Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/26 17:37:16 (permalink)

'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing)

`Ol Leaky

After the long drive from Clarion to Butler to get a root canal done by an Endodontist. After my radiator hose split and sprayed fluid all over downtown Butler until I found a garage that would fix my van hose. After walking in the pouring down rain and still getting to my appointment on time, I now sit here in the Dentist chair feeling the air conditioner penetrating my wet cloth causing a chill throughout my body. While the Novocain starts to numb my lower jaw, gum, right cheek, lips and the right side of my tongue I recall the past Saturday ‘Shenango get together’ at the Shenango Lake

I was taking off my chaps and jacket, from the cycle ride, just as Mikastorm pulled into the lot next to our reserved pavilion. Mikastrom said that when it came to a final count there should be at least 13 people including guests. He admitted that Memorial Day weekend probably wasn’t a good weekend, but I had to admit a lot of us didn’t realize it either. Gizmos arrived just before 8:30 AM., with Rage on a leash, and we headed to his docked boat for some morning fishing. After Gizmos convinced Rage that she couldn’t ride in the nicer boats docked along side, she reluctantly got in `Ol Leaky. Gizmo fired up the 2-cycle outboard which dispersed a light blue cloud of smoke that hovered over the dock and launch area as Mikastorm unhitched the ropes. Gizmo backed up the boat, turned it and with the lever forward we were on our way.

Gizmo was the captain and navigator as his first mate, Rage, stood tall on the bow of the boat with her nose in the wind. Mikastorm was our guide being familiar with the lake and I came along, well, to fish. We didn’t even get to the rte. 18 bridge when I was already asked questions about the way the engine bogs down at first then all of a sudden speeds up and smooth’s out like it normally should when the throttle is at fast speed. Being that I worked in the small engine business for 20+ years we conversed about the slight problem as Mikastorm directed us to waters he felt would be productive.

Under the morning sunshine Gizmo trolled the shore line as Mika and I casted twisters and lures towards the bank undercover. Gizmo's first cast was into a tree branch. Without any luck along shore we decided to head out a bit into deeper water. Gizmo turned the bilge pump on and water gushed out the 2” black hose attached to the rear of the boat before firing up old smoky.
We got good fish sign on the fish finder in about 7’-8’ of water. Gizmo shut the boat motor down and electrically dropped the trolling motor into the water that was attached to the front of the boat. With a little help of Mikastorm, holding the motor in the water and finally manually latching it, Gizmo checked wind direction and positioned the boat for a good slow wind drift.

Mikastorm started off drifting a live minnow under a bobber out from the boat while jigging a small tube jig off the bow of the boat. Gizmo drifted a live minnow deep on one pole while the other he hooked a live minnow to a silvery twister. I casted out an imitation minnow hooked behind a Mepps spinner. After Mikastorm was way late on the sinking bobber I finally scored bringing in the first crappie. After another score Mikastorm hooked into one also. We were feeling good about our find catching 8” to 11” crappie with most of them being in the 10” range. After drifting out of the small section we couldn’t get any more hits so Gizmo trolled us back over the ’strike zone’ and dropped a marker. Again we started to get hits and Mika and Gizmo both hooked up simultaneously. For the next hour or so we drifted and fished around our marker and continued to score. We all had good action with Mika pulling in a 12” than a 13” crappie. Gizmo and Mika also hooked into a channel cat a piece on a live minnow just before Rage started whimpering for a rest stop.

Gizmo tried starting the boat motor, to get us to shore, but the starter motor seemed to ignore his attempts. I finally found out what the rubber mallet was for that was readily available clamped to the inside wall next to my back seat. As Mika turned the key, Gizmo gently tapped on the engine shroud with the rubber mallet. Without any outcome Gizmo took off the engine shroud and tapped on the starter motor with the same, nothing accomplished, results. Wanting to go ashore also, I collected a pair of needle nose pliers along with fishing pliers and showed Gizmo how to jump the solenoid. The motor started and we made it to the nearby shore for some relief.
Rage got some exercise and the three of us got to stretch our legs.

Back in the boat Gizmo turned the bilge pump back on to lighten up the load. The boat motor wouldn’t start again so the shroud was removed again. This time slightly tapping on the solenoid, instead of the starter, the smoky engine came to life in an instant. By than we had time for two more drifts through the ‘strike zone.’ We picked up a couple more crappies and headed back towards the pavilion.

Back at the shoreline, below the pavilion, there was a beautiful blue Lund boat anchored off shore with the bow roped to a heavy tree branch on the bank. Up at the pavilion we met Texcobb99 and his two active children. BLance brought his family along with K*R*A*F*T mac & cheese. Mikastorm started up the charcoals and when they got good and hot Mat cooked up some burgers and dogs. Mr. Hunter told us some old time experiences and good info on Lake Erie fishing. The food was smelling good and was plentiful as expected as we each filled our bellies including home made icing topped cupcakes. The jalapeño burger put sweat on Mika’s brow as we sat under the pavilion talking about fishing with the new faces to known user names.

As dinner was over Mat handed a dollar to Mikastorm for catching the biggest crappie and than he and Mr. Hunter took off for home. Texcobb99 said he was going to take the kids knee boarding behind his boat before an evening of fishing. I would have liked to have stayed for the evening catch but I had a party to go to up in Marienville. After saying my good-byes I fired up the Harley and headed north under the hot afternoon sun.
Great day!!! Go Pen's
                                                                                     ~doubletaper

Pictures are in the 'Shenango outing' post in the northwest forum.
post edited by doubletaper - 2009/05/26 17:52:00

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

6 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: 'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing) 2009/05/30 00:26:58 (permalink)
    jerry, when i saw the title, i thought you were doing a story on my sister in law.  this was much better. 

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: 'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing) 2009/05/30 13:04:22 (permalink)
    Smokes, leaks, and needs hit with a mallet to get er done. Sounds like the owner !
     We fixed some of the leaks, but only temporary. I'm gonna rename her "Depends "   
    post edited by gizmos - 2009/05/30 13:05:52

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: 'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing) 2009/05/30 17:08:20 (permalink)
    Nice story...

Jerry, John, Tom and Bill.  Any time you want to go to Erie, your boat or mine,  let me know.  I am always game for a trip with good company.

PS - I don't take the kids with me all the time.  If I did my ears would fall off.  Just ask Triple B and Dream Catcher.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: 'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing) 2009/06/01 07:49:46 (permalink)
    Giz, you should finish the story where we watched that old man and the kid fight the striper. Priceless!

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: 'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing) 2009/06/02 08:46:49 (permalink)
    Tex, Thanks for the offer, would like to do that sometime ! (soon !!)

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: 'Ol Leaky (the shenango outing) 2009/06/02 09:57:30 (permalink)
    DT,
      Another excellent story!  Made me wish I were there, instead of here.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: