Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question...

Author
npsinboro
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/29 11:33:31 (permalink)

Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question...

Is 50:1 the typical ratio for outboards?

I have a late 70's suzuki 5hp outboard.. thing looks brand new under the cover. has no stickers left on the outside and I can't find a model # anywhere.

As such is there a general mix ratio for two stroke outboards? I'm reading a lot of recommendations for 50:1 and just wondered if anyone else had an opinion on this.

Also, anyone recommend general neccesary mainteinance for this **** thing? It hasn't seen light since the 80's..

We fired it up after just a few pulls last night (after removing spark plugs, shooting with wd-40, hand cranking and letting sit for a day).

I imagine there is some crank case oil somewhere and maybe oil through the armature that leads to the propeller that should be changed? Is there an oil filter somewhere in the mix?

I appreciate your help and know these are some bonehead questions but I'm very new to the whole owning a boat thing... :-)

11 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 11:41:42 (permalink)
    Two stroke = no crank case oil. The crank gets it lube from the pre-mix. In the "old days" the mix was 20-1, but if you're using it for trolling 50-1 should be OK.

Lower unit lube should be changed, there will be a screw on the bottom side and another up a little higher, remove both to drain the lower unit lube. When filling, fill from the bottom screw hole until it comes out of the upper screw hole. Replace upper screw before removing bottle from lower screw hole, this will "vapor lock" the lube in so you can put the lower screw back without all the lub running out.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 11:44:18 (permalink)
    OH, and NEVER run the motor without it being in water, whether on muffs or in a tub or barrel of water. You should also probably have the water impeller on the cooling system changed.
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 12:02:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bulldog1

OH, and NEVER run the motor without it being in water, whether on muffs or in a tub or barrel of water. You should also probably have the water impeller on the cooling system changed.

Thanks Bulldog!

We did run it while in a barrel of water so that's good, understand it needs that to cool off.

I'd be using the 5hp as the general "get around" motor on a 16' aluminum "utility boat".. I also have a little electronic trolling motor. Do you think I'd be safer with a 20:1 ratio? I guess that's just a matter of how much lube your giving it kinda..?

Thanks for the advice on how to change the lower unit, I am very new to all this and that'll help as I stare at it in person! Is there a specific marine oil for that lower unit or do you usually use something like 10w30?
    guidemaster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 12:04:11 (permalink)
    50/1 is good. gear oil for lower unit. If its cloudy when you drain the old, you may have a bad seal.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 14:44:01 (permalink)
    I would say the 50:1 is the way to go, oils are better than they used to be. Don't use the oil for your weed wacker or chain saw. Air cooled and water cooled are two different types of oil. You can get the lower unit oil at wally world or most tackle shops as well.

The motor needs the water for cooling, but if you run it for even an instant out of water you run the risk of ripping the impeller up. It's just a small rubber gizmo in the lower unit that pumps the water up thru the motor and out the "pee" hole.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 16:39:33 (permalink)
    heres a site to try, may answer a lot of your questions. http://www.outboardrepairs.com/suzuki/
    ORIGINAL: npsinboro

Is 50:1 the typical ratio for outboards?

I have a late 70's suzuki 5hp outboard.. thing looks brand new under the cover. has no stickers left on the outside and I can't find a model # anywhere.

As such is there a general mix ratio for two stroke outboards? I'm reading a lot of recommendations for 50:1 and just wondered if anyone else had an opinion on this.

Also, anyone recommend general neccesary mainteinance for this **** thing? It hasn't seen light since the 80's..

We fired it up after just a few pulls last night (after removing spark plugs, shooting with wd-40, hand cranking and letting sit for a day).

I imagine there is some crank case oil somewhere and maybe oil through the armature that leads to the propeller that should be changed? Is there an oil filter somewhere in the mix?

I appreciate your help and know these are some bonehead questions but I'm very new to the whole owning a boat thing... :-)

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 19:53:34 (permalink)
    Here's a site of the dealers in Pa.
    http://www.suzukimarine.com/dealer_locator/?state=PA
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 20:12:24 (permalink)
    If it has been sitting for more than a few years, it will need the impeller and lower unit lube changed. That's easily done by you if your somewhat mechanically inclined.

Also the carbs are more than likely gummed up. It will start and idle well, even run well at 1500-2000 rpms, but at full throttle it will bog down.

50:1 is the standard oil ratio as you said on most larger motors, not sure on a 5hp. Heavier amounts like 20:1 will eventually foul the plugs. Lighter than 50:1 will do more damage to other parts and possibly seize the powerhead over time.

Check the water coolant hoses near the spark plugs(they come up from the lower unit). Dry rot is common but easily fixed. Just cut off the hose in question and take it down to your local auto parts box store and they can give you rubber automotive fuel line hoses which work just as good or better than factory and are $1.40 per foot versus a marine dealers charge to you.

Good luck.
    post edited by gobyking - 2009/05/29 20:13:51
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 21:24:38 (permalink)
    Y'all rock.  Thanks so much for all the sage advice.  Amazing resource of fishing knowledge around these parts!

Took the boat out on Edinboro to see if she floats, everything ran great.. only had a few hours but what a great feeling to get off the shore for once!  
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/29 22:23:07 (permalink)
    The oil you want it TC-W3.  Any kind of oil nowadays is good, so long as it is TC-W3.  Just pick one brand and stick to it.
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Typical mix ratio for two-stroke outboards? 50:1? And general maintenance question.. 2009/05/30 18:58:38 (permalink)
    Good to see it ran well in the water. I had a 65 hp johnson that started and idled fine with the muffs on but in the water wouldn't start at all. The carbs needed redone (it sat for a couple of years before I got it). The back pressure that the water provides showed the problem. 

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    Jump to: