funny story..or not so funny

Author
LoganWade03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/03 11:36:50 (permalink)

funny story..or not so funny

I go out saturday am.  I was there a 530am soon as i got out of the car I had two birds gobbling from the roost one at about 100 yards and another on top of a hill probably about 200 yards so I setup in a field for the closer of the two right where I thought he would come out of the roost. I gave a couple puts and light yelps as soon as it started to get light. the bird was hot he gobbled atleast 40times from 530-630 so I hear his wings start flapping and him coming out of the roost and I start a loud aggressive excited yelp. Then BANG shot fired but not mine. BANG another shot.  I hit the ground didn't know what direction they were shooting. 10 minutes later here comes my friend and his brother who I was hunting with for a majority of the season so far with a bird over his shoulder.  He came in after me and got within 40 yards of the roosted bird soon as the bird hit the ground out of the roost he had less than a 20 yard shot on a beautiful 20+lb 9.5 inch beard 1.25 spurs.  I had no idea he was there I thought the bird was mine for sure.  I knew I should have got closer the the roost going to try to find the other bird today hopefully he moved in to the area where my friend killed his.

14 Replies Related Threads

RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/03 12:57:51 (permalink)
    I hate guys that bushwack them without even calling. Had that happen to me last monday.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/03 14:25:26 (permalink)
    yeah I like calling the bird in and watching him get fooled into shooting range...havent had one come in close enough to shoot but im working on it haha
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/03 20:52:57 (permalink)
    That's sucks!!!!!!!!!! I tried to help one of my good customers out one time deer hunting.I took him an his son to one of my spots.Next thing i know he got everybody an there brothers hunting my spot.I had to tell him that this spot is posted.I only invited you on here as a guest.The moral behind this story is that there's alot of people i would love to turkey hunt with but the problem is that they will think that is there spot now.Does this happen to any of you other guys or girls???????????
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/04 02:41:10 (permalink)
    I think you need to have better communication with your brother. Lucky nobody got hurt! You should have known he'd be there. He shoulda told you.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/04 06:50:15 (permalink)
    Hunter killed in WV - shot from behind - reportedly call still in his mouth - murderer left him! Be careful out there!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/04 07:34:13 (permalink)
    How could you live with your self knowing that you killed another human?????? Man that would suck that's is my biggest fear in spring gobbler is some maniac blowing a hole through me.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/04 08:18:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I think you need to have better communication with your brother. Lucky nobody got hurt! You should have known he'd be there. He shoulda told you.
    He didn't say his brother. He said his friend and his friends brother.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/04 10:33:29 (permalink)
    yeah i called him on my way out there but his phone was dead and I looked for vehicles as i drove out the road and there was no one their when I got there.  So I figured I was safe.  It was open property...not public game lands but its a hunted area.  Pretty scary experience hearing a shot that close and having no idea anyone was there...might be time to start sticking to private property
    gambler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/04 11:08:58 (permalink)
    I had something very similar happen to me. I was set up and turkeys were gobbling on the roost. They flew down and headed away from me. I gave them some slate call and they were still going away. Then I gave them some box call and they turned around and headed in my direction. I kept talking to them and they were getting close when all of a sudden BANG and I heard shot hitting the trees all around me. I layed down and BANG again and more shot hitting the trees around me. When it was safe to come out I went up and saw the guys looking at this dead bird. I said I didn't know you guys were here, were you calling to those birds? They said no we heard the birds answering that hen down there and snuck in on them. I said OK have a good day.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/05 15:44:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rollcaster

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

He didn't say his brother. He said his friend and his friends brother.

Then he should have been told by his friend.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/06 01:15:05 (permalink)
    yeah i agree there should have been more communication...I tried calling his phone was off, I got there and his truck was not there, there is only so much you can do ya know? he was out in pittsburgh the night before and quite entoxicated lol i didnt think there was any way he was making it.  Thank God I setup for the hunt and he decided to setup for the kill.  It could have been bad on top of the disappointment i learned my lesson its private property for me from here on out...now i have to scout a new area darnit...haha
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/06 20:37:56 (permalink)
    Well, you did make the effort. Maybe tell your buddy to leave you a message if he intends to hunt in an area where you may be and vice versa.
    bert34200
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/08 03:22:56 (permalink)
    Was just up in NY hunting the past couple days. My dad and his friend each got LB's.  I missed one that we spooked the last day. The second morning, I was walking ontop of a ridge and i hear a hen yelp. so i sit down and she yelps again..i yelp back blah blah about 5 minutes of that she is further to the right but getting closer. she cuts, i cut back..then a gobble.  at this point they are over the hill about 80 yards i can hear spit and drum and another gobble.  sure enough i hear sticks breaking, i click my safety off and there i see a red and blue head go behind a tree then on the other side of the tree comes 5 guys (one holding an inflatable tom decoy) and a girl.  This is the situation that you are warned to never put yourself into.. DO NOT WALK AND CALL LET ALONE WALK AND GOBBLE! After a few words, the guys just shrugged it off and laugh about it.  little did they know i had my finger creeping toward the trigger! WOW I would have came off as the "bad guy" too.  PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE! BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEYOND IT!
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: funny story..or not so funny 2009/05/08 08:42:51 (permalink)
    UNBELIVEABLE how STUPIED some people are very very scarry,lucky you didn't have any decoys out they just might have shot it or worse you.
    Jump to: