Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6352
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/22 22:11:16 (permalink)

Yellowstone Area?

Gentlemen,
     I am considering a journey to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole/Southern Montana this summer and I was wondering if anybody has any input on the fishability of any creeks surrounding the park.  I haven't been to Yellowstone since about 1978 and I'm trying to find out if all the land outside the park is posted.  Used to be a lot of open water but today ??? Any positive input would be appreciated.  I'm not looking for specific spots just wondering if taking my gear with me will be worth it.  Thanks in advance.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

22 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/22 22:16:12 (permalink)
    My cousin lives on the outskirts of the park (Gardiner?). He hunts/fishes all the time..I'll see what I can find out. Any specific location names I can ask about? Might even be able to hook ya up with a local connect. 

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/22 23:33:44 (permalink)
    as far as i know you can fish anywhere inside the park.  outside? i don't know.

i do know you have all the water you would ever want to fish inside the park itself.  you need to buy a yellowstone fishing license for the park, and i think the season starts memorial day weekend.

you say you wanna fish outside, i don't know much about the outside.  but my thinking is why worry aobut posted land outside the park when you can fish anywhere inside.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/22 23:44:29 (permalink)
    What part of the summer???
    not that it matters... got a 4th of July snowstorm one year

i've had a few trips to Jackson... amazing
    fished the Snake and some other water... teton park is very nice
    Probably the best scenery you could have to wet a line

If you dip down to SE WY... let me know
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/23 01:06:35 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
        It's just a thought right now.  Back in the 70's I used to go to a camp just outside Jackson Hole that had great cabins and wonderful fishing.  Last I heard it was now an exclusive resort.  And yes you're right there is a lot of water inside the park but sometimes it gets as crowded as the Walnut Project Holes.  Used to fish way back in, till the time I met a very large BEAR that wanted my fish.  At least when I threw the stringer away he stopped and ate them.  Probably picked his teeth with the pin on the end of the stringer.  I'll probably pack some stuff and see what happens.

st. croix
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/23 01:24:28 (permalink)
    check out the Cody, WY area...east side of the park and alot less guys...i know the guy who runs North Fork Anglers there and they are really good

Nick

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad"

A.K. Best
    Terry R
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/23 08:54:49 (permalink)
    indsguiz

First let me say that we're retired and have time to burn. Our annual two week trip takes place after Labor Day, so crowds are never a problem. We have a loop that we do most every trip. We've driven 4X but flew the last time. Cost is about the same. Land in Bozeman. Super town to visit. Restaurants, brew pubs, people.

First stop the Big Horn. Favorite river in Montana. The bows go airborne, the browns don't fit into my landing net (It's a medium size net, the fish are not). I never carry a net, but it's a must on the Big Horn. We almost always wade. Easy fishing/catching. Last time we hired a guide for one day. Even more fun/fish. Almost exclusively nymph fishing. Scuds, and a soft hackle the locals call the Ray Charles. I'll save you the embarrassment of asking why the name. "Because a blind man will catch fish w/ that fly". Very reasonable accommodations in Ft. Smith if you keep clear of the Orvis/Lodges.

Next stop the Madison at Ennis. Bear Trap Canyon. It's the outflow of Ennis Lake. The dam/generators are not much to look at, but the fishing is worth it. We were told by a guy in the parking area the a rattlesnake was spotted on the trail up to the dam. I'm SNAKE PHOBIC, but that wasn't going to keep me from fishing. A snake (not a rattler, and the only snake that I've ever seen in Montana) slithered between my legs as I was walking back to the truck for lunch. I'm certain everyone that saw me jump, heard me yelp and sprint down the trail got a chuckle. My buds invite me because I'm usually the entertainment!
    I'm amazed at the rapids that hold fish in the canyon, but they're in there. Once again nymphs (September). Fireflies, anything red. Ennis is a nice cowboy/fly fishing town too. Reasonable, very nice accommodations at Rainbow Valley Lodge.

Follow the Madison into the park (Yellowstone). Area just above Ennis lake is wade fishing only. We've never fished that, but plan to next trip. Breathtaking drive. Public access is limited, but available. Lots of guides/drift boats, but that is no problem. People are very nice. The river is an easy wade in most places. Tends to be windy at times. Area below Quake Lake is very popular. Keep an eye out for Kelly Gallop's Slide Inn fly shop just outside of West Yellowstone. World renown fly fisher/tier. Pick up one of his streamers. My souvenir for the trip.

Better make reservations if you plan to stay in West Yellowstone. We didn't the last trip (once again, September) and were lucky to get a room.

The Madison (first left just a mile or so inside the park) is a good place to fish. This is not a spot burn. Every fly shop in town will put you there. Wadeable, deep pools, nice riffles. But as I said, it's fished hard.

My favorite river inside the park is the Fire Hole. Fish aren't big, but there are lots of them. First stop "the falls" on a turnout just past the Madison Junction Camp Ground. Saw a man and his lady having a ball w/ dry flies there. They really knew what they were doing. I tried some dries, but couldn't track them w/ all the foam on the surface of the water. Even more fun try Mid Geyser Basin. Right along the Park road. Again, these are not a spot burns or secret spots. They were suggested by all the fly shops and you can see other guys fishing there. Anyway, swing your Partridge and Orange, or any other soft hackle that you like through the riffles. I enjoy tying/fishing soft hackles. They were made for the Fire Hole.

Last trip we left the park and headed for Jackson Hole. Again, RESERVATIONS. The drive and Grand Teuton Park are worth the trip. The Snake is in my opinion a drift river. Very deep, fast. Truth is, we were fished out. Jackson is a fun tourist/cowboy town. Pretty yuppyesk for my taste.

Other trips we close the loop and return to the Big Horn because that is by far the best fishing river we have enjoyed in Montana.

My buds and I are retired teachers and not loaded w/ cash. Whether we drive (2.5 days each way) and pay for gas or fly, this two week trip usually costs us about $1,200 total. You'll know immediately why they call it BIG SKY COUNTRY. Have a great trip.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/23 10:25:16 (permalink)
    Terry,
        Thanks for the input!  I've fished most of the same rivers in the past.  Did you ever fish the stream that runs through the upper meadow in the park?  Hard to fish, lots of grass overhang, and soft undercut banks.  But there are some cutthroat in there that will make you wonder.  Purely terrestrial tossing since the fishes main menu seems to be bugs that drop off the grass, and mice and shrews.

Terry R
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/23 13:22:30 (permalink)
    indsguiz,
    Sorry, but I can't think of the stream that you are describing. However, terrestrials are an excellent choice for Aug. and Sept. Saw two guys working together on the Fire Hole as it meanders through the meadow just before Old Faithful. One guy was walking along the river (dodging bison patties) and chasing hoppers into the river. Other guy walked along the bank and tossed his hopper imitation into the feeding frenzy. Fish are very smart, but these two were still one step ahead of them.
    Don't think I'll be getting back to Montana this fall. Wifie and I spent a week at the Outer Banks last September, and this year she wants to make it two weeks. Fine w/ me. Fly fishing, bass fishing, surf fishing, it's all good! LIFE IS GOOD! T.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/24 01:27:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Gentlemen,
       I am considering a journey to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole/Southern Montana this summer and I was wondering if anybody has any input on the fishability of any creeks surrounding the park.  I haven't been to Yellowstone since about 1978 and I'm trying to find out if all the land outside the park is posted.  Used to be a lot of open water but today ??? Any positive input would be appreciated.  I'm not looking for specific spots just wondering if taking my gear with me will be worth it.  Thanks in advance.

Inds, when do you plan on going? Specifically, what weeks. Driving/flying? # of people going. What type of fishing and type of fish are you after? IE: Fly-bait-spoons/bows-browns-brooks-cuts-cutbow-Macinaw(lakers)?

I did a guys trip out there 2yrs ago. Drove out and had a great trip. Scenery, wildlife, lodging, food, people.... fantastic. I preffered to fish outside of the park in Shoshonee N.F. (East side of YNP) Stayed at ranches in SNF, Cody in town. Fished N & S Forks Shoshonee River. Scenery was outstanding. Still etched in my mind. GRIZ country too! Cody firearms museum is a must. Best in country IMHO.

Take a look at this site when you can...http://www.codywyomingnet.com/

YNP regs. were a PIA.  IE:Some streams closed til 7-15, barbless only parkwide, no lead weights, no bait, fly only, can keep fish, can't keep fish... ETC...  Seemed like each stream had it's own regs.

If you can give me some more info on your trip, I 'll be glad help you the best I can. You'll have a great trip. Wonderful country. OTH

PS: Got room for 1 more?     I would love to go again in a heartbeat. Had plans to do it again this year but fell through... Still kicking meeeself in the butt for not doing it... not tooooo late though...

post edited by Over the Hill - 2009/05/24 01:39:36

Attached Image(s)

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/24 08:57:31 (permalink)
    OTH
         I am trying to plan a summer trip for my grandson.  His choices:   Vegas!  (which I really can't fault, heh, heh, but his mother is against),  Washington DC which is OK but I hat the city, the area, the city and the area; and finally a road trip from Bowling Green thru the Black Hills to Yellowstone, lasting about 2-3 weeks.  He can't make up his mind.   Was planning a trip to Newfoundland to fish the Miramichi for atlantics but that fell through, due to logistics and co-ordination.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/24 09:00:08 (permalink)
    Jack,
    When I was there "84", we just drove up without any real reliable information. We spent 12 days in the area ( not all spent fishing) and got most of our info from the park rangers. Also, from the shops in the park where you can buy flies and rent equipment and other fishermen camping near us. That info turned out to be very reliable. But I'm sure things have changed with the increase of fly fishermen in the last decade.
    And yea, you could stand on the bank of Firehole and chum live hoppers.
    We were there the last week of July/first week of August. I remember the middle Yellowstone River being crowded, even by todays standards. Still, many places to fish but finding parking was tough, wading even tougher. We settled for smaller water and ponds. There's a lot of it.
    Some of the biggest fish were caught before dark, right off the Yellowstone Lakeshore, just a stones throw from our camp.
    We spend time near Jackson Hole but more or less, took in the sights.  But, I'll agree with everyone who had mentioned fishing nearer Cody or away from the park. Way less people and a lot of fish.

DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/24 09:12:34 (permalink)
    Get some Jakes spoons and fish the lake for cutthroat.  Its a blast!  or Charter a boat.  well worth it!
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/24 22:35:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

OTH
        I am trying to plan a summer trip for my grandson.  His choices:   Vegas!  (which I really can't fault, heh, heh, but his mother is against),  Washington DC which is OK but I hat the city, the area, the city and the area; and finally a road trip from Bowling Green thru the Black Hills to Yellowstone, lasting about 2-3 weeks.  He can't make up his mind.   Was planning a trip to Newfoundland to fish the Miramichi for atlantics but that fell through, due to logistics and co-ordination.

Ind, sounds like you gave him too many choices. Hope he goes with you. Really is a trip of a lifetime for most. Three weeks is the minumum I would do. Take the trip through Rapid City-Mt Rushmore/Black Hills/Deadwood. Badlands SD too! So many interesting things to see. Took my nephew with us on our trip and the trip is still the highlight of his teen years. Worth every penny. He bugs me to go every year since.

Reason I asked about trip time was because of snow melt. By mid July, everything is usually running good and clear streamwise. Heavy rains can also muddy up the rivers for a while.

Best of luck. Hope your trip comes together and you have a great n safe trip.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/25 00:31:42 (permalink)
    OTH,
        You're right about too many choices and my map reading sucks "The Miramichi is in NEW BRUNSWICK!".  He can't make up his mind but since my health is going; I'm determined to give him at least one great memory.  Was planning: Bowling Green to Omaha,  Omaha to Mt rushmore (fishing is a possibility in the black hills)  then Mt. Rushmore to Rapid city;  Rapid city to Bozeman;  Bozeman to Yellowstone (5-6 days)  Yellowstone to Colorado Springs  (4th of july at the pikes peak hillclimb)  Colo Springs to the Arkansas River (2 days fishing) then 2 days driving from Pueblo back to Bowling Green.  If we go to Vegas we will be taking the three day float trip down the colorado below the dam.  Fly fishing for rainbows in the cold water below the dam.  45 miles of trout and hard camping.  Thank goodness for vicoden.
       Any trip will leave me pretty well wacked but to me he is worth it

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/25 00:46:55 (permalink)
    Ind, sounds like one heck of a great trip. Never had time to fish Black Hills. Wish we did. Spectacular scenery.  If you can hit Cody Wy. for a night, they have the rodeo there everynight. Cody gun museum is a must. A trip down the Colorado is on my bucket list as well as the state itself.

How old is your grandson? Getting teenage kids to go along can be tough at that "age". Several western states give kids learner permits at 15. As an incentive, maybe tell him you'll try to get him a permit at a DMV. (Most websites don not state you have to be a resident) A trip to the bunny ranch might give him some inspiration.

Hope it all comes together for ya. A great trip it will be. Memories for a lifetime. Go for it!

OVER THE HILL

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/25 12:18:48 (permalink)
    Indy if he can't go I can pretend to be your grandson for a couple of weeks.

LeT mE nO
    post edited by rollcaster - 2009/05/25 12:20:13
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/25 15:08:36 (permalink)
    Indy , I wanna see lots of pics posted on here so I can make believe I was there too. Cause I probably will never have the chance to go there in person. But plenty of pics will make me dream I was. Have a great and safe trip. 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/25 15:20:49 (permalink)
    Another missed fishing hole in Black Hills SD. Local word had it that it is great for trout... NEXT TIME!
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2009/05/25 15:21:56

Attached Image(s)

OVER THE HILL

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/26 02:15:32 (permalink)
    OTH -  He's 13!  No bunnies

Deetz - Can't post pix since I have dial-up and it would take me all day to post 1.  But you would be suprised at how inexpensive a trip can be IF you don't splurge.  7 days in Vegas with float trip 3K,  Drive to yellowstone, 2.5 k, trip to NB to the Miramichi: drive 3.5k, flight 3k  (the biggest expense is the lodging and food)  I've been saving for two years for this.

rollcaster - I just wish he would decide which trip he wants.  I can only do 1.

right now it looks like Vegas, with D.C. coming in a close 2d,  Yellowstone 3d and NB- a distant 4th>  I will try to post some kind of pics or a link.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/26 07:28:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Over the Hill
     Cody gun museum is a must.

Yep, When I went, it was the Winchester Museum but heard they now have the greatest collection of Colt.
    Someone pocketed my Zippo-Winchester lighter at the bar in town.  I thought I was over it until now.
    Even while camping in Yellowstone, more than once we found ourselves driving the 2 hours back to Cody for another day/night trip.  
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/26 12:03:54 (permalink)
    Dano, Silver Dollar Bar? lOl...

Ind, 13 can be a good age. Young enough to still follow along and old enough so he can take care of himself. Just joking about the rabbits... One thing you can mention to him is the friendships he will make. Staying at various lodges/motels with the pools and arcades, my nephew met many real nice kids to "hang out" with during our down time. Meeting fellow travelers was a nice part of the trip for us too. Does he have a laptop? Wi-Fi is available just about everywhere out west (many roadside rests have it). He can keep in contact with/friends family easily if he has one. You can post your pics too!

In any event, you have nice trips lined up to be with him. Hats off to you for being a good grandparent and making the time and saving to do it. Have a great time with anyone you choose.

OVER THE HILL

stlrhead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Yellowstone Area? 2009/05/28 17:38:32 (permalink)
    My in-laws live in Bozeman so when we go out thats our home base ,I usually only fish within about 20  miles around the house .You would definately not be disappointewd in traveling from Bozeman to Ennis but would probly never make Yellowstone for not wanting to leave the Madison.Just along the highway alone is more water than you could work in a year.The Yellowstone Rivewr is also easily accessible from bozeman (about 3 miles outside town) and can be followed to park,seems to be more people on it tho.My favorite is the little yellowstone on the other side of town.
    We will eventually be moving west once the kids are off to college  still 7 yrs away!  but any ditch practically holds fish I LOVE IT!!!!

Mark

The true character of a man is who are you when nobodys looking
    Jump to: