TURKEY SOUNDS

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/27 21:32:29 (permalink)

TURKEY SOUNDS

I can make every sound expect the gobble.I was reading the turkey hunting magazine today.It has an article in there about how to use mouth calls.I called many turkeys in my days but what i was wondering what do they mean by the first note of a yelp is suppose to be clear?I never gave this much thought maybe i do it maybe i don't.Can someone give me some info on how to know if i'm doing or not?

4 Replies Related Threads

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: TURKEY SOUNDS 2009/04/28 19:51:56 (permalink)
    My best advice, don't do it!!!  It is a neat parlor trick, but a surefire way to get you busted with a load of number 5's.  There has NEVER been a bird worth that risk.  For those who would reply "I will never get shot, I am private property", they are very likely to be the ones getting smacked by a careless, sneaking tresspasser.  The same guys who would tell you this are the same one's who get treestands stolen... but don't worry, it could never happen to them because they hunt on private property. 
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: TURKEY SOUNDS 2009/04/28 22:54:17 (permalink)
    I'm with Griffon one this one. Its just not worth it and quite frankly it maybe an accident waiting to happen IMO. A buddy uses a gobbler tube with success at times, but its not for me, I have three children. To each his own.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: TURKEY SOUNDS 2009/04/28 23:00:48 (permalink)
    I think i worded what i was trying to ask  with the wrong words.I'm trying to figure out how to get a clear first note of the yelp.Sorry about the confusing.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: TURKEY SOUNDS 2009/04/29 21:37:23 (permalink)
    Your notes will change depending on how much tounge pressure and volume of air you put on the call. Also experiment with moving the call forward and back on the roof of your mouth. Get a tape of a good sounding caller or real hen then move the call around in your mouth and change the pressure and volume of air on the call trying to imitate the sounds your hearing.
    Jump to: