Bows for turkey

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/09 21:58:08 (permalink)

Bows for turkey

How many are chasing the birds with string and stick??

The fella I hunt with we carry only our bows. Haven't used the scatterguns for a few years now..

I've missed a couple but have yet to connect with a Tom..
My hunting partner took 2 birds last year with his bow...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

21 Replies Related Threads

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/10 00:15:25 (permalink)
    Count me in Bings.
    Bow only for me this spring.
    Scatter guns are just too easy anymore.

Ironhed
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/10 06:47:20 (permalink)
    ......STUD!!!!

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/13 23:15:32 (permalink)
    Like it isn't hard enough. Respect to anyone who does it this way.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/14 12:27:26 (permalink)
    I have never went spring gobbler.  Never decided to put the fly reel down for it.   I try to shoot one every year in fall but get busted everytime.  Got back on two last year, one was too far and the other nailed me. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/14 13:42:51 (permalink)
    I've cut feathers off four of them but never drew any blood. I've been shooting some in anticipation of trying for one this spring with my second tag.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/15 14:18:23 (permalink)
    I passed through one 3 years ago.  Fall bird.  Arrow covered with blood, fat and feathers but watched the bird fly over 500 yards.  Never did find him.

Ironhed
    brett b
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/16 18:39:40 (permalink)
    Got my only turkey with my Bow. About 7" beard got a full mount done on it. Thats all I hunt with now its alot more challanging thats for shore.

HEAVEN=LIFE,KIDS AND FLY FISHING
    rcm814
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/22 21:05:12 (permalink)
    do you need a archery permit for turkeys?

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/23 07:09:13 (permalink)
    no

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/23 13:24:42 (permalink)
    I'd rather fish, too many ticks in the woods for my liking. 
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/28 18:59:26 (permalink)
    I may shoot one in the fall with a bow, but only in the head (did that this past fall and have killed a couple others this way).  I have never felt good if I made a marginal hit on a deer, even if it was recovered.  I have killed a few birds with good body shots.  However, I can assure you that a marginal hit on a turkey is much more likely to result in a wounding slow death than a clean kill.  To me personally, I will never body-shoot another turkey.  I have lost more than a couple of them and know many people that have never recovered an arrow shot bird.  I can promise you (I know this first hand) that most of the birds shot with arrows on tv are not recovered.  Many of them are different birds that someone else has shot, or the same bird that someone has finished off with a solid load of 5's.  Even when the bird is recovered, if any tracking is involved it usually includes several members of a tracking party and a good nosed dog.  I will not knock anyone for using a bow, but you should probably be ready for bad things to happen.  Anyways, good luck to all, Griffon.
    post edited by griffon - 2009/04/28 21:29:39
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/28 21:38:11 (permalink)
    I don't beleive that one bit..I have seen many a turkey killed and recovered with the bow..

Mabe the guys you say are shooting and not recovering need a little more practice and might want to study the anatomy of the animal you want to try and kill.

griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/28 21:47:41 (permalink)
    Bings, Sorry to offend you if that is the case.  Trust me when I tell you, my list of names reaches far beyond that of yours.  I know for a fact of what I speak (I would not have the job I do if I didn't).  To assume that people I know don't shoot as well as people you know is ridiculous.  From your photos, you are older than me... That said, I absolutely guarantee I have been responsible for more turkey deaths than all of you and your buddies combined.  I have traditionally hunted a minimum of four states every year and professionally guided for a very well known outfitter for many years.  I have met every single person you have ever read about in the last 15 years and hunted with many of them, sharing the same campfires.  Please don't make assumptions you can't back up.  I can back up my words, even though you will never hear me name names. 

You said that you have missed a couple yourself... Perhaps you should study anatomy a little better as well...  You might also think about better range estimation (Nikon makes these cool gadgets called rangefinders and they do help).  Regardless, the difference between a wound and a miss is often miniscule.   
    post edited by griffon - 2009/04/28 22:24:48
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/28 22:27:54 (permalink)
    Here we go.

"yeah right man I was the quarterback in higshcool/!"

"No way man I was"

"no /i was"

"no i wuZ"
    Skeeter5
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/29 10:46:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

I may shoot one in the fall with a bow, but only in the head (did that this past fall and have killed a couple others this way).  I have never felt good if I made a marginal hit on a deer, even if it was recovered.  I have killed a few birds with good body shots.  However, I can assure you that a marginal hit on a turkey is much more likely to result in a wounding slow death than a clean kill.  To me personally, I will never body-shoot another turkey.  I have lost more than a couple of them and know many people that have never recovered an arrow shot bird.  I can promise you (I know this first hand) that most of the birds shot with arrows on tv are not recovered.  Many of them are different birds that someone else has shot, or the same bird that someone has finished off with a solid load of 5's.  Even when the bird is recovered, if any tracking is involved it usually includes several members of a tracking party and a good nosed dog.  I will not knock anyone for using a bow, but you should probably be ready for bad things to happen.  Anyways, good luck to all, Griffon.

Thats a load of crap!!!!  Me and my buddies have killed plenty with the bow..... gave the gun up for turkey.  Birds bleed out very easily.... and with these things called broadheads????  Well, they really bleed.  I havent had to track one at all in quite a few years.....  and the one we did track, only went about a hundred yds and crawled into a laydown....... sounds like all those boys you been guiding need to learn to shoot.  And please, name some names.   Im with Bings on this one..... if you want a challenge, chase them with the stick and string!!!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/29 12:18:34 (permalink)
    Shoot them how you want... I really don't care.  It is legal and I support your right to kill them with your chosen equipment.  Really, shooting them with a bow is no more of a challenge than anything else.  This is particularly true if you shoot a compound with high let off, are in a blind, and use decoys.  I am glad that you and your friends have had success. 
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/04/29 13:38:31 (permalink)
    Once again, the great Griffon makes an a** out of himself. Unbelievable!!!
    brett b
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/05/11 16:42:53 (permalink)
    I second that Brookie.

HEAVEN=LIFE,KIDS AND FLY FISHING
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/05/12 08:27:59 (permalink)
    Saw a bird yesterday with an injured leg in the North Hills Area.  Bird had a pretty clear wound (looked like a broadhead probably clipped him).  Seems kind of odd that we aren't seeing any pictures on this thread of bow killed birds.  I personally know of two that were killed officially with the bow so far this spring.  I also know of a half dozen that were lost, and at least a dozen that were flat out missed (three of those were killed with follow up shots from shotguns).  C'mon guys, show us those pictures...  Also, if you wounded or missed one, grow a set and admit to it.  As for those who would side with Brookie1.  You should probably do a history search on his posts.  He is by his own admission a tresspasser and condones poaching as does everyone that lives in his village (these are his words, not mine).  Have you ever had a tresspasser sneak in on one of your hunts?  Ever had a treestand or camera stolen? Ever had a large buck poached from your private property?  If so, there is definitely a chance you ran into Brookie1, or someone just like him.  Just thought you might like to know what you are aligning yourself with. 
    Brookie1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/05/12 11:35:17 (permalink)
    Griffon, Its not that I'm disagreeing with you on this post, Its the
    way you come acrossed.  you sounds like you are a know it all pompous****!! If someone thinks they are skilled enough to hunt turkey with a
    bow, so be it. They don't need your approval or know it all opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Bows for turkey 2009/05/13 08:10:00 (permalink)
    While it's true that a well placed (or lucky) shot will easily kill a turkey it is also true that a turkey kill zone is much smaller and different than a deer and that many are lost from marginal shots. As I stated before I have taken feathers off four of them without a drop of blood and could just as easily been a inch or so closer to center and wounded one. In fact it was because I wasn't comfortable enough with my shooting when season opened that I did not try for my second one with the bow this year. If your shooting is good enough then go for it but if it is not, be honest with yourself and don't rely on luck. Good luck either way.
    Jump to: