Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6297
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/31 13:18:34 (permalink)

Gear Product Reviews

Ok let me re-phrase ..
here is what I consider the best thing from one of our beloved members Perch inc... I used it to filet trout yesterday and it worked like a dream... If you don't have 1 buy 1 and it will change the whole outlook on cooking fish.

American Angler Electric Filet Knife... worth every penny !!!! 
post edited by hot tuna - 2009/05/31 17:36:19

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

23 Replies Related Threads

Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/05/31 13:24:57 (permalink)
    Agreed, this would make for a very useful thread.

I could go on for 100 pages with reviews...

I will start with the c****** prestige spinning reel.  Always on sale it seems, can be snagged for about $30.  I got the largest size and its great universal real for bass/pike...  Comes with spare spool. 9 bearings, smooth as silk. I run mostly pfluegers but i would rate this reel as one step better! The best $30 one could ever spend on a reel!!!
    post edited by Last Cast 69 - 2009/05/31 19:27:36
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/05/31 13:32:49 (permalink)
    One item in particular i went "cheaper" on was when i got into baitcasting reals. I started with the BPS Extreme model. I have had my orig one for years now and since purchased a few more, i have had ZERO problems and they get a lot of use.

They are under $100 bucks (compared to other brands which can run from $150+ ) OR even more !!

I will come up with others ...

BB

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/05/31 15:46:57 (permalink)
    Seems like a good idea but FishUSA may have a problem promoting other outfitters if they don't sell the product. I know I have mentioned Cabela's in posts before with no problems but a sticky thread with repeated mention of their competitors might be an issue for them. Just my 2 cents.
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/05/31 15:58:01

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/05/31 16:20:16 (permalink)
    Wisdom, you are probably right there.
    I still think we could do a gear review on many products without a mention of a brand mfg. such as cabelas. Also items which do not compete with  fishusa and they do not carry would be fine such as camping hiking or hunting.

oh well you guys, gals know where the bargain cave is..

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/05/31 19:21:56 (permalink)
    so you want to fish back country ponds for brook trout ?
    you can go out and buy one of those fancy hornbeck boats (I sold mine) or try and lug a canoe up those mountain trails, never again... or Here is the absolute best way to fish them.
    An inflatable boat !!!! They pack down to fit in or on your backpack, comfortable to fish out of (fly casting is a bit tricky but you get used to it) great for trolling and the price is right..
    Don't compromise and get a pool toy or buy one of those un-godly heavy sea eagles. This is the 1 to get...

2 person (really only 1 fits in) Super Caravelle XR56GTX-7 around $30.00
    weight = 8 lbs.

the 3 person Super Caravelle XR66GTX-7 around $45.00
     weight 13lbs can carry 2 small people fine.

Only way to fish ponds IMO, I have rowed them across some big lakes at times but you will get wet if rough.

look around the web you may find them cheaper....

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/05/31 19:59:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Wisdom, you are probably right there.
    I still think we could do a gear review on many products without a mention of a brand mfg. such as cabelas. Also items which do not compete with  fishusa and they do not carry would be fine such as camping hiking or hunting.

oh well you guys, gals know where the bargain cave is..
    RJ,
        I was just concerned FishUSA would have a problem about directing where to go to get something if it was their competitor. I have made many posts requesting help on a products I am considering buying. It is a great help to hear from someone who has used it before. Good or bad, it can save alot of time and money. If we are just reviewing/suggesting a product and not saying where to go to get it, I don't see where they could object. Besides the question of where to get something can always be addressed via private message.
                                Cheers Mate

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/10 19:18:26 (permalink)

here are some gear that I think are more fashion then function:
    Yes I bought into them.

1. Float Tube: Fashion, it's a neat thing but function wise very limited. first you must also purchases waders (unless you like leaches crawling on you) Tubes are limited to foot power, kicking around a pond is very tiring, trolling is possible but fruitless. Cold water is well, cold when you are submerged. Safety, I'd rather swim then sink. Weight wise compared to an inflatable raft = equal. They weigh the same , a raft will keep you dry, troll much better, can be anchored if needed and much cheaper in $ .
    My Choice .... RAFT!!!!!

2. Pontoon Boat: Another Fashion, way to pricey, weigh a TON and still generally require waders to stay dry. They are far over rated. For $300.00 (a cheap one) I can buy 10 rafts and not have a broken back trying to haul the darn thing in the woods.
    My Choice..... RAFT!!!!

3. Kayak: Now I hear you yak folks, believe me I love my Kayak but it's just not as functional as a fishing craft as say , canoe. a Kayak is meant to move forward, your lines while trolling are behind you , not good. A light weight single Kayak weighs (mine) #36 lbs, that’s heavy just to carry 1 person. I have trudged and dragged mine through the woods, it sucks. Think about this... A 12>14' Radisson or sportspal canoe. They are super light (for a canoe) at #38 lbs. you can carry 2 ppl + gear. Even get oar locks and troll the way it should be , in front.

Just IMO and some things to consider before buying into fashion....

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/10 19:51:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

1. Float Tube: Fashion, it's a neat thing but function wise very limited. first you must also purchases waders (unless you like leaches crawling on you) Tubes are limited to foot power, kicking around a pond is very tiring, trolling is possible but fruitless. Cold water is well, cold when you are submerged. Safety, I'd rather swim then sink. Weight wise compared to an inflatable raft = equal. They weigh the same , a raft will keep you dry, troll much better, can be anchored if needed and much cheaper in $ .
    My Choice .... RAFT!!!!!

ohh yeah, float tubes are great, as long as it's warm, there's no wind, you dont plan on trolling, or moving much of anywhere.  lol

man I need a raft.....
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/11 19:59:50 (permalink)

here is another review... Nets:
    I have used all kinds of nets in my years. To me a net is a great accessory to your fishing.

for those big Great Lakes fish you need a large net. Now I really get a kick out of seeing some folks with their favorite trout net hooked to the back of their vest. What are they thinking ? A 20 lb fish is going to fit in a 17" net ? Crazy...
    On the flip side I have seen many people carrying these huge oversized nets with 4 foot plus fixed handles or the ones with shorty handles..
    Both will work but neither are practical.
    I found one that works well for Salmon, Steelhead, Bass , Stripers & Pike.
    it's listed as an All Purpose Net , the hoop size is 23"X27" and has a 36" sliding handle. Great thing is the handle slides nicely up into the hoop and stays there. I attach it with a clip to the back of my wading jacket and it stays out of the way but ready for use.
    As with any net and big fish , use common sense and lift vertical or the yoke will bend..

Now for the Trout guys:
    Again I tried them all, those soft mesh ones, the old twine ones & the cheap plastic nylon ones. They all suck...... Your flies get hooked in them and worse yet use a lure with a treble or tandem hook... Can you say get out the scissors and start cutting.
    Well last year I have found a trout net I absolutely love !!! It's a rubber net. The thing is awesome !!!! Very easy on the fish and I have yet to get a tandem or treble caught in it. The price has come way down on them as well. Mine was $29.00 . Only slight downside is they weigh slightly more than a mesh net but you will not even notice it.
    Ok who needs a stinkin’ net anyway ?
    When you are in your raft you’ll see. Ever get a treble hook stuck in your finger while trying to hold and unhook a wiggling trout ? Try grabbing a slippery king by the tail without gloves, better yet stick your hand in 32 deg. Water when it’s only 3 degs. Air temp…Not good.
    I need Nets !!!

I'd say put it on your fathers day list for sure !!!!

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/13 18:25:46 (permalink)
    Nicely done HT, great points!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/21 21:22:20 (permalink)
    come on guys help me out here, i'm going to talk chest packs,waist packs,vest or just backpack.

from the picture below you can see I have tried a few tackle storage methods, there is 1 pack that is a vest pack w/a backpack attached not pictured. And I'll tell you I just don't really like any of them.
    the middle waist pack is a good concept but it always seems to slip and bind when I walk a lot. Maybe it's just a poor quality product.
    Also a vest seems to be the most practical except I always fill it up way to much and it strains on my neck and shoulders.
    I have also used a shoulder bag, a camcorder bag to be exact that is not so bad. What I'm looking for is some input to what works well for others. My least favorite is a chest pack, they are always to bulky and in the way especially when fishing on the salmon river.

I had thoughts of buying a lumbar pack made by fishpond, it's kinda pricy and not sure, thoughts ?

What I have been doing is just using my wading jacket and filling the pockets, but again it gets bulky.

So what does everyone find works well for stream fishing ?

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/21 21:41:07 (permalink)
    Also a vest seems to be the most practical except I always fill it up way to much and it strains on my neck and shoulders.

So what does everyone find works well for stream fishing ?

I'm a vest guy, exact same one you have there in the pic. I used to carry way to much stuff with me. But now days i pack lite, just the basics ... but i don't fly fish and i'm sure with clients and such you need to bring along a lot of gear.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/23 22:30:03 (permalink)
    A wife makes a great back pack! tell her you want to spend some quality time with her, bring her along, load HER up and then just make sure you have a book for her to sit and read while you fish,.....I didn't say that! ... I did not say that... did I just say that...mmmm in trouble now. lol

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/06/24 19:54:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Jigs

A wife makes a great back pack! tell her you want to spend some quality time with her, bring her along, load HER up and then just make sure you have a book for her to sit and read while you fish,.....I didn't say that! ... I did not say that... did I just say that...mmmm in trouble now. lol

Ya know my wife used to fish in the ADK's with me 25 some years ago. She used to do a lot then that she won't do now . Great thing now is I just say "I'm going fishing or hunting and I'll see you in a few days or whenever the truck pulls in the driveway". I call to update her but lots of times there is no cell service in the woods so she won't hear from me for a few days. In the latter I leave topo's of where I'll be located and an aprox. return date.   I never ask or have to ask.. After being in a hunting & fishing family for almost 30 years She just knows what each season holds ahead... 

Brian:
    Thanks for the feedback on the Vest, I like a vest also when I fish solo and if it's not raining . But as you said If I'm carrying tackle & gear for 2 or 3 it gets overloaded fast.
    I usually have a backpack esp. while Salmon or steelhead fishing. but I'm looking for some sort of small front tackle storage system as well. I'm thinking the fishpond lumbar pack would be a good system...

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/07/12 17:46:54 (permalink)
    Where are all the reviews ???

Well after getting back from a 4 day fishing trip I sat here and went shopping. You all know I'm a sucker for a bargain and today I broke down and bought a spey rod. I know, I always hammer those long line spey folks, but I guess I will eat crow on this. If you can't beat them , well you know.....

For those looking to introduce themselves to salmon or steelhead without breaking the bank on the fly rod , the bargain cave has a can't loose deal. A 9' 8wt traditional II rod for $39.00. Granted these are not sage or st. croix $300.00 rods but still a good rod that catch fish just the same. I would look toward a higher end reel and not the combo.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/07/15 13:05:39 (permalink)
    We've all got our own favorites and dislikes, and that's what makes this all so much fun.

On the topic of vests, chestpacks, etc. I must have some pretty different preferences.  I used a fly vest (Columbia BigHorn with zip-off belt to make it a shortie) for literally twenty years.  I bought that bastard at Brookwood in the mid 80s with money made from my Schenctady Gazette paper route.  It was great and fucntional, but wore me out on long days as it had accumulated more and more gear.

A few yearas ago when I was living in the Catskills I met a guy in Livingston Manor who owns a nice little fly shop and actually builds his own REELS.  He was previously a machinist in Long Island and is a really talented (and genuinely awesome) guy.  We got to talking about chest packs, and his sentiment was similar to Hot Tuna's at first.  "The cheap ones are junk and either fall apart of just get in the way".

But then he showed me the chestpack that he used.  A William & Joseph "Confluence"...  He offered to order me one at cost and I jumped at the deal.  To this day, it is the single best investment I have made in my 25+ years of fly fishing.  The fold-down fly tray is awesome, and the advanced suspension/support system is similar to any good backpack so the weight is distributed so well that I often forget I am even wearing it!

Plenty of room in the backpack part fot my raingear, first aid kit, and typically a cold Saranac Pale Ale or three.

To each his own, but for my money that Chest Pack has been awesome.  I don't know what I did without it.

Much like everything else in life, it appears you 'get what you pay for'...  And that William & Joseph stuff is surely no joke.  My pack is tough as nails and built to sweet specs. 

I am looking forward to buying more of their gear in the coming seasons, I love it. 

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/07/17 17:25:58 (permalink)
    I found a photo of the front of the William & Joseph chestpack.

The back of the rig is pretty much just two good-sized pockets for raingear, etc. and some loops to lash stuff to, but I've never needed anything like that.

The front has the fold down fly tray that has already paid for itself three times over in flies not lost in the wind to the river when they sail out of my hands (well, maybe not that many, but it is still a sweet feature that I don't think I could even fish without anymore since having it)

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/07/24 09:43:40 (permalink)
    Jimmy, no doubt W&J make a great product. I have a similar chest pack w/attached back pack that is great for trout fishing. My only problem with a chest pack is when fishing for salmon, steelhead. The front chest seems to get in my way when fighting those fish. At times I use the butt section of my rod and hold it up against my chest for extra leverage or my arms get tired , then the pack becomes an obstruction to my reel.

speaking of salmon:
    here are (IMO) the only flies required to coax them monsters into striking. You will find me swinging only big flies in size # 4 that they can see and not tiny ones the can't  . So much of being successful in "catching" salmon has to do with fishing the proper water then really anything else.
    Avoid what I call "sucker" holes and fish transitional staging waters.
    There are 2 typs of flies that will get you in the line of sight of a fish without having to dump a ton of lead(weight) on them.
    1. If you are using a synthetic material such as krystal flash then tie the fly sparce: They will sink quicker.
    2. Use a water absorbing material such as rabbit fur and it will sink quicker.
    As said above, I fish transition spots that are 5' deep or less, you should easily be able to get the above flies in that depth.

Here is the comet: this fly has taken well over 1,000 salmon for me. These are the 2 most producing colors but at times I will throw a darker color such a purple or dark blue. Last year Chartruse was on fire all season !!

comet: Use bead chain (not lead dumbells) for the eyes.

The Bunny Fly is a heavy water absorbing fly with a lot of action:

Very easy quick tying flys that will trigger a pizzed off salmon....
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/07/24 09:53:44

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/08/23 13:22:12 (permalink)
    just gonna throw up a review for the old harbour outfitters fillet kinfe, oho titanium. it's a a real solid knife, very sharp, with the most comfortable grip. and at only $20 it's a good buy, only thing is it doesnt come w/ a sheath. but the knife is top quality, i recomend for anything, i've filleted crappie, trout, salmon, etc, worked great. buy one!

http://www.tackledirect.com/old-harbor-outfitters-titanium-bonded-filet-knife.html
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/11/26 15:13:35 (permalink)
    If you don't shop in the Bargain cave your crazy ! All "their" products are lifetime guarantee and with super closeout or reduced prices how can you go wrong ? Sorry but I endorse "their" gear..

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/11/26 20:54:21 (permalink)
    Wow getting the game on! those last two were boring mismatch imo ..uhh !!!my stomach!! woo big feastin!! i feel like the guy on the table in the movie aliens!..this is it.. I'm going giants but may the best team win as always! ..okay, after the fact i seen what cabelas had and not sure about which guide parka you got, i just read about the features and still might be satisfied with my new rain parka it is heavy duty and made well..comparing it to what i read on both sites, i have to say i like what i see in this parka but wish i could compare it to a cabelas.. i have been using a lighter gortex 3/4 rain coat for over ten years, i mentioned it finally started to leak during heavy downpours this spring.. i since reconditioned it with revivex.. i'm sure it is going to work almost as good as new ..i also been using a sage simplex wader jacket (good for wading) picked that up for 100.00 close-out over a decade ago.. both great rain gear ..even my packable gortex pants for 50.00 i bought from ramsey outdoors some 15-20 years ago are still excellent shape (no leaks) gortex is strong stuff and still #1 imo .. those orange browning coveralls i use for ice fishing are made with gortex well insulated paid 100 on sale over a decade ago....back to the Sage simplex wader jacket..it works but the shell absords so it takes longer for the outer shell to dry once wet.. gortex dries faster in the truck. sucks having to put back on wet rain gear on cold days/nights, gortex is the best. I see cabelas offering free shipping for the holidays.. the reduced sale prices are not in my size (L) but which parka compares well against the gander guide series gortex parka? It has 12 pockets inside/outside D rings ..compare the cuffs ..these cuffs will work well for bare hands in wind rain cold .. defintely an excellent extreme weather fishing parka.. i can fill pockets now and keep alot tackle dry and a coathang on the back if i want a clip a net .. definitely more pockets for fishing tackle than my older rain coats both have only two or three pockets .. I was wonder which cabela parka you have ?
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/11/27 00:24:06

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/11/26 22:08:26 (permalink)
    talk about gear! bargains?.. check out gan-mt ..they got the 1000 mg for 129.00 i got to have it.. i have a ton of top end spin reels but got to have this one! lol

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Gear Product Reviews 2009/11/26 22:25:26 (permalink)
    Checked again, I compared product description and confirmed the gander guide parka has two more hidden zipper pockets under a flap where you see the D rings above the velcro main gusset pockets.. more featured pockets but less the thinsulate, costs 200.00 .. Cabelas guide parka is on sale their's is insulated (thinsulate lined)and on sale for 150.00 with free holiday shipping. I'd like to see Cabelas parka, I have to use the 30day return policy. It isn't the 50 bucks as much as what features I want in a parka. man it is gusting today! too windy even for spinfishing
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/11/28 09:59:29

Jump to: