Ode To Dry Fly Man

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/29 15:55:14 (permalink)

Ode To Dry Fly Man

This rain has really tested the dry fly fisherman. All Winter he yearns for the first days of Sulphur hatch. This year the rain has all but stopped his fishing. He carries a heavy heart as the thunder rolls across the valley.
He tries to act interested in others conversations as the lightning flashes. As he glances out the dining room window @ supper time he knows another evening's fishing is going to happen only in the mind.
He sits in his easy chair as the evening wears on & nods off.
Dreams of days when the weather was perfect, the bugs were @ their peak & the fish dotted the surface as far as the eye cared to see.
There will be no shortage of the right fly here, and no desperate fly changes just as it gets too dark to see.
Fabrication of the mind this nights fishing may be, but it fills his heart almost enough to hope smile. For tomorrow is another day, and maybe it that storm will tuck behind the mountain just long enough for me to raise just one Trout.
One to keep the dream alive.

Lyrical

4 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Ode To Dry Fly Man 2009/05/29 17:44:19 (permalink)
    But just think about the amount of action there will be when the rain finally stops.  All the nymphs that haven't hached out will be rising like mad.  I think it was around 78-79 when there was a real wet spring and all summer long there were amazing hatches.  About 4 years ago there were some hatches on the "j" in late autumn that were off the charts.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Ode To Dry Fly Man 2009/05/29 22:02:48 (permalink)
    Hey- the rain let up & I took the kids to my fav. stream in hopes of a hatch.
    It was a good night for bugs & risers.
    My oldest boy caught one all by himself. He's 6.
    Twin sister reeled a couple in.
    All the kids caught some Mayflies home to look at. We took some pics of them & set them free.
    I caught a few fish too. The fishing was hotter than Angelina Jolie naked in the shower.
    One of the best nights in my memory.
    I'm thankful my kids were there to witness the miracle of the hatch and better yet enjoyed it!

Lyrical
    flytwister
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Ode To Dry Fly Man 2009/05/31 21:45:33 (permalink)
    man am i glad you had a good evening they are few and far between.
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Ode To Dry Fly Man 2009/06/01 11:12:56 (permalink)
    "The fishing was hotter than Angelina Jolie naked in the shower"

You holding out on me again with storys?

Yeah man I miss 5 out of 7 days a week working 2nd shift. The Sulphurs been providing good action here as well as March Browns,caddis,Yellow sallys and some Baetis as well

I will get out to see ya soon though!

Loch
    Jump to: