Question

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/06 20:36:25 (permalink)

Question

I went out for a couple hours this morning. What I did was, I basically set up, called a couple times, then after 20 or 30 minutes, I moved on and repeated this process. I didn't get any response. My question is, Am I wasting my time this way? How do you locate birds when you are in an area where you know they live, but you haven't roosted them the night before or haven't heard any gobbling? BTW, I worked until 6:15, so I got out late.

15 Replies Related Threads

akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 04:31:14 (permalink)
    get a primos crow call, they respond great to this. there are alot of crow calls but the primos is easier to use. it takes less air than others so you dont keep gettind light headed. i believe its called THE POWER CROW. give it a try.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 06:22:22 (permalink)
    The birds I've hunted this year have been done gobbling quite early,6:30 it's over,I can only hunt a hour before work,so I don't have the time to wait for that 10 to 11 o'clock bird that has lost the hens.I have got birds to gobble as late as 9:15 at night,by hooting,if you can't roost a bird,I would try hooting as early as 5:15 to 5:30 am,and try to get as close as you can to the birds.I don't need a bird,but yeasterday on the way to work at 7:30,I stopped at a spot and hit my long box call and had a bird pounded back on the call,after three or four more calls I see him come across a small green field,nice long beard,I jumped in my van and left him looking,I could kick myself for not buying the second tag.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 09:43:28 (permalink)
    Like Tuna said, I haven't heard any gobbling after 6:15 or so.  I've been out probably half dozen times, but can only stay till about 7:30 so I don't know what they're doing mid to late morning.  Had two mornings where I didn't hear 'em at all.  My guess is that they're still with receptive hens right off the roost.  Only problem for me where I've been hunting is that the roost is on the next property over that I don't have permission to hunt.  They've been going a different direction almost every time out it seems. 

Good news is, I think the hens are starting to disperse a little.  Tuesday morning, I saw two hens come from different directions and feed out into the green wheat.  No gobblers in sight.  So, from my limited turkey hunting experience, I'm guessing the toms may become a little more vocal here in the next week or so. 

Tuesday, even while the gobblers were sounding off from sunrise till a little after six, they did not respond to any of the crows flying right over them.  I know crow calls and owl hoots work in some situations, but even live crows didn't seem to fire up the birds where I was. 
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 09:55:02 (permalink)
    How early is too early to sound a crow call?  Always been too scared to sound it off before light in hopes of locating them and don't have an owl call.

I've never had one respond to one for me before though -- not sure what's up???
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 17:31:01 (permalink)
    You ever hear a crow calling before daylight??? not me. In my area I have never heard them shock gobble to a crow calling. Owls hooting yes but the owls have to be pretty close to the roosted bird. Right now it's the period called the lull gobbling or no gobbling while on the roost they hit the groungd and shutup tells me they have all the hens they need right now. When you start hearing them gobbling around 7-8or9 those birds are lonely and looking,thats when it gets good,about another week in my area.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 18:34:19 (permalink)
    OK...  Personally (not that anyone cares LOL) I would tell you that either a lack of time to hunt them, poor woodsmanship, or impatience is what is killing hunters, now more than ever.  In a society where everything is Convenient or Fast, one thing has stayed the same... Patience, Good Woodsmanship (I really and truly believe this has been lost on a younger generation), and Good Calling kills every bird eventually.  In today's world of turkey hunters, everyone is spoonfed.  Everyday of the year, there is at least one show on tv that teaches guys how to call. There are tons of videos out there teaching people what turkeys sound like, and a bazillion calls out there that are "stupid proof".  Trust me, this is not a put down (the furthest thing from it), but when I was growing up we had an 8 track tape of Ben Lee telling us how to call turkeys.  Needless to say, we were not the best callers, so we had to learn the habits of turkeys and become very good, very stealthy woodsman if we wanted to be consistently successful.  Ask any hunter over 40 that kills birds as easily as most people walk down the street and you will likely get the same response.  Here is an interesting story that some may enjoy.  I was fortunate yesterday to get out early before the rain and go shoot some groundhogs (pastureland that wasn't too high).  A buddy and I were on a fencerow and heard a gobble.  Now, granted it was 2 pm, after the time to shoot.  I always carry a turkey call, regardless and I let out a couple of soft yelps.  They responded, but only sporadically.  We stayed in the same place for the next half hour against the fence, with me putting, purring and 3 note yelping every so often.  Our primary focus was still chucks, we just weren't seeing any.  Soon enough, two longbeards broke out of the woods and walked to within 20 yards of us as we just layed (yes we had removed our orange hats and yes we would have probably gotten in trouble... I know).  After the birds got bored, they turned and went back into the woods, no harm no foul.  The point is, these birds took time, they took patience, and a little bit of good calling probably did not hurt.  Guiding many hunters over the years, there are a few constants I have come to realize.  1.When a bird goes quiet, the hunter will get up in short order and move towards the last gobble.  Often that is the biggest mistake you can make.  You would be better served to walk away and come back later.  2. Always expect the unexpected-  I have seen birds literally fly across ravines if they truly believe that there is a hen on the otherside.  3. Just because you screwed up a bird is no reason to call off the hunt.  There were likely several birds in the area when you started hunting and there is no reason to believe that good calling will not get one of the other thunderchickens to come in once the woods have settled down.  Also, a shotgun blast screws up birds in the immediate vicinity for very short periods of time.  Therefore, a single miss does not necessarily mean the hill is screwed up.  To my way of thinking, turkeys in the area do not necessarily have a great sense of direction on the first bang, the second one is what gets you in trouble with the rest of the birds.  4.  Giving up on birds early in the morning can be devastating to future hunts (not to mention, you just left and a half hour later a longbeard showed up looking for his lady friend).  If you have birds that are henning up or being pressured, your leaving at 7 am is doing nothing more than compounding the problem.  Like deer, you are educating the birds and they will become shy of you and the calls you use.  5.  Every Gobbler is like Every Guy in Every Bar.  Some are easy, some are bold, some are shy, some think they are better looking than they probably are, Some actually are probably that good looking, some are content to be left alone, some are content to hang with their buddies, and I am convinced that some birds are just ****.  That said, provided you don't sound like the ugliest girl out on the dance floor (who occasionaly stills gets lucky) the birds gobbling are at least a little curious and if given the opportunity and right situation, they will try to hook up with the hen that is calling to them.  For now that is all I have to offer.  Good luck to each of you as this season winds down, Griffon    
    post edited by griffon - 2009/05/07 18:52:19
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question 2009/05/07 19:14:44 (permalink)
    I believe you on the patience and woodsmanship being lost on todays youth. The fact that hunting is rarely convienent or fast is probbly what is gonna kill it. The gratification of hunting is not instant and is usually subtle.

As far as time of day, I go when time permits. That particular day, I didn't have long to hunt and I couldn't get out until 7 o'clock becuse I worked all night. Given the choice, I would be set up somewhere by 5 AM, latest, and I'd hang out there until at least 9. But I dont always have the opportunity to do that. I guess you'd call it "speed hunting". Not by choice or because I lack patience. I was up against the clock. What I was getting at is, I haven't been turkey hunting long, so I wasn't sure if calling, then moving was a good idea or not.

I do have a crow call, I'll try that next time.
    post edited by DanesDad - 2009/05/07 19:23:22
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: Question 2009/05/09 13:48:32 (permalink)
    DANESDAD try fliping your mouth call upside down it makes a really high pitch sound almost like a elk call.I got 3 to gobble to it yesterday.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question 2009/05/09 14:11:11 (permalink)
    shouldnt need anything to make them gobble at first lite. most birds gobble on their own until fly down. the problem is , when they hit the ground they are all ready with a hen or 2 so just just shut up cause they got what they want for the next couple hours. you maybe close to the gobblers at fly down and not even hear the hens but they are there, thats why the gobblers go the other way.most of the time they will gobble and start looking for other hens when the ones that they are with go to nest. usually 10:00 or 11:00. a lot of your bigger smarter birds are shot at this time. and for the crow call, i can get a gobbler to answer just about every time if he is in the area. especially later in the morning. alot of people dont know how to use a crow call. you dont just blow on it. like a turkey call or goose call there is a right way to do it. if you can call in a crow that you hear in the distance you can make a turkey gobble.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Question 2009/05/09 17:31:28 (permalink)
    If your hunting birds that have been worked over you need to stay put at least 45 minutes and watch for them coming in quiet. Don't give up after a couple hours if you don't have to. I started my first bird off the roost, had him sneak in and bust me at 8:30 , moved to the other side of the valley and started him again and killed him at 11:00. I found my 2nd one at 10:00, called in the hens he was with and killed him at 11:30. Late in the season is the time for soft and infrequent calling and patience as Griff said. I've started 6 birds after 10:00 so far this season.
    tipperytroutman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Question 2009/05/09 22:23:13 (permalink)
    Just hang in there. The birds will open up on their own. Wait them out.

Just one more cast...............
    D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Question 2009/05/10 12:38:48 (permalink)
    Good post Grif.

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question 2009/05/10 14:39:58 (permalink)
    So, it sounds like, some days, I should't even worry about getting out super early.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question 2009/05/10 15:43:01 (permalink)
    if you know there is a nice bird there and are having trouble with him in the morning, sleep in and go out about 10:00am. some times you get instant response.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Question 2009/05/10 20:27:13 (permalink)
    If I only had one hour to pick I would pick the first hour of daylight but I sure wouldn't quit hunting until noon If I didn't have to. I have slept in several times over the years and still killed a spring gobbler after everyone else had quit for the day.
    Jump to: