Snake Orgy

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/01 17:58:07 (permalink)

Snake Orgy

Saw these while I was fishing Woodcock today.There are 4 snakes in that ball in the trees..
There was a day when I would have killed every **** one of them...I hate snakes..

The other brute was just basking in the sun,

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

29 Replies Related Threads

MAT
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 18:58:58 (permalink)
    thanks for the pics bings. i agree how we change with age.
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 19:16:24 (permalink)
    I may be older and retired, but I still hate snakes!!!
    Steelin4Fun
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 21:06:04 (permalink)
    I saw 1 like the bottom one while fishing upper raccoon today. I went down to the dam and took a step forward and it shot out and scared the crap out of me.  
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 21:23:58 (permalink)
    bings do you know what kind of snake that is? If I had to guess , a copperhead or water moccasin. I dont dislike snakes but they do creep me out when I see em up close.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Steelin4Fun
    Novice Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 21:26:29 (permalink)
    That is a Northern Water Snake. It is often confused with a Copperhead.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 22:18:55 (permalink)
    Copperhead

There are no simple rules to use to identify all of the poisonous snakes native to North America. There are some facts you can use to determine if a snake may be a dangerous species. But the best rule is if you don't know, leave it alone. They all have teeth and will bite if they need to, and after you're bitten its too late.

• Black Rattler
    First some facts about snakes in general. Snakes are cold blooded reptiles. This does not mean they are cold all the time, but that their body temp. is the same as their surroundings. They cannot be active in very cold weather and during the coldest part of the year many will go into hibernation and become torpid. During the cooler periods of the day they will seek out warmth such as sunny areas. Likewise during periods of excessive heat they will seek cool areas in the shade. All snakes are carnivorous. Many prey on small mammals and are the best control we have on the rat and mouse populations. They can follow the rodents down to their nest and wipeout a whole generation at one meal. Most snakes are not aggressive toward man. While there are some that will stand their ground, most will run if given a chance. Venomous snake bites are not often fatal. If you think you have been bitten seek medical treatment at once, but don't cut at the wound or you may cause muscle damage. More people die in this country from lightening strikes than snake bites every year. How many people do you know that were hit by lightening last year?
  • Step 2
  • Canyon Rattler There are four different major kinds of venomous snakes native to North America and these are divided into two types, pit vipers and coral snakes. Pit vipers all have rather large, angular shaped heads, thick, stout bodies and tend to stand their ground aggressively. They have fangs in the front of their mouths but none of these native ones spit venom. Their eyes have vertical, slit-like, pupils and they are classified as pit vipers because of the small, hollowed out, pits they have between the eye and nostril. These pits are heat sensing organs used to track prey in the dark. Body color and patterns alone, cannot be used to safely identify these snakes because they can vary from nearly solid black to shades of grey and brown with varying patterns.
  • Step 3 Eastern Cottonmouth The pit vipers include: Cottonmouth moccasins, Copperheads, and Rattlesnakes. Rattlers have loose overlapping scales on their tails that when shaken make a buzzing noise and warn of their presence. Many non-venomous snakes will also rattle their tail and if they are in dry leaves a noise will be made. Rattlers can lose their rattles because they are the same material as finger nails and can break off. Hognose snakes and some water snakes, which are not poisonous, also have angular heads and can act aggressive if bothered. There are many species of rattlers and several different ones of moccasins and copperheads. I have included pictures of some species just to show how varied they are and to give some idea of their body types. But the only way to identify them for sure is to look for the pit, the pupil shape, and the scale layout on the body. You have to agree that you would have to get way to close to be able to do this safely.
  • Step 4 arizona coral The other kind of poisonous snakes native to the Americas are the Coral snakes. These are related to cobras and have small fangs in their mouth. Coral snakes are small headed, and thin bodied, with rings of alternating colors going around their body. The colors of red, yellow, and black circle the body in a definite pattern of red-yellow-black-yellow-red-yellow.... with the red not touching the black. They also have a black nose and tend to be secretive. The coral snakes have round pupils and lacks pits.
  • Step 5 Eastern Coral The scarlet milk snake and some of the king snakes, all non-venomous, have similar patterns to the coral snake, but the red and black, if present, touch each other. The old saying goes red touch yellow-kill a fellow, red touch black-ok jack. The width and brightness of the red rings varies with different species of coral snakes, from bright red to nearly black, and from over a half inch to a mere line in width.
  • Step 6 western cottonmouth So as you can see there are no definite rules when it comes to identifying poisonous snakes. Some have pits, some don't, some have large heads, some don't, some are aggressive and some are secretive, and there are many non-poisonous snakes with similar characteristics. Then there is the fact that some of the signs are so small, such as pupil shape and presents of pits, that you have to have the snake in hand to see them for sure. Your best bet is to get a good picture, field guide to study and learn what snakes live in your area and how to identify them. Please remember that snakes were also created by God, and they have just as much right to be here as we do. jQuery('.article ol .image').each(function(i,e){ var $this = jQuery(this); $this.find('img').error(function(){ jQuery(this).remove(); $this.remove(); }); });
  • jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 23:22:02 (permalink)
    View Raw Image' src="http://i40.tinypic.com/25u7dp0.jpg" width=589>

View Raw Image' src="http://i44.tinypic.com/nqz9kp.jpg" width=589>

Saw this one while I was in South Carolina. Copperhead?

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 23:54:38 (permalink)

Steelin4Fun
    Novice Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/01 23:58:06 (permalink)
    http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/scsnake.htm

I'm not sure. The pattern kinda looks like a copperhead. I'm no expert though. The link above shows SC snakes,
    Steelin4Fun
    Novice Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/02 00:00:51 (permalink)
    Edit: Maybe it is a young northern water snake?
    post edited by Steelin4Fun - 2009/05/02 00:06:31
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/02 09:59:15 (permalink)
    Water snakes aren't poisonous, but their bite is nasty, and they can be very aggressive when you get too close.  Snakes never really bothered me much, but my wife HATES them.  Our old house had an acre pond just a few yards behind the house and it was full of water snakes up to 5' long.   My 5 years old (his age then) and my weimaraner used to dispatch them with quiet precision.  Photos below...note the nasty bite and blood splatter the weim has on his nose and head.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/02 11:01:06 (permalink)
    While there are some that will stand their ground, most will run if given a chance.

Snakes dont run!

And Bogey...that's one tough little man...and dog.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/02 18:28:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Bogey,,Now I feel like a baby..Just looking at those pictures makes the hair on the back of my neck stick out....Brave little guy there....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/03 00:57:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

And Bogey...that's one tough little man...and dog.

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Thanks Bogey,,Now I feel like a baby..Just looking at those pictures makes the hair on the back of my neck stick out....Brave little guy there....

hehehe...I had a pic of the boy with a 4-4 1/2 footer still alive and partially wrapped around his arm with my son having a look of terror and a death grip around his head, but for the life of me I cannot locate it.  Also, my wife just informed me that in pic 1 and 3 he was only 4.  He's a tough little booger, and, snakes are ok...but put a japanese beetle or june bug in his hand and he freaks out....Oh well, you win some and you lose some.  I'm just happy that he likes to hunt and fish more than he likes to play the Wii.
    post edited by Bogeyjoker - 2009/05/03 11:34:30
    trigger
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/03 22:46:17 (permalink)
    I like pictures of dead snakes. I saw a copperhead up Tionesta this weekend. Snakes suck...
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/03 23:56:29 (permalink)
    Sweet!
    Angler3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/04 00:29:00 (permalink)
    Saw an eastern massasauga while steelhead fishing just this past fall. I walking to elk creek along the railroad tracks, and seen him suning, aggressive little sucker. 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/04 04:22:13 (permalink)
    i applied for a rattlesnake permit this year and it just came back the other day. anyone else send in for the permit?
    BenC
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/04 10:24:19 (permalink)
    Angler 3 I couldnt see your picture but I would like to.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/04 12:40:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Angler3

Saw an eastern massasauga while steelhead fishing just this past fall. I walking to elk creek along the railroad tracks, and seen him suning, aggressive little sucker. 

Help for those that need it posting pictures.
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_33830/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#33830

BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/04 15:09:10 (permalink)
    I think I'm gonna apply this year too. I fish a lot up and around the Tionesta area and last year seen 3 real nice (yellow phase) Timber rattler's. I'll def. think twice now about rustling through chest high brush and bouncing over the rocks.

I'd love to try the meat and have a nice snake skin wallet. Ha.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/04 19:37:58 (permalink)
    The picture is clearly the Northern Water Snake and besides being potentially aggressive [ and it often is  ] ,  it also emits a very unpleasant stench when captured . It is a wide spread species [ covering most of the Eastern U.S. and parts of the Midwest ] and commonly found in the aquatic environment , especially where there are rocks in the water . When bitten , the wound will bleed profusely because of an anticoagulant in it's saliva . They are often mistaken for Water Moccasins. Informative , but perhaps more info than what some readers wanted .
    Angler3
    Avid Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/05 21:34:43 (permalink)
    yeah, i'm new to the forums and havent quite figured out how to post pictures yet, any help would be great! i have some pictures i'd like to share! thanks
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/05 21:44:11 (permalink)
    Where is your pic uploaded to online? Link us to that page and I, or someone else, can get it posted.
    Angler3
    Avid Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/05 21:48:58 (permalink)
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/05 22:18:30 (permalink)
    Here you go.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Angler3
    Avid Angler
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/05 23:54:38 (permalink)
    hey thanks coyote for throwing that up. and thanks to everyone else for the help in posting pictures; i know how to do it now! haha
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/06 11:17:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deetz4352

bings do you know what kind of snake that is? If I had to guess , a copperhead or water moccasin. I dont dislike snakes but they do creep me out when I see em up close.

No water Mocs in PA ! Only Copperheads and Rattlers !
    Jester
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Snake Orgy 2009/05/14 15:20:09 (permalink)
    Yes, Northern or 'banded' water snake.  Even when the Copperhead is ready to shed, once you've seen a Copperhead up close and personal, you will be able to tell the difference--patterns more vibrant with more yellows and burnt orange hues, and of course, a triangular head vs. the oblong head of the water snake.

Nasty little critters nonetheless.  I actually hate them more than the Copperheads or Missasagua's (Pygmy Rattlers) I'll stumble across on Tionest Ck. once in a blue moon.  They have no interest in you, and you in them.  Whereas the water snakes will stand their ground or go under water.  Had a 4 footer swim right between my legs last summer while wading in shorts . . . not fun. 
    Jump to: