Done with the Susquehanna till fall

Author
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/25 17:03:44 (permalink)

Done with the Susquehanna till fall

Fished the river from 11 til 2:30 P.M. Saw 4 boats out. They were catching a few bass but they all looked pretty small. I got 1 bass(11 inches) and one 19 inch chub. Caught nothing on shiners again. I am done till fall fishing the river. Thank god I am heading to Erie next week. The Steelys are peaking and the big perch should be schooling. Good Luck!

4 Replies Related Threads

robdob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Done with the Susquehanna till fall 2009/03/26 12:00:17 (permalink)
    shiners are your problem.... i fish the juniata river near lewistown and have tryed shiners twice and been skunked....... took the time to go out and catch some small suckers and creek chubs and i fished the same area's i used the shiners and caught some extremely large smallmouths some of the biggest i've ever caught in the J, also caught some bass on orange colored tubes. .   your missing out not fishing in the summer use creek chubs, helgermites and softshells and you can have pretty consistent 30 to 40 fish days.. assuming the susquehanna is as good as the juniata.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Done with the Susquehanna till fall 2009/03/26 13:49:56 (permalink)
    robdob, Where I live(Central Pa.) guys are always arguing one river is better than the other, don't know and don't care. Months before I did catch a few Walleye on shiners, but lures caught 99% of the fish. The area I have been fishing has been getting slammed by boats. I don't have a boat and don't need one(brother has 2 up in Erie). I never fish the river in the summer because over here they have bass tournaments like 6 days a week. They claim it does no harm to the fish. Also the river bank gets loaded with poisen ivy. I am sure you do catch a bunch of fish in the summer, but I would rather fish Lake Erie and catch big Walleye( 8lb plus) and hard fighting Steelhead(in a boat of course) and some great eating Yellow perch. Good Luck to you!!!!  
    MuskieBabe
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Done with the Susquehanna till fall 2009/04/17 14:10:00 (permalink)
    19 inch chub? whas it a fall fish maybe? i gree with both of ya though, poison sucks, but its there even when the snow is on the ground, the oil from the plant never disapates, and summer fishing as the other guy mentioned can be awsome, 30 to 40 fish days are no exageration...
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Done with the Susquehanna till fall 2009/04/17 17:42:51 (permalink)
    Still early in my area,but the warm weather is coming.The bite hasnt started yet and your giving up?Walleye dont even start for another 2 weeks....
    Jump to: