Author
Texcobb99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/14 17:21:26 (permalink)

Raystown Stripers\Lakers

Hey all,

I am making a trip with my father and brother in law on June 10th.  I'd like to target Stripers and Lakers.  Last year I took a charter and I should have asked more questions.  The charter used live Alewives, caught the night before.  I will probably try this as well, after I buy a cast net permit, but am unsure as if they will live in a 5 gal bucket with aerator.

Are there are spoons, jigs, etc you have used with any success?  Last year we fished in 40 FOW, but the bait was pretty much on top of the water.  I am looking for alternative ways to target these fish.  (I may even try to meet up with the charter captain).

Also - Any one doing good on crappies?

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford

16 Replies Related Threads

mikevn1500
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/05/14 18:34:49 (permalink)
    Alot of baitfish in Raystown. Think big,real big.
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/08 11:27:06 (permalink)
    I am also going up this weekend. Fish being caught now down near the dam both on topwaters and trolling spoons, bucktail jigs or live bait. After dark is a good time to find them blowing up on bait and get them on the top. During the day try and mark the bait and troll that depth, stripes will be cruising at the same depth. You don't need the live bait to get them. Most of the full time guides rely on lures and don't bother much with live bait as it is more hassle than what it is worth, really. You will see bait on top sometimes during the day, but usually the boat traffic keeps the stripers deep until night when it subsides. Sometimes a cloudy or rainy day with lighter than average boat traffic you can still find them on top...esp later in the fakll or early spring. usually summer early and late or at night is rule of thumb. Good luck!
    post edited by Screamin Steel - 2009/06/08 11:30:00
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/08 14:11:45 (permalink)
    Steel,

Look for me while you are there.  I will be there Wednesday thru Sunday.  In a Tan\White Lund Tyee 1950.  Probably be with my 13 yr old son, depending on how bored he gets. 

I heard they were just starting to blow up on top.  I will try to catch some bait just to try it.  I bought a cast net, light and permit.  But will probably end up trolling some of the lures you mentioned. 

Thanks for the reply.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/08 16:53:57 (permalink)
    Tex -

I've tried keeping alewifes alive over night in a 5 gallon bucket, and didn't work.  I even tried using a mesh nylon laundry bag with a frame that I put in, to keep it cylindrical, which didn't work.  I'm sure if you only have a few, with an areator, it may work though.  I'd suggest a larger bucket.  I had one of those tubs that are often used for beer kegs.  I never used it for alewifes, but had used it for gizzard shad.  They seemed to last a little better with more water.  Just make sure it is a cylider, as they'll put themselves into a corner and sufficate.  Let me know if you have any luck keeping them and what you did.

Sounds like a fun trip.  Good luck!

PT
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/08 18:43:35 (permalink)
    DUuDs- Please give us un Raystown familiar some pictures. I didn't know there were Lakers there! Coolness.

Lyrical
    AKKingBuster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/09 11:19:51 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone. We had a good day on Raystown yesterday throwing alittle of everything at the Bass. Flukes were the bait of the day. Fish the weed beds early. We landed about ten nice bass, mostly largemouth, and a few smallies. Ten fish is a good day on the dead sea as far as I am concerned. They are catching a few Stripers and Lake Trout. You usually can't go wrong with the SHad and Alewife, but as mentioned in the other post it is hard to keep them alive unless you have a bait tank. Try pulling Umbrella rigs, but remember you can only have three (3) hooks on a umbrella rig. Spoons are taking Lake Trout but I don't know how deep they are trolling for them. Hopefully this has been informative and I will continue to post as I fish the lake or get good reliable info. God Bless...
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/09 11:22:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AKKingBuster

Hi Everyone. We had a good day on Raystown yesterday throwing alittle of everything at the Bass. Flukes were the bait of the day. Fish the weed beds early. We landed about ten nice bass, mostly largemouth, and a few smallies. Ten fish is a good day on the dead sea as far as I am concerned. They are catching a few Stripers and Lake Trout. You usually can't go wrong with the SHad and Alewife, but as mentioned in the other post it is hard to keep them alive unless you have a bait tank. Try pulling Umbrella rigs, but remember you can only have three (3) hooks on a umbrella rig. Spoons are taking Lake Trout but I don't know how deep they are trolling for them. Hopefully this has been informative and I will continue to post as I fish the lake or get good reliable info. God Bless...
       LOL ain't that the truth!
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/16 11:02:20 (permalink)
    Here's the final report:

Arrived Wednesday Noon, set up camp, rained hard in the afternoon\evening - NO FISHING
    Thursday morning - trolled for Striper- NO FISH
    Thursday evening - Fished the shoreline for bass - caught 6 but all under 12"
    Friday Morning - slept in
    Friday evening - Fished with son for bluegill\bass\etc - caught 120 total mostly very small blue gills, with an occasional rock bass, and a nice 11" perch. 
    Saturday AM - trolled for striper - Only caught an 18" Lake Trout (first one).
    Saturday PM - Didn't fish - tired of getting beat up by the weekend pleasure boaters
    Sunday - tore down camp and went home.

All in all a fun trip, but dissapointed I didn't get into any striper action.  Guides said the striper fishing definitely slowed down.  I saw one caught while I was trolling.  I never did get to try catch bait fish.  Too tired by the end of the day.

Steel, did you do any good?

Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/16 13:03:42 (permalink)
    LOL, I got my plans changed last minute, but a buddy went up. Waiting for him to get back on wednesday, but I did hear they were hitting stripers in the lower end from 3 to the dam. What are did you fish? I hit another smaller lake and picked up 4 smaller stripers and a bass on friday night. Sorry to hear you missed the stripers. Your absolute best bet right now with the summmer boat traffic is night fishing and the easiest way to get 'em is to just drift back and forth along the dam throwing topwaters as the alewife are lighting it up there right now. The fish will be there. Otherwise it's a really big lake and they can be irritating to find but the dam breast is always good, as is trough creek bay for trolling.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/16 13:52:15 (permalink)
    We were at mm 2 to dam.  Ya, I shoulda done the night bite.  I am heading back on July 5-12, so that is a definite.  Just myself and Misty (trusting companion yellow lab). 

Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/17 05:52:31 (permalink)
    You were in the right area. Did you see the guides close by? They've been hammerin' 'em in that area last week or so. Curious what set up you were using, dept, etc. I should be hearing from my bud in next day or so, I can let u know what i find out.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/17 09:31:35 (permalink)
    Anyone know what the striper charters are running or have a link to a decent/reputable guide for Raystown?  In-laws live in Ebensburg and I have always wanted to hit the stripers on Raystown.  Might even be able to talk my wife into going if the MIL will babysit the kids.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/17 10:42:54 (permalink)
    Ya, saw several guides.  Talked to Tim Grace a couple of mornings and he caught one on Thur, but nothing on Sat.  They were trolling spoons at 10 ft, 45 ft back.  I didn't have the same spoons he did.  I had the riggers at 10 ft and also inline boards.  Varied the depths throughout.  Tim did say they were doing well last week for about a week.  Before that was dead.  July is normally a better month than June.

After a while I switched baits to blue\prism long a bombers, different spoons, and even swim baits that look like alewives.....nothing worked.

Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/20 23:53:13 (permalink)
    My bud only boated one in four days of fishing. Grace was pulling those midget wobblers...good luck finding them, they are discontinued (why?) and stocks bought out quickly. Fish were shallow with cline around 12 feet....too shallow for down riggers you have to be running boards out a good ways from the boat not to spook them. To the guy that asked about the guide, I'd have to say Grace (striper-guide.com)or Steve Hart. I've been with both and they are great guys. Rates are very reasonable and you have great chance of hooking up. I'd personally choose to avoid Trophy Guide service (Sparky). Too many guys I know were disappointed with them. I have faith the fish will settle into a summer pattern as long as the weather stabilizes soon.
    post edited by Screamin Steel - 2009/06/20 23:55:01
    squirrelmaster
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/24 14:35:30 (permalink)
    Anybody got any tips for catfish in Raystown.  I'm planning on doing some shore fishing somewhere by the **** and just plan to fish for anything that bites whether it be stripers or catfish.  If anyone has the secret maybe i'll set up a special rod for catfish and one for stripers.
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    RE: Raystown Stripers\Lakers 2009/06/26 13:02:38 (permalink)
    Chicken livers will catch both species...or dead shad on the bottom. Never really targeted cats, but have caught a few nice channels below the hydro plant at the dam. Nobody fishes much for them, but I bet there are some big ones in there. My biggest was about 10 lb.
    Jump to: