general questions

Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/18 11:42:43 (permalink)

general questions

Ok folks.  I've been hooked.  I've decided I want to get really good at Fly Fishing.  I think I'm progressing reasonably well.  So far I've bought a new 7'6" rod and new reel, I've began tying some of my own patterns.  I've noticed that most of you folks suggest a nice vice, and that will be my next big investment.  I have also began reading books on hatches, dates, specific creeks, etc.  There is so much to know!!  I have a few general questions that I'm sure can be answered without anyone giving away any super secrets.

1. Do any of you use lead wire to help weigh down nymphs, buggers, and streamers? If so, what size wire would you use?

2. Do you have any brand of hooks you perfer, or does everyone make a pretty good hook nowadays?

3.  I've got an idea of what material I need, but is there anything you folks use that is a little off the beaten path so to speak?

4.  I have a few books, fly tying for beginners, fly hatches of pa, and trout streams of pa.  Anything else you could recommend?

If there is anythign else you folks can think to add, let me know.  Thank you in advance, everyone is pretty good about helping each other on these boards.

4 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: general questions 2009/05/18 12:19:17 (permalink)
    1. Yes. Quite often. .20 is a good all-purpose size for me.

2. I use Mustad and Dai-riki, no complaints.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: general questions 2009/05/18 12:40:50 (permalink)
    lead
    .015 for small
    .030 for larger

hooks
    mustads are good all around, esp when new a going through a lot of hooks
    daiichi and TMC are the best
    matthoops33
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: general questions 2009/05/18 13:27:32 (permalink)
    1. .20
    2. mustad
    3. There's always some new materials or pattern-specific materials that are a little off the beaten path. I like to experiment with some of these materials on my patterns. Example: I'm going to the Keys in June, so I've been looking at crab, shrimp and other saltwater patterns with burnt monofilament eyes.
    4. Fly-Fisher's Guide to PA by Dave Wolf

I'm fairly new to fly fishing too. Good books, dvds, and a few helpful people on this forum really gave me a good start. It's awesome when you catch a fish on a fly that you tied yourself. I was hooked for life after it happened to me.

"It's a Sicillian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes..."
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: general questions 2009/05/18 14:06:15 (permalink)
    1. basic rule is the size lead diam. should be the same size as the hook.
    for 10's i use .030 for buggers. 12's= .020 14's=.015. on curved caddis i'll use .010.

2. mustads. (eagle claw's aren't bad either) if you're going to use beads sproat hooks don't work!

3. ? you'll go down a lot of paths just try to make it simple. you can subsitute a lot of material.

4. keep a journal of where you fish and what color the flies are. a lot of different shades for the same fly at different creeks.

i find quill body flies work best if fish are spooky to dubbed bodies. they may not last as long but they get the job done.

when i tie my hackle to winged flies i put the hackle stem between the wings and then tie it in before winding it. this will keep the wings (such as wood duck or mallard barbs) seperated.

just my way, dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: