Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JMZ82
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 306
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/24 08:45:56 (permalink)

Ethics on a dead fish out of season

I was wondering what everyones opinion on this is.  To start the reason I thought of it was yesterday I was fishing and caught a 14 inch rainbow, I had already released a number of fish some bigger than this one but when I caught this one i was having some trouble reviving it, so I placed it in some calm water to see if it would recover, it didn't so rather than leaving a dead fish I took it home to eat, it was the only fish I kept.

My question is what if this happens to a fish that's out of season or in a catch and release only section.  I know its illegal but what are you suppose to do just leave the dead one float there?  Also I know the hardest part of this would be for you to prove it died on release and you weren't just keeping it.  So is the right thing to do by law just to leave it float?

By the way when I intend to release a fish I do everything I can to do so as quickly and safely as possible.

47 Replies Related Threads

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/24 09:51:03 (permalink)
    Just leave it,  it won't go to waste ,it will be food for the ecosystem.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/24 10:32:56 (permalink)
    I agree with Glen. I'm not saying one should be careless. or not take efforts to release fish with the best chance for survival. But death is a "part of life". A reality we humans tend to reject, or at least try to.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/24 19:29:58 (permalink)
    The ethical thing is to eat it.  The legal thing is to let it be, as difficult as it is.  
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/24 19:42:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DJ2007

The ethical thing is to eat it.  The legal thing is to let it be, as difficult as it is.  

Whats wrong with a racoon eating it? Too much talk about "ethics" these days. It's just a fish.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/24 20:00:31 (permalink)
    ethics and legalities parallel.  it is ethical to follow the rule of law.  unfortunately, the law doesn't make exceptions.

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/25 12:50:43 (permalink)
    I guess the hard part would be proving yourself. If one guy kept a fish because it wasn't going to make it then that would become the excuse used by many who just wanted to take an out of season fish home.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/25 12:59:44 (permalink)
    Eat it on the spot....tear into it like a bear.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/25 13:15:40 (permalink)
    It all depends on a few things and different people WILL have different opinions and take various actions.  It depends on whether or not one is willing to take the chance on paying a fine for posessing an illegal fish OR one feels it is a total waste to see a fish float there dead and rather than see that, let it go to good use.  The main issue lies with the authorities....if they made the law an honesty thing, there would be way too many refractions, so its best that the laws are strict for the bad guys, even though they sometimes don't make sense to the honest people.

Me and my luck, I go with letting the fish lie, but I fish with my dad a lot who would probably hide it in some compartment somewhere in my boat!

dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/25 13:43:11 (permalink)
    hey it's only illegal if you're dumb enough to get caught
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/25 22:41:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

It all depends on a few things and different people WILL have different opinions and take various actions.  It depends on whether or not one is willing to take the chance on paying a fine for posessing an illegal fish OR one feels it is a total waste to see a fish float there dead and rather than see that, let it go to good use.  The main issue lies with the authorities....if they made the law an honesty thing, there would be way too many refractions, so its best that the laws are strict for the bad guys, even though they sometimes don't make sense to the honest people.

Me and my luck, I go with letting the fish lie, but I fish with my dad a lot who would probably hide it in some compartment somewhere in my boat!

That was basically my thinking, the law has to be there for those that are dishonest or would break the rules.  It just crossed my mind when I mortally injured a legal fish.  I would most likely leave it belly up in the out of season case but hate doing that, as I could imagine most guys dont like when a dead fish comes floating past you, plus i will put it to use.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/25 23:25:01 (permalink)
    ethics and legalities parallel. it is ethical to follow the rule of law.

Surprised to hear that from you, Rap. I gotta totally disagree on that. There's nothing more or less ethical about keeping a trout the night before the season opener instead of a few hours later. Legally, its like night and day, ethically, its a guy keeping a fish, just with a few hours difference. Its the same in this situation. Unfortunately, the law prevents the practice of good ethics.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 10:22:05 (permalink)
    I have to disagree Cold. At least to an extent. The law in the case of seasons/limits, is not so much about ethics as it is preserving the fishery, or at least extending it's viability. Giving the most opportunity to the most anglers. As such it is "ethical" to follow the law.

Why is it any more "ethical" to keep the fish for human consumption, than to leave it for consumption by other life forms ( even microbial )? Just as would occur should the fish die naturally. By that logic, it would be "ethical" to snag, and rip Kings, rather than just let them die, and float down the river.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 11:16:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Why is it any more "ethical" to keep the fish for human consumption, than to leave it for consumption by other life forms ( even microbial )? Just as would occur should the fish die naturally. By that logic, it would be "ethical" to snag, and rip Kings, rather than just let them die, and float down the river.

In that case you could argue that it is ok to shoot a deer and leave it lay because something would eat it.  I'm not saying I totally disagree with you but I don't think ethics follows the law to a tee. 

Say your fishing and there isn't another person around for miles and miles of water.  Then someone you don't know walks up and fishes within arms length of you, its not against the law but I would say its against the ethics that most fisherman follow......I would like to emphasize the word MOST there.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 11:57:58 (permalink)
    JMZ,

The difference being, in that in your scenario the mortality was intentionally caused. But let's say you shot the deer in season, and tagged it legally. You then take it home, and feed it to your dog. It may appear as a "waste/unethical" to me ( perhaps you as well ), because I like venison. But to another of different background/culture, it may be a perfectly acceptable/ethical use of the game.

Ethics are subjective. The law can not be, or it has no worth. One can "ethically" exceed the law ( creel 2 fish, when the limit is 5 ), but not "ethically" fall short of the law ( creel 6-7 ).

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 12:17:43 (permalink)
    Why is it any more "ethical" to keep the fish for human consumption, than to leave it for consumption by other life forms ( even microbial )? Just as would occur should the fish die naturally.

The reason, IMO, is because the fish didnt die naturally, and far more dead fish (in these parts) result from angler input (not necessarily mishandling, just added stress due to the angler's presence) than would die simply of "old age" without any angling pressure.

Again, other than violation of some law, what makes keeping a fish on saturday morning somehow right and sporting, while keeping the same fish, an hour earlier (before 8am) somehow wrong and evil? Without that law's existence, there is no difference.

As far as seasons being meant to improve the fishery...for PA trout, I simply dont but it. Trout season exists to sell licenses for the opener in PA, plain and simple. 8 am opening saturday doesnt allow for the fish to follow age old instincts they've been following for thousands of years...it allows for the age old stock truck to drive to the stream to dump in thousands of fish...with fairly confused instincts. For the regular gamefish (bass, walleye, etc.), sure. For trout...sorry.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 12:35:34 (permalink)
    "evil"? No. Wrong? Yes.

The law can not "establish" ethics, but must for the common good, and the function of society, draw a line which is not to be crossed. One can not legally, OR ethically decide which laws they follow, based on THEIR view of ethics. It is wrong, AND un-ethical to violate the law, while others abide by it.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 12:47:34 (permalink)
    Surprised to hear that from you, Rap. I gotta totally disagree on that

when a politician violates a law, he is brought up on ethics charges.

when an attorney abuses his legal responsibilities, he is brought up on ethics charges.

when you live ethically, you are also living within the law. 

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 12:52:24 (permalink)
    i hunted with a couple of guys years ago.  a flock of geese came in and one shot two with one shot.  (actually crippled one and finished it off on the ground).  he looked all around, ran out, grabbed both geese and took off for the truck.  although a complete mistake, he broke the law.  years later, i asked a game protector what he thought of the situation.  his response was to pick up one, leave the other.  i am not sure what i would have done, as i try not to waste.  the hunter was illegal in killing two geese, and ethically, he should have waited to get a clear shot on one.  

cold, i am not a lawyer, but i still think the two parallel.  imo

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 12:56:12 (permalink)
    post edited by pxatim - 2009/05/26 13:33:42
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 13:20:55 (permalink)
    tim,

Who did something wrong here? If you are referrring to the origanal poster, he caught the fish in season, and was within his legal limit.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 13:31:37 (permalink)
    My bad I read the post wrong then... GO Stillers
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 13:35:50 (permalink)
    GO Stillers

now that is beyond ethics.  go browns.

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 13:40:18 (permalink)
    Rap... it's only 1:40 and I see your drunk already
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 13:54:21 (permalink)
    cold, i am not a lawyer, but i still think the two parallel. imo

Fair enough, and I meant nothing other than to express mild surprise. Still, I feel that you cant legislate morality, and laws that are designed to do so are bound to fail in their purpose sooner or later. They do a good job of reigning in many of the less moral members of society, but often impede some at the other end of the spectrum.

Ethics are such an interesting subject. Where its only a dead fish that's the matter of concern, I'd say definitely follow the law rather than your own ethics, else it could become one very expensive fish. Things get more interesting (and subjective, and divisive) when you start considering human situations.

JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 17:01:00 (permalink)

JMZ,

The difference being, in that in your scenario the mortality was intentionally caused. But let's say you shot the deer in season, and tagged it legally. You then take it home, and feed it to your dog. It may appear as a "waste/unethical" to me ( perhaps you as well ), because I like venison. But to another of different background/culture, it may be a perfectly acceptable/ethical use of the game.

Ethics are subjective. The law can not be, or it has no worth. One can "ethically" exceed the law ( creel 2 fish, when the limit is 5 ), but not "ethically" fall short of the law ( creel 6-7 ).

I'm not in total disagreeance,  I guess my point is something can be unethical but not against the law, and something can be ethical and against the law.  I would say a 15 year old driving his dying parent to the hospital because no one is around is ethical but it is against the law.  I don't mean to pull the dying person card....its just the first thing that came to mind.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 17:06:38 (permalink)
    Just because something is legal does not make it ethical. I agree with DJ2007. The ethical thing is to eat it. The legal thing is to let it rot.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/26 23:24:58 (permalink)

"evil"? No. Wrong? Yes.

The law can not "establish" ethics, but must for the common good, and the function of society, draw a line which is not to be crossed. One can not legally, OR ethically decide which laws they follow, based on THEIR view of ethics. It is wrong, AND un-ethical to violate the law, while others abide by it.

I agree 100%. (This may be a first) We are a society of laws. Without them we descend into anarchy. You can't pick and chose which laws you want to obey. You do, however, have the option of trying to change a law you feel is unnecessary or unjust.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/27 00:27:18 (permalink)
    There is no minimum length for perch because most will die when brought up.

I can relate this subject to a Clint Eastwood movie
    He was in a gunfight and the other guy or guys lost
    Someone wanted to bury them but he said:
    Buzzards got a right to eat just as much as the worms!

Are you the buzzard or the worm?

If neither-just walk away

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ethics on a dead fish out of season 2009/05/27 00:44:54 (permalink)
    Fair enough, and I meant nothing other than to express mild surprise. Still, I feel that you cant legislate morality, and laws that are designed to do so are bound to fail in their purpose sooner or later. They do a good job of reigning in many of the less moral members of society, but often impede some at the other end of the spectrum

exactly.  and i have not always been legal or ethical, but when you live by your heart, you have a good chance of being an outlaw.  i had a similar situation years ago, that is much like the hyothetical opener here.  in that situation, i kept the harvested game and ate it.  this is not the goose story.  i was wrong, and it bothered me for a long time, though it was a complete mistake, falling into a gray area.  i was both illegal for keeping it and unethical for not being sure.  if it happened all over again, i still am not sure what i would do, but i think i would leave it for the fox and coons.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: