Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/29 12:30:07 (permalink)

Fly Fishing For Carp

Anyone ever do it?
Are there patterns for Carp? I have heard of the black raspberry/Mullberry pattern, but nothing else.
I have made a cast to some on occasion, but never seriously. I know it is a big thing in Europe. They call it Chub Fishing. I would like to dedicate some time to it. I have heard they can be taken on a dry fly.
Any help out there???

Lyrical

20 Replies Related Threads

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/03/29 20:47:40 (permalink)
    I've caught them on wooly buggers, crayfish and hares ear nymphs.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/03/29 21:44:57 (permalink)
    I've never caught them on a fly but sure like catching them on a flyrod. In the spring and summer mornings I will often walk the shore line and look for their mud boils then throw to them with a flyrod(no weight) and small piece of doughball. Ones about 4 - 7 pounds are fun and can be controlled quite easily but when you hook into one over 10 pounds they can strip line like a steelhead. I use a six weight rod and small reel similar to what you would use for trout.....my own doughball.....and usually a size 10 or 12 hook similar to a salmon egg hook.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    woodenbobber
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/03/30 07:24:59 (permalink)
    I have cheated a bit.
    I go to the pym spillway with the flyrod and a loaf of bread.
    I tie on a large number 1 hook, make a ball of bead, plop it out there, and wait.
    Fish on-

Fun, Fun, Fun!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/03/30 14:57:51 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Come to think of it I did have one suck in a Sculpin fly once. Of coarse I got excited & pulled it right back out. LOL.

Lyrical
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/03/30 15:17:57 (permalink)
    Give Pymatunning a try, get lots of them there every year. They feed so much on the bread that people feed them, I tie a bread fly of out white polly fill and they hit ot pretty good. Also they feed them a lot of dog/fish pellet food there also. You can make a "fly" out of plastic wood filler. Just make a ball of it and set the hook in before it sets up. It will float and you can sometimes fool them with that. They are smart fish and get pressured there too.
    post edited by JEB - 2007/03/30 15:19:08
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/03/30 15:21:42 (permalink)
    I've caught a few by accident while nymphing.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/01 12:32:30 (permalink)
    Im looking into some fly fishing for carp this summer in PI bay from my kayak. I have seen them cruising but never feeding(could be a problem).  I think I'll most likely try some nymphs and mabey chum them with some corn and cast a corn fly to them.  I have alot to try, but when June rolls around I'll let you guys know how it's going.  Schools out June 5th.

Mike
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/01 23:41:08 (permalink)
    Wish I had a fishing kayak. Sounds like a great way to get around fishing.

Lyrical
    avidangler83
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/02 12:19:44 (permalink)
    I have also caught them on a wooly bugger variation. I have also used the bread fly idea but make mine out of spun deer hair, not packed to tightly though. They are deffinately fun on a 4/5 weight.
    CREEKTROLL3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/07 10:37:32 (permalink)
    I've got a couple on a green weenie on Nesshannock cr. last summer. What a blast !!! I tyed a couple bread fly's for pymy this winter, I used  white glo bug yarn. A small cray fish pattern should work good too.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/07 12:22:31 (permalink)
    "Bread fly" ROTFLMAO!!!  I'll have to try that one.

Whole grain, or potato bread?
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/04/07 12:23:15
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/09 07:45:55 (permalink)
    Try the Clousers Foxee Minnow, tied with Red fox and smaller size 1/50th lead eyes.  This is one of the most popular flies on the Susquehanna, where several people actually guide for this type of fishing.  Look for tailing fish, creating mudwater from them rooting along the bottom, and make sure you lead them with your cast cause they spook easily...A true PA bonefish! haha
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/09 08:49:54 (permalink)
    Have seen that "Guided trips. Fly Fishing for Freshwater Bonefish" stuff.
    Makes me chuckle a little.
    Maybe I should try it. May learn a thing, or two. LOL

Lyrical
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/09 13:23:24 (permalink)
    As a former vice-pres. of the PSU Fly-fishing club, I've spoken to a few guys, including Lefty Kreh, who have been on these trips before and spoke very highly of them.  Mike O' Brien is a very well known guide who advertises as well as writes articles about fishing for carp in the Mid Atlantic Fly-fishing Guide.  I know that most, if not all of his fishing is on the Susquehanna.  One guy you may try to contact is Scott Loughner, who does float trips on the Lower Yough.  I know he primarily fishes for smallies, but I'm sure he's done the carp thing before, he's very good.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/09 14:23:08 (permalink)
    carpamerica.com
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/09 19:37:02 (permalink)
    dealinsteel, Your not kidding when you said they are spooked easily. That's why I don't use any weight. Plus then I'm fishing water no more than two feet deep in the lake to feeding carp. Prefer to sight fish for them since you can see the take. They sure can pick the fly up and spit it out faster than any trout. 
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/09 21:16:44 (permalink)
    Feeding carp will hit just about any type of fly, the toughest part is getting it in front of them without spooking them first.  Look for feeding fish, the ones big enough worth targeting are pretty hard to miss, if they aren't nose down on the bottom with their hoover sucking, then they probably aren't feeding (not counting the feeding areas at those lakes).    I like enough weight to get the fly to sit on the bottom and not move unless I drag it. Long leaders are a must. You want to cast beyond the fish, let the fly hit the bottom, then drag it back so it's in line with the feeding fish. Normally a feeding carp will keep moving along, hopefully it will head towards your fly, already sitting on the bottom.   Chances are if it sees it, it will eat it.   If you cast right on top their head and try  and sink it directly in front of them, 99% of the time they will spook.

I've caught them on Glo bugs and sucker spawn, bead head nymphs, wooly buggers, green weenies, and probably a few other flies I can't remember.  I also caught them using the same, sink it to the bottom and let is sit method with minifoo jigs and rooster tail spinners on a spin rod. Like I said, they'll eat anything that slightly resembles food when they are on the feed.   Now the carp sitting on the surface sunning themselves, good luck with that. My suggestion would be to chum bread and hope you get them on a feed.

If I were going on a trip to target carp on the fly, I'd take size 10 or 12 white wooly buggers, and oregon cheese, chartruese, or pink glo bugs. You can see them well, and the fish will eat them.

I had several carp chase down a black mini foo jig and eat it at Neshannock creek.  I was using the jig on a fly rod and small strip/swimming it acrossed a deep hole. They chased it 10 feet and sucked it in, somehow I missed them. Caught one that way in Big sewickley creek.  Other than that, the only aggressive carp I've ever seen was in areas at Kinzua where they feed them(those ones at the dam will hammer pennies as soon as they hit the water), or in the rivers below the dams when the gizzard shad are running by the millions.

I'm not all that impressed with the fighting ablitity of carp, you need to put a bend in that rod.   If you put the breaks on them, they'll stop.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2007/04/09 21:20:20
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/10 13:04:19 (permalink)
    If I was to try for carp at the Pymy spillway, I'd use a big white globug and put some floatant on it.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/10 19:05:15 (permalink)
    What part of the potomac do you fish.  I was fishing at Pennyfeild Loch on saturday for smallies, but had no luck.  I am in the area often(dad lives in Md.)and would love to learn some more about river carp.

Mike
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Fly Fishing For Carp 2007/04/26 11:31:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

"Bread fly" ROTFLMAO!!!  I'll have to try that one.

Whole grain, or potato bread?

White bread !
    Jump to: