LockedSpring Run - fact or fiction

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/28 20:30:38 (permalink)

Spring Run - fact or fiction

I'm finishing up my third season of fishing for steelhead, and have been following these discussion boards for about that long.  Seems every spring, everyone wants to know if the spring run has happened in the PA tribs yet.  Seems every spring, it never happens, 'cept for some jacks mostly.  Last time I was in Erie was two weeks ago, between the big rain and big snow.  Had my best day in terms of hook-ups and fish landed, caught plenty of fish, but nothing at all fresh looking like you find in the fall, but not black and moldy either. 

So, in your opinion, is the spring run in PA fact or fiction (I know it's different in Ohio with the manistee strain)?  Just curious what y'all think.

Dave

51 Replies Related Threads

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 20:36:04 (permalink)
    Ohio-fact
    Pa-fiction(mostly)

Ohio's steelheadn in the spring to spawn, pennsylvania's run in the fall  Yet occasional a few fish with either travel from ohio or get confused and run in the spring.  Generally speaking, pennsylavnia has no spring run.  This is my understanding,anyone correct me if I am wrong, I am no expert.

Mike
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 20:36:16 (permalink)
    It is fact. But it is also fact that it is much,much,much smaller than the numbers that come in the fall.  Mostly small jacks, coming in to the lower streams to play in the warmer creek water, with a few adult fish.
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 20:41:38 (permalink)
    I have only seen 1 decent (if you can call it that) spring run in PA. That was 3 or 4 years ago. I caught and saw others catch bright chrome around now in the lower sections. But there is always a few here and there thru spring.
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 21:23:30 (permalink)
    FICTION....   Been fishing the tribs for 4 yrs, and never seen a spring run..
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 21:38:22 (permalink)
    I think mgolf hit the nail on the head. The PA strain is a fall run fish, Ohio stocks the spring run variety. You may get some strays in the spring and some jacks, but mostly you will be fishing over drop backs in the spring, if any survied the Winter, the rope and the smoker.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 21:44:33 (permalink)
    Fact, but depends totaly on the weather that year.

I believe it was the spring of 2003, there was a big run of fish in late march, right after the ice cleared off of the streams. 

Keep in mind that during the fall of 2002 the streams were plagued with low water for most of the fall.  This caused the run to start later than normal, and also prevented alot of fish from running the streams in the fall.  Most of the fish that did run were stacked up on top of eachother ridiculously in the lower ends of the larger streams.  Some of the smaller streams seen no steelhead activity at all until mid to late october if I remember correctly. 

Now add that to the fact that the streams froze solid that year, and didn't open up until mid/late march, and that will explain why the spring run that year was good.

To answer the question about a spring run this year, well there won't be one.  The few fresh fish that you are seeing now are normal, and most are jacks. 

This fall the fish ran VERY early and we had a ton of rain all fall, this made it possible for the fish to run whenever they wanted to.  I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the PA strain fish ran by late November.

Fish on!
    -Tim
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 21:57:16 (permalink)
    Way back when in a galaxy far far away we did have good spring runs. This has not happened for along time though.Spring on 2001 was the last decent spring run I can remmeber and there were some monsters in that run..The same year the state record for Steelhead was set. we had a real nice spring run in lower Walnut.I remmeber the stream being loaded with fish that March through early April. I also remmeber all through the early to mid 90's having good spring runs..Not as heavy as the Fall runs but plenty of fish to be had.I can only think of one logical reason that we do not see good Spring runs anymore , and that would be the fish commision breeding the Fall run fish mostly and few Spring run fish.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 22:03:10 (permalink)
    I've always heard they only stock the "fall run" strain. Did the used to, or do they still, stock both?
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/03/28 22:04:00

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    mr.fisherman
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/28 22:39:29 (permalink)
    Tippy, Pa stocked many strains at one time or another. Now it is a mixed bag for the brewd. Could be good or bad. But it might explain odd runs during past years. Whats your guess? Any diffreant than the rest of us?
    yungguru
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 00:32:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishrmn

Fact, but depends totaly on the weather that year.

I believe it was the spring of 2003, there was a big run of fish in late march, right after the ice cleared off of the streams. 

Keep in mind that during the fall of 2002 the streams were plagued with low water for most of the fall.  This caused the run to start later than normal, and also prevented alot of fish from running the streams in the fall.  Most of the fish that did run were stacked up on top of eachother ridiculously in the lower ends of the larger streams.  Some of the smaller streams seen no steelhead activity at all until mid to late october if I remember correctly. 

Now add that to the fact that the streams froze solid that year, and didn't open up until mid/late march, and that will explain why the spring run that year was good.

To answer the question about a spring run this year, well there won't be one.  The few fresh fish that you are seeing now are normal, and most are jacks. 

This fall the fish ran VERY early and we had a ton of rain all fall, this made it possible for the fish to run whenever they wanted to.  I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the PA strain fish ran by late November.

Fish on!
    -Tim
    yu donnt no enythinng abowt stelheds duud
    yu jist starrted fshing forr theym lasst yeer
    lYer
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 07:51:59 (permalink)
    Fact: I experienced it last Monday...caught over 20 fish....80% were fresh jacks, but clearly a spring run.

Katty
    Avid Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 09:38:13 (permalink)
    I have been fishing Elk for some 40 years and the only spring run is the pellethead fishermen in April
    smoltguy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 10:03:58 (permalink)
    You guys must get some NY fish also.  They are spring spawners.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 10:16:47 (permalink)
    Gotta agree with Tim 100%

I think eggy is right on about the breeding.
    WaxWorm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 10:22:11 (permalink)
    i seem to do very well catching steel on opening day. I fish elk and tend to catch some nice fish. Bright silver, not sure if they come in late or if they start turning silver again before heading back to the lake. Some of my biggest steel i have caught have been in april.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 10:46:11 (permalink)
    N.Y. stocks several strains, none of which are "spring runners" although like Pa's a small percentage will run in the spring. They are also experimenting with Skamania strain, which is a summer run fish. Ohio stocks Manistee strain, which IS a spring run fish. Penna. stocked several strains also, but after years of harvesting their own eggs from Penna. waters brood stock, it has developed into its own strain. This is the information provided by PF&BC fisheries biologist, Chuck Murray at the PSA/Downriggers meeting tuesday night. As well as at previous presentations.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 10:49:25 (permalink)
    Many of the "fresh" fish folks catch in the spring, have actually been in the streams a while. They have finished their spawn, and are regaining their color as they slowly drop back to the lake.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    glenp
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 11:33:24 (permalink)
    When I fished last week, a number of the larger females that i caught were dropping eggs.
    smoltguy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 11:44:28 (permalink)
    Spoon., just to clarify, the Chambers Creek strain steelhead that NY mostly stocks is a spring spawner, but will enter streams from fall through the spring.  I am not sure how they overwinter in the smaller Lake Erie tribs, but I suppose most of a current years spawning population could overwinter in creeeks like the Cattaraugus then head up its tribs after ice out.  I know the majority won't overwinter in the smaller Catt tribs and will run them in the spring.  Actually, they are probably near their peak spawning period right now in our tribs.  There is a domestic rainbow that is stocked by NY (not so much recently) that will spawn in the late fall.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:19:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Many of the "fresh" fish folks catch in the spring, have actually been in the streams a while. They have finished their spawn, and are regaining their color as they slowly drop back to the lake.

I disagree, on my behalf, spoonchucker.  Not only were the fish we caught fresh looking, they were also fresh acting....unlike the ones which have been beat up in the streams for months.  I can also tell the difference between the the two since we got both.  Yes, the fish that have been there awhile are regaining their color, but they're not that pure silver color like just out of the lake....Also, these fish were definitely fresh out of the lake pure silver and not spent.  They were fighting like crazy....peeling drag and jumping an average of 5 times per catch.  Those fish have not been in the streams all winter, I'd be willing to bet on it.  Id also be willing to bet that the fish were one of the spring run strains that you mentioned, because most were in the 4 to 6 pound range. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/03/29 12:23:30

gonefishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:25:30 (permalink)
    Test.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:26:43 (permalink)
    Smolt, most strains are primarily spring SPAWNERS, but they run into the streams in the fall.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:38:34 (permalink)
    I have been fishing erie tribs since 1992 and I have never seen a spring run. Just a collection of the old boots left from the fall. The Erie fish are fall runners not spring runners. Sure you'll get some in the spring but mostly juvies. The only true run in the spring is the sucker run!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:41:15 (permalink)
    The only run I have seen this year is myself running downstream to keep a big male from Spooling me.........

It didn't work

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:45:28 (permalink)
    If you are catching "fresh" runners in the spring. You are either catching jacks, or a manistee strain fish. A Penna. strain fish that remained in the lake, and is just now making its spawning run. Will have sported its spawning colors while in lake, and will be dark until it spawns, and starts dropping back.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:47:44 (permalink)
    Skip,

Folks like us shouldn't run. We only have so many miles left, and should use them slowly.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:49:54 (permalink)
    Trust me spoonie  I don't run   very fast or often  LOL

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 12:55:06 (permalink)
    I don't run unless there is gunfire, or a bear, and it has to be a big bear.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    glenp
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Spring Run - fact or fiction 2007/03/29 14:26:03 (permalink)
    certain foods make me run...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: