
    It was travers weekend last year, pretty sure it's the same this year, like last week of August.
    But i don't want to speak for Jimmy.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/15 09:46:23 (permalink)
    Gennel'men...

"Jimmy Jam II" is set for Travers Stakes Weekend (its a Saratoga thing, for you new-to-the-area guys) and will be held on August 28-30, 2009.

Like last year, guys ar welcome to arrive on Friday afternoon and get in a little 'pre-fish' and some time around the campfire before Saturday's tournament.  We seemed to do pretty well with space for parking and cmaping last year, and I am hoping that this year is the same.  Trailers are the toughest issue due to parking, but we can fit a few I am sure.

The tourney will begin on Saturday morning and probably go until dinnertime, with the usual obligatory "pause" for some lunch on the shoreline.  I assume we'll have the usual spread like last year with Burgers, Hot Dogs, and some of Perch Inc's now-famous fish fry!  We'll get a list going of food, etc. in the coming weeks.

Space in the house is limited as many of you know.  It's a little place, but the upper backyard holds several tents and has a nice view of the water.  Many guys just pimped out their pickups with mattresses last year and seemed to do well enough.  We all know where Reel Force is sleeping, he claimed that boatramp spot for '09 about ten seconds after leaving the '08 event.  And Lord knows the guy deserves it, so it is his...

Any questions, just ask!  Looking forward to getting 'the band back together' and seeing some new faces too!

Six weeks to go, guys!  Its never too soon to start wishing for perfect weather!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/15 12:22:07 (permalink)

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/15 13:18:28 (permalink)
    Yeah Brian...  Your post pretty much sums it right up... 

This year's throwdown might even be a little more festive now that I have a new Harmon-Kardon amplifier to push those Cerwin Vegas out on the lawn.  I hope you boys like the Allman Brothers this summer!  Ha!

My boat is still running like shizzle (I've just about swapped out all the parts I can!) but hope she is running full bore by this time next month so I can speed around and weight those pigs!

(I might just anchor next to Bassin' Biran and save myself a lot of running around, ha!)
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/15 13:35:50 (permalink)
    We should do something different ... best Eye or Crappie this year ? It's all good with me.

But you can still take a pic of my slob bass i'm going to find !

I'm sure we work something good out ,catching fish is just a bonus when fishing anyway , right !!!!

I'm ready to go now LOL
    I have a few good food ideas

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/15 18:24:53 (permalink)
    Dont change the bassin part Brian I am lookin forward to goin against the mighty Bassin man Brian! A real challenge I look forward too. And as they said I think your post sums it up. WOOOOT! can't wait.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/15 19:45:09 (permalink)

so this is it the official Jimmy Jam II thread now that the man of the house and our gracious host has spoken.
    As most know last year was a blast and this year will be nothing short of jet planes riding shotgun in the sky, turning into butterflies. I have been compiling a huge list of music that will put a smile on everyone’s face. You know, more cow bell !!! I will for sure be doing 1/2 s of Saranac , screw all those cans. I like Pale Ale & Black Forest sound ok ? I think we can start a bring, need & want list in a few weeks but last year all you folks did awesome with the essentials, Perch is a pro.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/16 07:30:51 (permalink)
    RJ....PALE ALE is my vote........i love hoppy beer!!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/16 12:15:41 (permalink)
    Sorry guys, Travers no good for me. In my business it is a must work day here in Saratoga. Again, I miss out on all the fun. Maybe catch you guys for some hard water fun or later in the fall.  I'll definitely be heading to the Salmon River a couple times.
                 Tight Lines Mates, Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/16 12:49:57 (permalink)
    Saranac Pale Ale is among my Top 5's, and my favorite beer east of the Mississippi...  I'd be down with pitching in for something like that with you and Ship, no problem...

Only trouble with kegs for all of us (I considered it last year), is the variety of beverages we like.  "You know who" is going to fire back the Budweisers, Double-B's is going to whack the Heinekens, Perch might opt for the Yenglings, and Yank might show up with some kind of exotic ales from Sheboygan or something...

Plus, I made a killing returning the empty cans and bottles last summer (just kidding, it was only a few bucks)...

But party ain't a party withouth a keg of some sort- so let the Saranac flow all weekend!

I am hoping most guys will at least spend Saturday night again.  I am sure more than a few might appear at 5:30pm on Friday...  A few stuck around till dark on Sunday!  Its nice to have an event to plan it around, thus, the Travers Weekend.  It is the one weekend of the track season when most of us have no interest in being in 'Toga, and the lake was virtually EMPTY (except for our flotilla) last year for that weekend, even with the INSANELY AWESOME weather.

I can't help but think this year is going to be bigger and badder...  I'd like to see at least a 4lb fish this year!

I forgot what won it in '08?  3lb 2oz?  Anyone lose any bigger fish?  I know some pigs were SEEN?

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/16 17:26:04 (permalink)
    My august has a week of camping in the dacks, a few nights in the catskills, 2 phish concerts and now possibly jimmy jam, sounds like a great month.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/16 22:29:07 (permalink)
    Well I am off for four days, I plan on being there friday at daylight on some lake up there fishin, then get to the J Jam when you start it, stay till its done then monday fish up there somewhere till about 2:00 pm then head home. LOL get all I can while I'm up there with you guys. I dont have a trailer will load the 14 ft'er up in back of truck along with the trolling motor and a sleepin bag and bring a some fillets along with these I caught this afternoon, beer snacks and so on and show up for work tuesday dead headed and tired and tic my boss off. LOL 
    Oh! by the way if I bring my battery charger, is there somewhere we can recharge our batt?

post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/16 22:36:10

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/17 16:08:28 (permalink)
    Jimmy Jam II is for sure to be the Apocalypse as far as music is concerned. I am getting in more then I can process. Some way killer live Doors music has been sending me over the edge. Throw in Eskimo Blue Day from the Airplane , Caution Don't Step On the Tracks > Cosmic Charlie from GD ... Look out JJII we may have to get the day-glow paint out of the closet. Warn the neighbors...

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/17 16:12:57 (permalink)
    i thought day glow paint was the norm for this thing

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/17 17:29:15 (permalink)
    "To get back to the warning that I received. You may take it with however many grains of salt that you wish. That the brown acid that is circulating around us isn't too good. It is suggested that you stay away from that. Of course it's your own trip. So be my guest, but please be advised that there is a warning on that one, ok?"

-Chip Monck (Stage Announcer):  Bethel, NY 1969
                                                                                                        Woodstock Music and Arts Festival
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/17 19:44:52 (permalink)
    If you guys get a 1/2 i will gladly pitch in $$$ (is Pale Ale real dark and do you drink it cold) ?
    Not a huge fan of the warm beers.  Otherwise i'll just grab a case of green cans

Hey Mr Jigs - i think your new name should be mrjigslotsofnicecrappiesking , you know your crappies man  

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/17 19:56:21 (permalink)
    I plan on being there very early Saturday, spending the night and take off some time Sunday late morning.

Jimmy keep me updated on the wood situation as we get closer to the weekend, i can easily drop a load Thursday or Friday during my lunch.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/17 20:08:19 (permalink)
    Pale ale is not dark (hense the name) it is however very heavy in hops and has a slight bitter but no skunky taste, you will know it if your not used to it. You drink it cold, very cold. I love dark stouts but this is not one.
    I'm doing the 1/2 so anyone unsure or wants bring their favorites or just drink from the fountain. I'm sure no beer will spoil.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/07/17 20:15:01

got em
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/20 23:37:05 (permalink)
    yeah a half of sarnac of pale ..oh yeah tuna..just finished a 12er of sammies..variety pack.....yeah bb drink it cold..whatever tuna brings..or everyone chips in on...hope to be there...fishin,music and drinkin...good times will be had by all....
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/21 07:27:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Pale ale is not dark (hense the name) it is however very heavy in hops and has a slight bitter but no skunky taste, you will know it if your not used to it. You drink it cold, very cold. I love dark stouts but this is not one.
    I'm doing the 1/2 so anyone unsure or wants bring their favorites or just drink from the fountain. I'm sure no beer will spoil.

I love Pale Ale's in general....but a fresh keg of Saranac is hard to beat.......did you guys knows hops are in the cannabis family?....i've heard it was possible to cross breed them......imagine that beer!!
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/21 13:47:48 (permalink)
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 19:21:49 (permalink)
    Five weeks and counting, Fellas!

The Crappie bit has been HOT from my dock all week long around here.  The schools of big 14" pigs never seemed to really pile in this Spring like they did last year, but for the past three days there has been a huge school of 10-12" Crappie staged right on the drop off the weedbeds in the yard.  I am hoping they stick around for awhile.

Once they school up around here all summer, it is REALLY hit or miss.  When you find them you can catch them at will with a 1/32oz tiny grub jig, or even beadhead nymphs.  But most of the time they are a mystery and seem to just vanish!  For a 110 acre lake, it seems hard to fathom that they can be so tough to find!

Bass action is spotty, but existant.  Plenty of little Smallies 10-14", and a few decent Largies...  I did lose a prety nice fish next to my canoe last night after dark.  RJ's "Ribbit" was the ticket...  I would assume that fish was pushing 4lbs or so...  The surface strike in the dark was L-O-U-D!!!  Thanks Tuna!!!

Now to answer some questions:

1)  Yeah, there will be power available to everyone for battery chargers, etc. all weekend.  We'll probably run two cords right down to the water like last year- for the tunes and the deep fryer(s).  Bring along your charger and I can set you up with outlets on the front  patio or inside.  No worries there.

2)  I suppose we should start figuring out what kind of tourney we're going to pull off this year too.  Last year was easy and basic.  A $10 "Lunker Pool" for the heaviest overall fish.  I liked that idea because a nice Walleye could win it- although no one got an 'eye last summer.  That was kind of odd, actually.

We can do anything you guys wish this summer.  My only concern is the current state of my outboard.  It has been really tempermental this summer and the problem appears to be reeds or my spark advance.  Everything else has already been swapped or replaced off my old Evinrude 30hp (the parts are identical to my newer Johnson)

The reason it makes me nervous is that the Starcraft was the 'weigh-in' boat last year and could scoot out to weight fish as soon as they were called in.  It was really nice, since most guys don't have baitwells on their little boats, and those trolling motors aren't exactly FAST getting from one side to another.  I am hoping I can get the motor dialed-in finally, but it's still a bit of a mystery.  I have been working on it since APRIL!!!

Not sure what our alternatives are, but of course we will come up with something!

Let's use this as the "official" thread for the bash, and we can brainstorm any ideas you dudes wish to consider.

We can get a food list going soon, but if it is anything like last year I don't think food will be much of an issue. So long as everyone brings a cooler for their stuff we're golden. 

By the way, anyone shoot any geese lately?  It just wouldn't be the same without Canada Goose jerky, men!

Fire away if you have any questions, concerns or ideas.  I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 19:59:39 (permalink)
    how about this idea : Jimmy ran his boat around all last year to weigh and check all (well some) fish. Lets say Jimmy, this year you fish with us !!!
    We all know how laid back the tourny was, it was great !!!
    As for determining a winner lets go by length..  A sewing tape is cheap, under $1.00 . I think everyone will be paired up and if not I'm cool with any recorded length.  Big thing will be to remember to write down the length, you know short term memory loss thing...

gives all species and fishers an even shake, a 14" crappie !!! yea baby !!  How about a 30" carp  !!!

So what say you all ?

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 20:07:56 (permalink)
    I'm open for anything ... and i totally agree Jimmy should be out there fishing with us too.
    I don't want to fish solo this year.  

The length thing works too, a nice Eye could take that.

BB 
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/07/23 20:10:26
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 20:43:44 (permalink)
    Last year I sat out due to suspicion of performance-enhancing drugs, but was later cleared of all charges.

Plus, I didn't even know any of you guys then and I was worried about kicking your asses up and down the lake as I bombed out a tiny black jig and reeled in giant green or bronze bass.  It's always been more of a party than a tournament, but obviously fishing is the focus all day long.  But having a dozen tiny boats out there, and no threat of bothering anyone or being bothered by The Man, we did pack away some beverages that weekend!

As for boating around last year on my boat, I probably had the best time of anyone there!  I hung lakeside, had a hottie paddle me around for an hour or so, rocked tunes, and made sure the ice cubes in my drink never went dry.  Plus, I am pretty sure I played every song of the two Allman Bros shows I saw the week before, thanks to Tuna.  Sho' nuff, The Brothers are back at Bethel and SPAC this summer in the weeks leading up to the bash.

In truth, it was AWESOME cuising around and getting to weigh/photograph everyone's fish. 

I am pretty sure Matty is coming this year too (that big, tall, long-haired diesel mechanic I went to high school with) and he was talking about putting his 18ft Islander-Style cruiser in the middle of the lake as a beer repository and weigh station.  Maybe that would alleviate a lot of potential time-wasting for the littleboat guys.

Or maybe you guys will let me be a "guest angler" with a new boat each hour- and that boat could be the wiegh-in/measurement boat for that particular hour?  I dunno- I don't want to over complicate anything or confuse anyone.  But it would be pretty fun.  For me, at least.  I do happen to know a thing or two about this little puddle and will help all I can.  Anyway, half the fun for me last year was drinking beer and taking pictures all day.

And what about IceFishingSteve?  Where the heck is he?  Anyone hear from him or give him a call? 

I'd love to see that guy back at the house.  He's a good man, and paid his dues on the hardwater.  I can only imagine that he or Barry are going to land the lunker in '09.  It's all about Karma, man...  Far out...

Length is cool.  Weight is cool.  Darkest Color.  Most Spots.  Whatever.

I am hoping ILikePike can make it too- he's a Nisky guy from a year below me but I've never met him.  I hope he doesn't remember me from high school, ha!  But if he busts out those doughballs and Eurpoean pin floats on these carp, we are all going to get crushed.  But at least we get to throw him in the lake after, right?

It's great we've got this kind of time to work this all out, get wound up, and look forward to getting everyone together for at least a day, if not a weekend!  Plus, now that we've got one of these summer benders under our belt, we all know what to expect. 

Last year it began as a yard full of perfect strangers and ended as a full blown fishing club.

What a long, strange trip it's been guys...  Can't wait to do it again!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 21:05:50 (permalink)
    Also- lest you forget, there ARE some nice fish in this lake... 

I sure as heck wouldn't put it up against Lunkerville or others, but here is a little recap and bass porn from Snyders from the past year.  Staring some familiar faces you guys will recognize.

Ship Of Fools got a nice one his first time out:

ReelForce has taken a smallie or two also!

They like a deer hair popper on a 7wt after dark, just so you know:

Scott got some last summer:

Chug's could have been a winner.  I think he brought his own crawfish bait and got him that way?

And ReelForce again, in one of my all-time favorite smallmouth shots entitled "Bronzeback Bandit":

And lastly, you might get lucky and find one of the random tiger-striped Smallies that I have caught that have a KILLER coloration pattern like these guys.  I swear, for some reason the ones that look like this fight even harder?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 21:13:52 (permalink)
    Jimmy well said and I totally agree where you are coming from.
    Do you need any help on the shore (LOL) Just kidding . You threw one hell of a great party and if it was 1/2 as good for you as was for us then what more could we ask.
    icefishinsteve : Yea where the heck is he ? I hope he didn't melt away once the temps rose above 32degs. . Maybe he should change his name to frosty ? But I'm sure boys and girls (?) he'll be back again someday. If you are out there bro, Please Join us !!!!

Jimmy Jam II   Alert the neighbors, it's a about to happen

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 21:16:51 (permalink)
    Awsome pics, thanks for those!Hotdang bring it on!!!! You could also do the "Grand Slam Tournament" which could be like, Keeper bass, gill, crappie, walleye, pick, carp, and catfish. The one who fills the most wins! any ties go to overall weight or overall length of fish caught. Fish must be legal keeper size at minumum and measured.  But I am up for anything. jus hand me a beer and point my dumb ars toward the water. lol
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/07/23 21:21:30

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Jimmy Jam 2 ? 2009/07/23 21:27:47 (permalink)
    Jigs:
    we will figure something out and it is really wide open . The easier the better seems to work best once the party gets started. Last year all fish except pannies were released (by choice). Pannies were some awesome great eats thanks to chef Perch Inc. and his wonderful skills.

It will be a great weekend !!!! and you know what,  someone will leave (Altho I think they may stay over night this year  )  with some decent pocket change.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: