First trip to the Little J, what do I need?

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/31 12:44:22 (permalink)

First trip to the Little J, what do I need?

I hadn't really taken dad seriously when he was talking about going to fish the Little J all winter. I guess I should have.

He's told me stories about the beautiful browns he caught there with a few of his friends years and years ago, and just yesterday, he mentioned that he'd like to fish it as a day trip sometime before the trout opener. While I'm definitely excited to go, my methodic, careful mentality is kind of panicky from the lack of time to prepare!

What kind of tactics should I (we) be trying, and what sorts of patterns should I tie? He's doing all the map-scouting, so I'm content to fish wherever he chooses, but he spins while I fly fish.

To date, I've still not caught a trout on a dry fly, and I'd like to make a Little J trout the first one to fall for one of my ties. I'm thinking BWOs will be about the only thing hatching this time of year but I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking!

14 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/03/31 13:03:55 (permalink)
    BWOs and midges.  There's plenty of time for dry flies from now through summer, you'll get plenty on dries.

Grannom nymphs, maybe a few early caddis

Big streamers, sculpins.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/03/31 14:46:51 (permalink)
    don't know if you've ever seen this site.... http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/statepennsy.html

you'll see the little j as well as some other notable pa streams.  the hatch guide is somewhat of a good guide to follow, but you can't go wrong with some local knowledge of people who have been fishing the J recently.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/03/31 14:57:19 (permalink)
    I predominately fish nymphs so here are some additional patterns I would recommend:

BWO and sulfurs, both nymphs and emergers

Bring plenty of caddis larvae, the brighter green ones do a good job representing the grannoms. However, tan and olive ones will still take fish.

PT's, green weenies, SS, copper johns, ect. all have their moments there in the early season for me, I would stick to the smaller sizes in these patterns.

I am going to help with the cleanup down there this saturday, I may fish afterwards.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/03/31 20:05:10 (permalink)
    Cold, don't pass by any deep holes!  When fishing the deep stuff use a big "bunny leech" or a black muddler and don't be afraid to get it down to where you can't see it.  Man, I wish I could be there to show you some places.  There's a couple of very productive places where most fishermen pass right by because they think the water is too shallow.   You've got a PM!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/03/31 20:27:03 (permalink)
    You've got a PM!

jack, always willing to help or teach, eh.......kudos.  sure glad you are here.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/01 00:10:37 (permalink)
    Rap,  You will notice that I didn't post pictures, or spot burn or allude to 50 fish days.  Just what he asked for.  Cold is smart enough to do the leg work himself.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/01 00:27:49 (permalink)
    This time of year the main diet of the trout on the LJ are small sulphur nymphs and bright green free-living caddis larva . On top you'll see #18 olives and some black midges.....but you get the majority of your fish on the bottom.

If you want some advice on access, PM me. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

For the only good hatch chart available for the Little J, go to www.sprucecreekoutfitters.org
    post edited by thedrake - 2009/04/01 00:32:46
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/06 13:32:21 (permalink)
    Headed up Friday!

Started tying light olive and bright green caddis larvae in 12 & 14, latex caddis in same sizes. Might work on a few #18 BWO dries and comparaduns/sparkle duns too. Also will have EHC and a few grannoms...just in case.

I'll also have my staple collection of woolly buggers in olive, black, and white, with a few other colors for variety in tails & bodies (fluorescents, blues, red, purple, yellow...) as well as a few bucktails.

drake, I'll be sending you a PM soon.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/06 14:17:00 (permalink)
    Cold- I don't want to be discouraging but, the river is still high and we just got a pretty good soaker earlier today.  Keep your fingers crossed, any more rain before the weekend and you can pretty much forget about it.  I was hoping to get down there thursday, although it isn't looking good now.  Hopefully we stay dry for the rest of the week and the river fishes well this weekend. 

I personally won't fish the river at levels much over 400cfs for reference.

Keep any eye on this-- http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01558000
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/07 11:05:24 (permalink)
    The high water comes as no surprise.  We're about 6 inches behind on precipitation for the year.  Expect a wet spring, hopefully not.. hopefully a wet summer !

The j was actually a deep green on the upper yesterday.  Warriors Mark Run was even in good shape.. a stream notorious for thick red mud, so that's good for the lower end.   I don't think the J headwaters got the rain University Park did.  It poured for a while at UP.  The lower end is going to be iffy this weekend.  Probably not going to reach the 250 mark.  Careful down there !

Spruce Creek looked about perfect yesterday..  if anyone finds that exciting.  It does doesn't boast anywhere near the caddis like the J does, nor what it once did but it's an option in the future.  I recall a reasonable grannom hatch there last year.  Enough to get the fish on them.  Coming soon.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/07 11:34:21 (permalink)
    Cold- I don't want to be discouraging but, the river is still high and we just got a pretty good soaker earlier today. Keep your fingers crossed, any more rain before the weekend and you can pretty much forget about it.

Thanks for the heads up. There's no rain in the forecast until Friday, so that's a good sign, and with weather.com's tendencies, that rain will probably get pushed back in the forecast by 12-36 hours in the next 3 days. Either way though, we're going. If it's blown, we'll find somewhere else to fish. Looking at the stream gague, though, without rain from here to Friday, it looks like we might be in good shape.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/07 11:45:40 (permalink)
    Cold,
         Spring Creek is just "Over the Hill and Far Away" if the "J" is too high.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/07 12:16:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Cold,
        Spring Creek is just "Over the Hill and Far Away" if the "J" is too high.

Ill keep that in mind.

If there anywhere on spring where my spin-fishing dad can wet a line?
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: First trip to the Little J, what do I need? 2009/04/07 16:54:10 (permalink)

Cold, you will be able to find lots of water on spring for your dad to spin fish.

Jump to: