BETTER OR WORST??????????????

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/02 19:40:32 (permalink)

BETTER OR WORST??????????????

Same store today heard our first gobble at 5:30 maybe 150 yards behind us.I had my daughter so we didn't go after him just stayed in the blind.He gobble pretty good on the limb but when he hit the ground nothing.We heard a couple clucks probably had a hen with him.Then we had a bird out in front of us gobbling but he won't come.We left that spot at 8:00.While walking out we hear one gobbling at the crows.So we made our move out around him.By the time we got to him he turned it off.We headed to wash. to try to strike one up.We couldn't get nothing going there so i want to i powerline.We saw them way across the powerline i yelp he gobble we had no clue how to get to him.So we drove evenutally found the farm 3 lb's struting together.We pulled off to checked them out we had no clue how own this property.I ask a lady in the house for permission an she said yes.We tried to get one fired up but i think they where to nervous.I will try that spot next week.I know alot of descent turkey hunters seems that there all having a hard time also.What i want to know is it going to get better or am i just wasting my time?

6 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: BETTER OR WORST?????????????? 2009/05/02 19:53:15 (permalink)
    Try again tomorrow, you should have the woods to yourself.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: BETTER OR WORST?????????????? 2009/05/02 20:49:34 (permalink)
    Yea you'll have the woods to yourself tomorrow cause it's sunday better hold off and wait till monday when it's legal. Chick wait it will get better once all the hens are on the nest and the gobblers are spending the night all alone.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BETTER OR WORST?????????????? 2009/05/03 08:21:36 (permalink)
    Relayer by that time they'll be looking for companionship with other gobblers.I hunt alot of field turkeys they say that there the toughest.I want to go to the mt. up my brothers but they sat they haven't been gobbling up there very good.I'm around turkeys everytime you would think one would evenutally screw up.I'm losing alot of confidence in my calling ablity i know i'm a descent caller but know i'm begining to wonder.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: BETTER OR WORST?????????????? 2009/05/03 12:52:54 (permalink)
    NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! All you have to do is find the right one. It's still early,couple weeks ago they were gobbling their heads off now they don't have to cause they have the hens with them It's called the lull. Gobbling  will pick up I've been seeing alot of hens alone right after daybreak they are on a nest We keep a log at work year after year and it seems that the 1st and 2nd weeks a few get killed,but that 3rd and 4th week it seems like everyone is starting to get them HANG IN THERE IT WILL HAPPEN FOR YOU!!! Sometimes you can work a bird for days or weeks and he won't come then the next day he runs you over. Why they do what they do I'll never know but a old timer told me once that they are like a old woman on the rag they will drive you nuts trying to figure them out. So just enjoy the hunt and the time spent outdoors.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BETTER OR WORST?????????????? 2009/05/09 14:01:33 (permalink)
    We called in 2 wednesday morning.We was hunting a pipeline in the mountains.We worked these from the limb till 10:30 but at 8:00 we had them dead behind us riping there heads off.Instead of them coming up the pipeline they decided to come through the mt.laurel.I don't why there been such ****holes this year.My buddy shot a 22 1/2 lb with 11 beard and 1 1/4 spurs yesterday.
    tipperytroutman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: BETTER OR WORST?????????????? 2009/05/09 22:19:04 (permalink)
    The season getting better. Hang in there the hen will set soon.

Just one more cast...............
    Jump to: