I think she's coming home!

Author
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/29 09:31:11 (permalink)

I think she's coming home!

I'm loading the tackle, downriggers, mast, boards, sonar, gps and tools in my trailer for the ride to Happy Days. I think I'm bringing home Hawg Wild I, at least thats the plan. The service manager told me they ran my engines before they pulled them and they ran smooth and strong, Now theres a miss in the port side they haven't been able to pinpoint yet. So far they rebuilt the carb, drain ed the new fuel and cleaned the tank, switched the carb from starboard to port, and are now doing a compression test. I reminded him that the engines ran strong and smooth before they were pulled and the compression couldn't have changed when they were sitting in there shop. I told him I'm picking the boat up and have a trailer full of tools coming for the ride. My hope is it is done when I get there. They had the boat since Feb. and said it would be done in 6 weeks. If they would have put the boat together as scheduled these bugs could have been worked out before fishing season. I'm thinking it's a bad wire, points, or plug time will tell. SOOOOOO if the boat is done or I fix it myself, the water is decent and the forecast is good, Here we come Erie! Hope to be there saturday!

13 Replies Related Threads

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2124
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/05/29 09:37:22 (permalink)
    I wouldnt waste your time comin up. I've pretty much caught everything in the lake......................LOL J/K. Have a safe trip up!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/05/29 10:25:05 (permalink)
    That has to be the best thread title I've ever seen!

I hate ignition glitches, been fighting one myself for a few days.

Good luck on the trip.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/05/29 12:05:51 (permalink)
    Your going to have a hard time convincing the dealer that the motors were perfect running with no problems prior to pulling them in a used boat.  The longer things sit dry the more prone you are to having seals and gaskets dry and need replaced. Figure your motors have been out for 3 months sitting around dry.   

Things happen...no compression shouldnt change over night, but to do the stringer/transom job you described back in Feb. I would imagine everything had to come out then get reinstalled and probaly something changed in that process.  The miss could be due to timing or a variety of different things.  Might just need a set of wires caps rotors.  Or you could just start throwing money at it till the problem resolves itself.

Something my Dad has always preached to me and still does to this day, just cause your paying someone to do something, doesnt mean its getting done right...

6 weeks has turned into almost 4 months here real quick...Im sure that equals alot more than they initially quoted as well....

Did you have a chance to get the boat registered in PA?

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/05/29 15:25:23 (permalink)
    Going to the notary now. They said the distributor was bad BUT the process of elimination is whats a little frustrating. Erie Bound!
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/05/30 18:48:07 (permalink)
    Fathead , good to see your ready to git-er-done. Happy traveling , boating , and good fishing to ya.

Nothin worse than you being ready to fish and the boat not being ready to go.

for me , fishing is a means of keeping my sanity.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Master Guide
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/05/31 20:31:48 (permalink)
    Dont forget to calibrate your gps
    localknowledge
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/01 00:01:34 (permalink)
    howed you guys make out?
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/01 00:39:26 (permalink)
    She's at the dock! Everything went fine, trip took about 7 hours. That was a long ride back. I would be cautious of using the dealer who did my work and wouldn't recommend the service department there to anyone. The glass shop did a nice job. The service shop had the boat for 7-8 weeks and didn't have the boat done for us when we got there. I watched them change the thermostat ans hoses, also change the oil in both engines. We were fortunate to get back. The boat would not start at our dock when we got home. The battery was dead and we had two fully charged batteries. Seems the mechanic was clueless on how to wire the batteries. The boat was very dirty and still had fiberglass dust and particles all through the cabin and hull. They pumped the oil out of the engines and removed the filters without any rags to catch the old oil, Guess where the oils at now? In my newly finished bilge! The ground to the dash was not working and none of the electronics or tranducers would work. The transducers still aren't working units come on but no transducers. Good thing I had tham install a new thru hull ducer. My seats are not bolted down and the floor sections were not screwed back down. I had them remove the stainless rail around the cockpit and the ladder on the transom, The holes in the transom look like someone used there finger to fill them and never sandded the area smooth. I have some bilge paint coming off where they didn't sand the resin properly. They cracked the port side window when removing it and reinstalled the cracked one. They gave me a new one which I had to install myself today. I don't know why they removed it in the first place. Overall I can say the fiberglass job is decent but everything else sucks! I will do more research next time I need major repairs done.

Captain Wayne
    Hawg Wild Charters 
    post edited by Big Fathead - 2009/06/01 00:41:03
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/01 06:21:49 (permalink)
    Sounds like you should have hooked er up,  left the bill behind , drive like hell , and never look back. 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/01 08:34:03 (permalink)
    If I would have known before hand I would have recomended Offshore Performance in Oak Harbor which is literally 8min from Happy Days....Everyone I know down there raves about their service.  Guy we docked across from this year had them do a complete overhaul of the engines and redo the stringers and transom on his older Sport.  They put a lifetime warrenty on the stringers and transom.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/01 16:58:22 (permalink)
    Well they stepped up to the plate and took care of the time we have spent and will spend going over the job. I hope this is an isolated problem and this doesn't happen to everyone else. Overall the boat is great and after this coming weekend should be in great shape and ready to go. See ya on the lake!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/02 11:35:04 (permalink)
    When's the "Open House"?
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    RE: I think she's coming home! 2009/06/02 16:19:53 (permalink)
    Depending on how difficult the auto pilot is to install, It should be ready this weekend. I'll be at the dock working on it all weekend between fishing!
    Jump to: