Kinzua Dam

Author
Texcobb99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/13 08:22:07 (permalink)

Kinzua Dam

I am deciding on a fishing trip with my father in law and brother in law for the first week in June Wed-Sun.  Anyone familiar with Kinzua Dam?  I have heard this is a tough lake to fish and that the locals are very tight lipped with any success stories.  I have been there a few times, but never fished there.  Basically we just want to catch fish.  Not sure what fish Walleye, bass, Northern's etc.....to target.  Any insight\ techniques would be appreciated.

I am also considering Yough River Lake or Raystown.

Thanks!  Randy

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford

13 Replies Related Threads

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/13 08:45:47 (permalink)
    The locals are tight lipped about success because most of them can't catch anything out of the dead sea either.   What kind of boat do you have?  Presque Isle bay or the lake are far easier to catch fish from.
    post edited by mikelravy - 2009/05/13 08:47:23
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/13 09:12:17 (permalink)
    Not the expert at the zoo... but I will tell you that fish (of all kinds) are sparse... but there are some incredible trophies in the lake.

Walleyes, smallmouth bass, northern pike, and muskies are the 'featured fisheries' of kinzua.  I'm not sure I'd say that Locals are 'tight lipped' with success stories... ask around the area you can get plenty of "success stories". 

I don't know that I'd go to kinzua to just catch 'fish'.  Go prepared to target several kinds of fish (yes, thats a good idea).  Bait, espacially bigger golden minnows is a good idea.. and medium sized crankbaits appeal to alot of kinzua's fishes as well. 
    Sometimes I met anglers saying this, that really mean they didn't do any homework to figure out what and where they should target.  Its a really big lake and not too fertile (there are no large weedbanks with zillions of little pannies to bolster predator density).  Maybe because of this, the zoo is alittle hit and miss and locals are reluctant to spread hard-won advice that may, only May pan out. 

Remember Good advice on the Zoo can mean a state record walleye, pike , or musky!

Be mindful that kinzua Has alot of stumps and you can lose alot of lures, etc... if you misjudge depth.   Also that nearly all the boat launches charge a fee ($5 , I think) for parking.  shore access is pretty poor generally; although a poor boy like myself has had some success at the creek inlets during dusk. 

You might get more information in this thread, but your questions are very general. many kinzua fishermen (they affectionately call it the 'zoo') spend time on grizzly gary's website. 

your choice of three reservoirs is interesting, I can't think of anything that the three have in common besides being really large reservoirs...  Western PA has lots of big reservoirs, why these three (just out of curiosity)? 

If I had to pick three reservoirs from the state, and I wanted to catch something blind (no scouting), I'd pick the three most fertile ones ; which certainly wouldn't be kinzua.
    Sithlord138
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/13 10:29:23 (permalink)
    i grew up fishing kinzua , you can catch alot of pike and walleyes . Alot of guys troll the stumps with a worm rig or even just a rapala. 
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/13 10:52:14 (permalink)
    In PA go to Sugar Run
    On the Indian reservation go to straight north of Willow Bay-you will need a Seneca license.

That is all I dare to say!

Sithlord138
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/13 11:33:02 (permalink)
    post edited by egg sac - 2009/05/18 13:28:57
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/13 16:10:19 (permalink)
    Really had no thought process on the lakes we chose.  I can normally find fish, and don't mind owrking for them, but the other guys don't get out much and wanted as good a success rate as possible. 

Boat is a 19ft Lund Tyee, 200 Merc w\9.9 kicker, also has riggers.

I am torn....between the lakes  (think I will throw a dart).  Any other recommendations would be entertained.  We may end up heading to Erie (my preference) but my father in laws boat would only be good if the conditions would be ideal.

Thanks for all the replies.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    Don B
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/14 08:09:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Texcobb99

I am torn....between the lakes  (think I will throw a dart).  Any other recommendations would be entertained.  We may end up heading to Erie (my preference) but my father in laws boat would only be good if the conditions would be ideal.

Thanks for all the replies.

For me, it's a no-brainer.

From Pgh., it's an easy 2+hr. drive to Kinzua, and a long way to Yough Lake as well. You may or may not catch fish at either of those two. If the weather is fair, you WILL catch a bunch of whoppers on Erie, barely one mile off shore(30-50fow).

As far as numbers and consistent size goes, I consider Erie, or any of the Great Lakes, to be the best smallmouth and walleye fisheries in the world. Kinzua & Yough Lake over Erie? Only if Erie's got 4'+ waves.

Yeah, you might run into a decent-sized fish or two at Kinzua or Yough.....might! Most likely, you'll catch a bunch of little cigar-walleyes or dink bass. You spend a day on Erie, even with only a can of nightcrawlers, you're gonna catch big fish.

If I were gonna fish Kinzua, I'd fish below the dam, not above it. Very BIG trout below the dam, good sized walleyes, and a reasonable(not remote) chance of running into a pike/musky or two. 
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/14 09:26:56 (permalink)
    I strongly agree with Don...

with half the WHOLE state to choose from and the mission to get on top of fish, Kinzua is a odd place to pick.  from pittsburgh,  there are tons more choices besides Lake Erie, or kinzua...

One of the my favorite choices is Shenango Reservoir.  Lots of LIFE in that lake... Morraine is a popular destination... crooked creek (the weedbeds teem with fish)...

and thats skipping the alleghany river; which is also teeming with fish and has some great walleyes, bass, catfish ,etc all at a fraction of the drive.

Yough lake is a total unknown to me. 

I guess I'll just say that IMHO if you wanted to CATCH fish (first and foremost)  Kinzua is near the bottom of the list not the top.  It isn't fertile enough.  Even if you are a good fishermen and have skills; you're fishing blind in a very large infertile lake.  Nope I wouldn't do it. 
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/14 17:15:14 (permalink)
    After all this we decided to go to Raystown Lake, so I will be making a similar post there.  Thanks for all those that replied.

C PA Musky
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/15 13:40:23 (permalink)
    If your looking to catch alot of fish you pretty much picked the two lakes in Pa. that I wouldnt even think about going to for action.
    mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/15 14:26:39 (permalink)
    ditto   Couldn't pick two worse if I had the whole Northeast to choose from.
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/15 22:36:50 (permalink)
    why fish kinzua? go somewhere more populated in the allegahney..theres tons of places to fish there but kinzua doesnt have to much to offer..i've put 100+ hours of fishing there trying everything and all i have to show are a walleye, a smallmouth and a small channel cat..im a shore fisherman and traveled to there from eroe and if your traveling take a few extra minutes to go to pitt and catch the big ones!
    surffishn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Kinzua Dam 2009/05/15 23:16:29 (permalink)
    The Zoo is not easy but I never had to much trouble finding walleyes. Fish the points and be able to use jigs in 45 ft.of water.I have known a lot of locals and many only fish the hard water. With a bigger boat I would also head to erie if it is catching you want. But Kinzua has a peaceful presence when the speed boats are not out. 
    Jump to: