question about casting

Author
cooljauman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1633
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/11 11:30:12 (permalink)

question about casting

I have been fishing a favorite spot lately where I am up to my waist in water most of the time.

Everytime I go to cast and pull my fly behind me to move forward again, I splash the water behind me and almost totally mess up my cast....

How can I keep my fly and fly line from not hitting the water behind me??

I tried shortening up my cast movements but I can't seem to get the right combination to not do this anymore...

any advice would be grateful...

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.

15 Replies Related Threads

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 11:37:45 (permalink)
    get your arms up higher...  wont look pretty, and breaks the rule about keeping your elbow tucked to your ribs...  unless that means you're tossing the fly into trees. 

longer rod might help too.

how heavy of a fly are you tossing.  happens to me when chuck and duck with big buggers/sculpins

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 11:49:59 (permalink)

not big ones

maybe a size 12 hares ear or size 10 or 12 bugger

i never thought it was the size/weight of my fly, I figured I was just casting wrong...

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 11:55:27 (permalink)
    You're probably whipping back and forth too quickly, which does not allow the rod to load properly and prevents a proper loop from ever being formed. 

Slow down, and pay attention to the back cast, keep the rod tip up, between 10:00 and 2:00.

Have your bro video you and post it.  haha.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 12:04:29 (permalink)
    I tried shortening up my cast movements but I can't seem to get the right combination to not do this anymore...

In similar situations, I've tried similar adjustments...with similar results. One thing that helped me was to make up for length of "cast movement" (stopping well before ten o'clock) with a more abrupt snapping-up of the tip, to impart more of a "flick" as opposed to a normal cast, to get the rod loaded better on a short stroke. Gotta pause longer, though, because even though the backcast is shorter, you've still got the same amount of line that needs to extend out.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 12:09:17 (permalink)
    I agree with all of the above.  Use your thumb on top of the grip and slam it through like you are using it like a hammer.

You can always shorten the back cast, but that creates a problem in that deep of water with what to do with the line so that it shoots cleanly on the forecast.  This is solved by neatly coiling the line into loops and holding them in your teeth until the line is shot.

Becareful doing this though.  Timing is every thing.  also, some water you might fishi n may not be conducive to having the line in your mouth.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 12:36:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

haha we'll see about that

thanks for all the help, I am heading out right now....

thats one benefit of being unemployed.. I have all the time in the world to fish now!
    post edited by cooljauman - 2009/06/11 12:39:35

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 13:35:04 (permalink)

please don't...

i don't ask for much... but please don't
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 15:01:38 (permalink)
    I've been fortunate enough to fish a lot with a really short guy that can throw a line 120 feet in boop-deep water.  Lift yer arm up higher and work on yer timing.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 15:04:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

please don't...

i don't ask for much... but please don't

hahahaha
    lord only knows what we will post

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 15:14:01 (permalink)
    yep, elbow just below shoulder level. It helps standing a bit sideways to your target. Right foot back. That will allow you to slide your elbow back and forth on plane. 
    Ive' always felt uncomfortable casting in deep water too, but I manage. I do feel like a have to aim the cast a little higher on the backcast. I don't know if I'm actually aiming higher or it just feels like it with that higher elbow.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 20:42:31 (permalink)
    seriously... learn to double haul

the rhythm/timing needed for that cast done correctly will help

also don't think of it as a "back" cast... ie parallel to the water
    throw up and behind you

imagine you have a cup full of water in your casting hand...
    you want to throw the water as far as you can behind you...while holding onto the cup
    post edited by KJH807 - 2009/06/11 20:47:01
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 22:20:22 (permalink)
    Work on --

1. basic cast -- Lots of written and video training stuff available. You have to STOP! on the back cast AND the forward cast. Power move on the forward cast is like opening a screen door -- push with your thumb; pull with your hand.

2. false casts -- limit yourself to one or two false casts. Just back, forward, back, forward and let 'er go. Going nuts with false casts -- especially when you're letting out line on each cast, will inevitably lead to slapping the water on the back cast.

3. line in the air -- limit yourself to 3X rod length for the line you're carrying in the air. (9' rod = nearly 30') I'd say most "slappers" are trying to aerialize too much line.

4. exercise to gain line speed -- DO NOT do the following while fishing, because it's contrary to #1-3 above. Go out in the back yard and layout something close to the maximum amount of line you can keep in the air. Lift the line into a strong back cast. Do a brisk forward cast. Then repeat, hauling on BOTH the back and forward casts but NOT releasing any line. Do this 20 times, keeping the line in the air. (1 = back + forward) After a few sessions, you'll be keeping line in the air and you'll have to keep a firm grip to keep it from shooting. This exercise is in the L.L. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing.

I'd suggest you use a traditional stance (not open) and that you not rock back and forth. Work on exerting the absolute least amount of physical effort needed to execute a proper fly cast. Be Mr. Cool. Just enough, no more.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 22:46:38 (permalink)
    imagine you have a cup full of water in your casting hand...
    you want to throw the water as far as you can behind you...while holding onto the cup

Good analogy to describe what you mean. Thanks!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/11 22:47:53 (permalink)
    post edited by Cold - 2009/06/11 22:48:03
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: question about casting 2009/06/12 08:58:18 (permalink)
    Another possibility is to tower cast.  Basically throw your back cast almost straight up.  It has limited distance possibilities, but it does work.  It is normally utilized when trying to avoid tall objects such as trees or bushes that may be an issue for a back cast, but it will definitely keep you line off the water behind you.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    Jump to: