Blue Crabs Ocean City

Author
DJ2007
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 523
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/24 13:36:21 (permalink)

Blue Crabs Ocean City

Hey all, just went crabbing in OC for the first time and only caught some small ****ty crabs.  Anyone know of any good spots to go?  Should we try renting  boat to do it?   Any tips at all would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

25 Replies Related Threads

CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/26 23:19:18 (permalink)
    Just go to Hoopers Crab House, you can get all of those disgusting thangs you can eat there! I personally wouldnt waste my time. "YUCK"
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/26 23:37:56 (permalink)
    Use chicken necks tied to a line.You don't need hooks
    Or buy some crab traps and put a dead fish in-the older the better

Drop either off a pier, wharf or dock

washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 08:27:28 (permalink)
    Go out to Assateauge Island and try around the bridge. All the fishing piers are good as well. Get a little crab trap and tie some chicken in it, and leave it on bottom for a while. All the bait shops will have info on where to crab.
    steelhead4ever
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 08:37:37 (permalink)
    Assateague bridge is 45 minutes from OC. I'm sure there are some closer places around where your staying before you blast all the way down there.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 08:50:06 (permalink)
    How big is "small ****ty"? You know they dont get real big, right? The Bering Sea it aint.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 17:18:25 (permalink)
    Steelhead4ever..   From the inlet at O.C., Rt. 50 bridge, it about 8 - 10 miles out to Assateague Island .  Thats the bridge I was refering to that crosses the Sinepuxent Bay to Assateague Island. It's nice out there, crowds aren't as bad as the in town piers, and there's lots a wildlife to see. Worth the short ride. There are also good clamming areas out there as well.
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 19:46:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: washdog

Steelhead4ever..   From the inlet at O.C., Rt. 50 bridge, it about 8 - 10 miles out to Assateague Island .  Thats the bridge I was refering to that crosses the Sinepuxent Bay to Assateague Island. It's nice out there, crowds aren't as bad as the in town piers, and there's lots a wildlife to see. Worth the short ride. There are also good clamming areas out there as well.

Yup, can't be more than 15-20 minutes from OC. If you're inclined to take a little farther drive (30-40 minutes) go to Chincoteague Island and crab in the little canals leading to the beaches. They're loaded with them. We did that a couple years ago on vacation. It was a blast.  

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 19:48:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CRANKMASTER

Just go to Hoopers Crab House, you can get all of those disgusting thangs you can eat there! I personally wouldnt waste my time. "YUCK"

Hoopers is good. BTW, you know you're not supposed to eat the guts, right?

CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/27 22:20:10 (permalink)
    Guts ??? Maybe thats what I was doing ! LOL. All I can say is they are a hell of a lot of work for the very little bit of morsel you get out of them. I'll take an Alaskan anytime !
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/28 10:32:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: clinchknot

Yup, can't be more than 15-20 minutes from OC. If you're inclined to take a little farther drive (30-40 minutes) go to Chincoteague Island and crab in the little canals leading to the beaches. They're loaded with them. We did that a couple years ago on vacation. It was a blast.  

ooh! sounds like some spot burning going on here. i bet the locals are going to get ****ed seeing their secret spots full of out-of-town crabbers! 

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/28 10:50:13 (permalink)
    I think it's the lungs that you're not supposed to eat, help yourself to the rest of the guts.

They are fun to catch with your kids, but I have to say if they were all you had to eat you'd probably starve. I think it takes more energy to pick them than you get from eating them. They are pricey in the restaurants though. Have fun and good luck.
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/28 11:40:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Use chicken necks tied to a line.You don't need hooks
    Or buy some crab traps and put a dead fish in-the older the better

Drop either off a pier, wharf or dock

I grew up in Philly and went "crabbing" as a kid with my dad in a boat in the inland waterway near  the Jersey coast.
    Crab traps make it easy with a dead half of a fish in the trap, if you  are near them.
    However, tying a heavy string around a fish-half / chicken neck, we used about a "1- 2 ounce sinker" , in about 5 - 6 ' of water near weeds, make it interesting and sporting.  You normally do not feel the crabs on the line and you pull the line up slowly and then "net them" as you get close to the top of the water.  I think their are limits both in size and numbers.

As in fishing, no bites, you move.
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/28 14:17:29 (permalink)
    I agree as mentioned.

Fun to catch very, little meat.

I used chicken necks. You can buy them at basically any bait shop down there. Find any grass inlet or try off the pier. We hammered them down there in the grass. Once again very little meat and lots of sunburn. If you have kids though, they'll love it!

Good luck, don't forget your SPF block. It gets hot as hell along the water shores/piers.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/28 22:34:51 (permalink)
    Loomis picked up crabs in OC... ask him about it
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/29 08:51:30 (permalink)
    ooh! sounds like some spot burning going on here. i bet the locals are going to get ****ed seeing their secret spots full of out-of-town crabbers! 

Taper,
    Hahaha   Nope that just seems to be a Erie thing .
    post edited by washdog - 2009/05/29 08:52:23
    steelhead4ever
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/29 20:42:44 (permalink)
    They definitely do. Spent my summers on Chincoteague while I was in highschool, there are still some relatively "unknown" spots, but they are few and far between, especially during tourists season. The average person though can have some good luck crabbing in any of the well known areas that are around the Island though, you just have to hit it at the right time of the tide. Remember too, that crabs aren't as plentiful in some times of the years as they are in others.

The bridge I was referring to was the bridge that connects Chincoteague to Assateague, which is 40 minute minimum from OC.

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

ORIGINAL: clinchknot

washdog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/30 01:28:10 (permalink)
    Steelhead,
    Wasn't thinking about the bridge coming from the VA. side. I have never been to Chincoteague.

Can you travel the full length of Asseteague Island from  O.C. to Chincoteague ?  I thought I had heard once the Island may not have a road which travels end to end ? 
    Nbobich
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/30 05:00:16 (permalink)
    When I went to Ocean City with my family my dad and arent much of beach people so we went to Asseteague Island and they have a couple different classes you can go to around the island... They are free and there are different ones thought-out the day. Surf fishing, crabbing, I think a fly fishing one, and then a clam class... The classes just showed the basics for the different things each lasting an hour to 2 but it was fun!!! The next day me and my dad were out at the beach at 6 a.m. surf fishing then later in the day we went crabbing. Fun trip
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/30 12:47:46 (permalink)
    try around the rt. 50 bridge at 2nd avenue or or the rocks by the inlet entrance ,just about anywhere you can get down to the water, the upper bridge at 62nd ave is overtop assawomen bay, usually a lot of weed patches in that area too, it used to be goodaround there , in between tide changes seemed to be better. get a tide chart from any bait shop, there free
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/30 13:01:19 (permalink)
    All this talk about crabs is making me             itchy.lol
    If ya cook some up get the crab boil sold in stores. Great stuff but it does get spicy.

clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/30 18:45:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

I think it's the lungs that you're not supposed to eat, help yourself to the rest of the guts.

They are fun to catch with your kids, but I have to say if they were all you had to eat you'd probably starve. I think it takes more energy to pick them than you get from eating them. They are pricey in the restaurants though. Have fun and good luck.

Yeah, definitely don't eat the lungs. They call the guts "the mustard". Try to avoid that too. It won't really hurt you unless you eat a lot of it, then it will make you sick. I agree blue crabs are way too much work for all you get but they are fun to catch, especially if you have kids with you.

redwood
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/31 14:13:58 (permalink)
    A ton of blue crab, a roll of paper towels and a boat load of beer what could be better. Don't eat the lungs!! The "mustard" is fine for you. Get some ritz crackers and put it on them.

If it were'nt for venitian blinds...it would be curtains for all of us!!
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/05/31 19:59:47 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  Finally caught a few keepers, though not many. They sure are fun to catch, got most of the keepers on hand lines.  There evil little SOB's one jumped across the sink to try and get me.  By small ****ty crabs i meant some other species that we were catching.  they were like 2-3 in long.  
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/06/01 16:09:34 (permalink)
    Use the small ones for bait.  Cut them in half and fish them near the rocks.

I'd much rather spend my time fishing than catching crabs.  The stripers should be in the inlet pretty good right now.  I'd imagine the blues are showing up too. 

Buy the crabs at the side street vendors or fish markets.  Usually sell them live or steamed for free, for much cheaper than the resteraunts.

I'm pretty sure you can eat everything in a crab.  I've eaten many softshelled crabs, and I'm still walking!  Those things are very good! 

Crabbing is pretty fun though, I used to do it all of the time with my parents and brother.  Will probably end up doing it with my kids when they are older.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Blue Crabs Ocean City 2009/06/01 20:23:59 (permalink)
    Try the Trenches...usually always good for some monster blue crabs in the spring

Jump to: