I Found Some Left Overs

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/29 18:46:13 (permalink)

I Found Some Left Overs

Been working on some things new to me. Hit some nice water 2 miles from home to see if the bait dunkers left me any as soon as the pills & electric shock thingie numbed my f-ed up back down.

Water.

Sir Quacks Allot.

Fish.

More water.

Little Quacks.

Fish.

Water.

For RFA.

Another RFA. Bork Bork.
Taking pics. got boring after that.
As I was getting ready to hoof out a bait dunker comes sneaking along the bank with neoprene's on.
It was like 90 degrees. Idiot.

RFA is a dude from another board. I made this there. Hope I didn't miss editing any badd words. Who cares anyway.
Anyhow- D- The Part. & Orange was the HOTT fly. I lost all 3 (WTF?).
Gotta make me a dozen. Two Nymph rigs work pretty good. This is a new thing to me.

Lyrical

28 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/29 20:55:00 (permalink)
    salmo- you ever mess with starling?

i just got one... but can't find my hackle plyers

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/29 23:24:09 (permalink)
    Yeah- I'm on my first bird. Am using it (The back/shoulder feathers) instead of partridge on my soft hackle flies. You def need hackle pliers.
    I am in love with the Starling. Soft feathers.

Kile the Part. & orange I do this...
    Orange silk body with spiraled silver wire & a collar of Starling.
    That's a killer teamed up with a bead head above it.
    I've been tying about 6" tippet on the bend of the bead head & the soft hackle to that. In dirtier water I add shot a foot or so above. Just fishing the swing & letting it hang a little @ the end.
    Kinda basic 2 fly nymphing I guess, but it's something I've never done & it works well. The only bad thing is getting into a snag, or tree & losing 2 flies instead of one.

Lyrical
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/29 23:41:41 (permalink)
    i was going to get some partridge... since i sold mine
    but opted for the starling

thats the basic inline 2 rig
    personally i like the heavier fly first (like you described)
    it allows the unweighed dropper to have more movement instead of the Comrade Rake and Rake
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 00:07:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

i was going to get some partridge... since i sold mine
    but opted for the starling

thats the basic inline 2 rig
    personally i like the heavier fly first (like you described)
    it allows the unweighed dropper to have more movement instead of the Comrade Rake and Rake

That's how I see it too. I really never did it. West Chester got me hooked up @ SC. Can't argue with the results. Sometimes you can have a fish take the tail hook & the beadhead gets em' on the back fin, or tail. Then you can just drag the fuggers in. Hahahaha!

Lyrical
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 08:58:08 (permalink)
    haha, good job salmo.  Love the soft hackles, especially partridge and orange when caddis are around.  Swinging those little things around is fun.  I usually drop them off of an Elk Hair caddis.

If you want, pm me an address and I'll send you some of mine.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 09:57:56 (permalink)
    "A foul hooked fish tastes better... and they fight better coming in backwards" - ramcatt
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 12:28:54 (permalink)
    Duuds- I'm tying more right now. I need some hooks like real soon. I thought I had a lifetime supply until my wife & little ones started fishing.

Lyrical
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 18:15:06 (permalink)
    I have a special starling pattern to share sometime.. SO easy so effective
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 19:49:09 (permalink)
    Get down here duud! Going on a meat fishing trip in this place manana. The kids want to eat some Trouts.

Lyrical
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 20:19:10 (permalink)
    Nice wild trout, chief!
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/04/30 21:37:16 (permalink)
    Omg Sal u mentioned Nymphs,beadheads and meat! I am shocked wtf is the world coming to? LOL  j/k

I will try my best soon man. We headed to pine this weekend. Cant wait its been a few years since I have been there.

Used to fish soft hackles like u gents have mentioned. Very effective as is to incorporate the "leisenring lift" when its in the process of swinging. Good times.  I usually just grease my line now to about 10-12 inches and let em sink a tad and dont have to throw and nymphs and is as deadly when they are looking for emergers,etc

Loch
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 00:12:23 (permalink)
    Yeah- I'm pretty familiar with the greased line deal too. Problem being the water is pretty high & very off color. I've lost the top of the column because the fishies are staying deep.

Meat fishing. I only do it once a year- if that. My kids enjoy them. Put & take I guess. No harm- though I suspect a solid # of the Truttas are wild. I say that because I caught a few that were merely fingerlings. I don't know- but I'm on it. Truff is I haven't ever fished the place that much- but it's growing on me. Ghalk does get a tad old- esp. between hatches....

Good luck @ Pine! Get someone to take some pics. for us!

Lyrical
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 09:14:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lochswa

Omg Sal u mentioned Nymphs,beadheads and meat! I am shocked wtf is the world coming to? LOL  j/k

By the end of summer salmo will be tying with foam, guaranteed.

haha

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 10:43:15 (permalink)
    salmo--- you been getting a ****load of rain?  blow outs? 
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 12:11:36 (permalink)
    Yeah nice pictures!

I will actually keep some fish as well. My buddy smokes trout and gives me a couple. We got lots of stocked fish up this way so I keep them. Yeah those brownies had nice exterior colors plus the fins looked to be in good condition. I always did find it amazing though how fast they do color up once they start eating bugs.

Sal, Need some foamie homie? LOL

KJ did u get ur new vice man?

Loch
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 13:57:51 (permalink)
    yeah... Dyna king... diggin it
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 18:10:45 (permalink)
    Lets see pictures with some of ur beautiful creations in/near it :)
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 19:46:22 (permalink)
    Yeah- lots of rain. I fished in blown out water all day in the rain. I couldn't really leave since the wife dropped me off. I only landed two fish. No pics. I didn't bother taking a camera seeing how it was pouring. My back is spent now. Waiting for the pills to kick in.

F-FOAM! You know about my hopper swap I ran? My 2 hopper patterns were the only ones that weren't foam. WTF?
    I sent my set to some clown out west (minus the ones I tied of coarse). I told him no big deal- I just want these abominations as far away from me as possible. I felt the evil juju coming off of them. :vomit:.

Lyrical
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/01 23:12:58 (permalink)
    so a plastic drinking straw is better than foam.......

there is nothing but disasters coming out of the DK

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/02 08:07:34 (permalink)
    Duncsmom loves to eat trout.  I don't keep any.

Well, yesterday, after CareerLink and some other government agencies were finished telling me how wonderful life will be through their help, I decided to head to a local stream to get the morning off my mind and get her some dinner.

Of course, she tells me that she would like two fish, one bow, one brown, not too big, not too small -- no pressure there.

So I head to some water I know gets marginal and the trout are definately put and take.  While there are a bunch of gnats flying about, I know there won't be any surface activity.  So, as rare as it is, I step to the Dark Side and tie on a flashback pheasanttail BH.

First pool, I hook a fish that appears to be about 14 inches or a little better -- a nice surprise for this stream.  Since I didn't bring a net, I try to slide it up on the slighly sloping bank and off it comes.  A few casts later, my bobber, oh, sorry, indicator goes down like the fly was taken by a tuna and I hook another fish about the same size and promptly loose it in the same fashion.

Cursing my luck as it being a loser day, I moved downstream to another spot only to find that section of stream plastered with posters that mark an under 12 special regs area that was never there before.

So I cruise upstream to a spot where the creek splits in three and I take the left most because there are some undercut banks that ususally hold trout.  All of a sudden, there is almost no water.  I follow the not marginally wet channel until it meets the other branches and discover that a huge tree uproot and formed a diverter that channeled almost all of the water away from the area I wanted to fish and into the other branches.

So I moved further upstream to what previously was a deeper, fish holding riffle only to find that the streambed had widened (I hadn't fished this area for at least 5 years) and now it was only inches deep.

I removed my hat and rubbed my forehead trying to feel if there was a huge "L" branded there.

Then, sanctuary, the pool above it showed a rising trout.  Off came the dredging gear and on went a # 16 blue quill -- close enough to for hatchery trout.  The first fish raised deliberatly and I blew it.

Not to undanted, I moved to the next fish and promptly caught it.  Things looked up from there.

In the end, my first cast was at 2:30 PM, the last was at 4:30 PM and the score was 5 fish clubbed (later grilled -- Duncsmom was very pleased -- 2 bows, 2 browns, in brookie -- I had left over wings -- can't stand trout); 7 fish released (2 could not have been legal); and four fish shook off -- including the two I lost like a bonehead.

And I never saw another person on the stream.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/02 12:11:15 (permalink)
    Sounds goot. 12 Trouts in 2 hours. I usually just block the bad things out.
    Like yesterday I lost 12 of the 14 flies I had made up.
    When I cleaned my 2 fish the one was rather mushy. I guess I stepped on it. I don't care- I don't like em either.

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/04 06:56:03 (permalink)
    I blocked the out.  It just started out not going too well.

Yeah, the fishing was good.  I didn't hit a couple of spots that I wanted to due to a deadline with the grill.

What I found amazing is that there was no one there on a sunny Friday afternoon.  And they are stocking again this week.  The resource is definately underutilized -- not that I am complaining.

Duncsdad

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/04 12:59:44 (permalink)
    For Salmo:

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/04 13:15:33 (permalink)
    i love how your wrapped the SJW around the foam...killer "box management"

funny thing... thats my title on my bis card
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/04 14:39:47 (permalink)
    Haha. I think they stocked around my house again. Cars parked all over. Waiting in the fish truck I'm sure...

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/16 09:59:20 (permalink)
    When my fishing time was at a premium, I never much fished for stockies, instead spending the chosen days pursuing trout in the Little J and Spring Creek (okay, okay, since some of the fish in the Little J were released as fingerlings, technically they are stockies too).

But with some free time, like when my DSL was out for two days (funny thing, that geeky guy with all those people and bucket trucks and helicopters for the network was nowhere to be found -- just some guy named "David" that had a different accent that I could barely understand-- who, by the way, coded the problem wrong and it took a guy from Maryland to fix it in less than 1 minute once he coded the issue correctly), thereby preventing any real internet work, I have been able to spend some time chasing pelletheads.

I have fished the same stream now three times for a total of about 8 hours.  Number of trout caught = 54 or one about every 8-9 minutes.  Number of other fishermen seen = 3 -- all within 100 feet of each other.

Since there hasn't been a bunch of surface activity, I have actually been fishing nymphs (boo!!!).  The scary thing is, since I only fish (with the exception of steelhead) nymphs probably less that 5% of the time, how many fish could regular Dark Siders that have opposite dry fly/nymph usage ratios and know what they are doing catch?  It would be like watching a vacuum cleaner go through the water if it were The Drake or Silverkype on the other end of the rod instead of me.

The coolest thing (other than the approximately 16" brookie I caught on Thursday) though, was three consecutive drifts I made through a deep run using a flashback BH HR.  The first drift produced a brookie, the second a rainbow, and the third a brown.  I have caught fish on three consecutive casts before (I think the best I ever had was 7 in a row -- caddis on the Little J) and I have caught all three species during the same trip on the same stream before, but never three species on three consecutive casts before.  I realize that was just the luck of the stocking bucket draw (they stocked a week before the trip), but it was cool.

Still, with all the success I have had recently with the pelletheads (Duncsmom says she has enough for the year), I can't wait for the Sulphurs to start on the Little J (and the water to be cooperative) so that I can start fishing dries over actively rising fish again.

But until then, I am going to hammer some more stockies.  There are several other areas I haven't ventured to yet that I am sure are holding left overs.  It would be neat to put a whole day on the water just to see how many can be caught.

Duncsdad

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/17 12:24:56 (permalink)
    I hear ya. Cool thing about the 3 in a row. Last Sat. was my last trip on stocked waters too. Time to hit my sweetheart every evening I can.
    I got out Thursday eve. with the boy. Saw a Sulphurs coming off all evening, but no fish rose the entire time.
    Friday night I hit a section that has fished poorly the last few years, but it's my fav. meadow. Anyhow I saw a few fish rising & Just 5 or so Sulphurs. Just about dark I thought I saw a glint on the opposite bank. I cast & saw the glint again as my fly drifted over as best as I could tell (it was pretty dark).  So I set the hook & expected to drag a little one across the water. I couldn't move the fish. When it finally figured out it was hooked it instantly dove into the weeds & used them to pop the fly out. It was awesome.

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: I Found Some Left Overs 2009/05/22 13:19:56 (permalink)
    The leftovers are getting a little thin.  With about 1/3 less water volume; warmer water temperatures; 3 weeks since the last stocking; fish being harvested; and my obvious and admitted poor techinical nymphing skills, it took almost 3 hours to catch 4 this morning.

This was my last trip to this stream for the year.  Its off to the Little J from now until the end of June.

Duncsdad

Jump to: